Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prerequisites to learn advaita?

Re: prerequisites to learn advaita?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

There is another view on the person that is fit ( or not fit) to learn... let me offer this for your review. First let's start with those that are not.

There are some people on this good earth that are just not ready for higher levels of knowledge. That is , one's ignorance is so dense that they don't know that they do not know a higher level of existence could even possibly exist. This level is pure moha - the darkness or delusion of mind preventing the discernment of truth.

There also is another type of person that is not amenable for instruction - the brahmanirvāṇain or the realized muni where the realization of Being is in full bloom.

The others
    So, all others between the purely ignorant and the purely enlightened are the candiates for instruction and knowledge. How so? It is these people ( including me) that have doubts. We can look at the ~spread~ of people in this light:
    • 0% knowledge + 100% ignorance = pure moha
    • some knowlege + some ignorance = doubts and this person can be called a śiṣya ( some write śishya) or student, or tapasvin¹
    • 100% knowledge + 0% ignornace = brahmanirvāṇain or muni
    You see , when one has doubts it suggests that the intellect is at work probing, questioning and discovering. This is healthy. What then is needed ? The application of the ointment of knowledge, as the wise say. It is this person that śikṣā (training, teaching) bears the greatest fruit.

praṇām

words

1. tapasvin - still practicing ; working with and practicing tapas or austerity , penance , deep meditation , special observance, etc.
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 November 2012 at 06:21 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste

In relation to the comment by Devotee, “Hearing, discussion and contemplating does help but one has to “experience” that “I Am Brahman” or “All this is Brahman”.

And in relation to notation by Devotee, “The highest Truth proclaimed by Advaita VedAnta is that you yourself are Brahman (Thou Art That), I am Brahman (Aham BrahmAsmi) etc… “

And Devotee’s very interesting (and I believe pertinent comments) that if some are made to think something such as “I Am God” (e.g. “I Am Brahman” Aham BrahmAsmi), that such a person if deep in ignorance takes to such thoughts that they may start thinking in wrong ways, i.e.:

“That one can do any sin and get Scott free … as he (thinks) … He is Brahman!” …

I am not an Advaitan, though there is no question that Saiva Siddhanta and Satgurus teach that we merge into Shiva, I do think that Devotee hits on something which I have a question about, and I do not want to get off subject but I think it brings up an interesting point.

There are two sayings I often hear in relation to Advaita Vedanta:

(1) “I Am Brahman” – Aham Brahmasmi (Brihadaranyaka Upanishad I IV 10).
    (2) “All This is Brahman” – Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma (Chandogya Upanishad III XIV 1- All This (The Universe) is Brahman).

“I Am Brahman” is very close to saying “I Am God”, yes?
    “All This is Brahman” is very close to saying “All Things are Brahman”, yes?

Here is where the example of Devotee comes in, specific to if such an idea gets in the mind of someone very deep in ignorance or darkness, then it actually can lead to ideas that one can get away with anything “Scott free”, any “sin”.

I will take it a further step. It can even be dangerous.

There was a girl in 1968 named Susan Atkins. She was an example of someone who falls into deep ignorance, what I would call darkness. She was a fanatical (and pathetic) Beatles fan. Sometimes she would have kids in the neighborhood and about come to her place and play a game on the flip side of the Hard Days Night (Beatles) album, the flip side of the LP cover depicted black and white pictures of the various Beatles in stupid poses all in a checker board pattern in little squares covering the back of the LP cover. Little skeleton heads, plastic phones and other objects were moved about the board at the roll of the dice and the idea of the game was “to lose” (not to win). This fanatic allegiance to the Beatles in a dangerous cocktail that included powerful psychedelic drugs (including for example DMT and not just LSD) eventually led her on a path of meeting up with Charles Manson (the so-called “Manson Family” of the 1969 murders).

Charles Manson believed he was God. “I am God!” he would say aloud. Of course, this pathetic nut also would say “I am Satan!” which meant to him the same thing.

He also told people such as Susan Atkins that she was God, too. Or Satan.

They started thinking the same way Devotee warns about.

But there was one difference.

Charles Manson would say “I am God”.

But he would never say “All things are God”.

So that alone, was a vital difference.

I think that is one thing that makes a difference. To simply learn ideas, or read ideas such as “I Am Brahman”, that isn’t enough. Not at all. And not everyone should be given such ideas.

Perhaps you need to understand, be ready for, and experience two things:

That “I Am Brahman” and “All Things are Brahman”. And that everyone else is, too. That you are not so special after all. Yes?

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste

By the way, if anyone is thinking, the answer is NO, I was never a member of the "Manson Family", nor did I take psychedelic drugs. I am just using what I know as an example. That it isn"t enough to think one thing such as I Am Brahman. Especially if you don't experience all things as such as well, yes?

Om Namah Sivaya

thank you for all answers.

I read that learning Advaita Vedanta is the hardest path, is that true?

so there are more people learning the other path compare to Advaita Vedanta?

Is that true, not many people are attracted to Advaita Vedanta?

thank you

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokavidu View Post
    so there are more people learning the other path compare to Advaita Vedanta? Is that true, not many people are attracted to Advaita Vedanta?
    I think of it as weight lifting.... we start with the small weights and get comfortable, then go to the next, then the next after that. Who wishes to start with 100kg and only strain one's back ?

If one is new to this knowledge it would be wise to get the basics in place. My recommendation over the years has been for people to consider reading the 'The Systems of Indian Philosophy'¹, by Subodh Kapoor. This, in my opinion, is a good start to form a foundation for learning and comprehending sanātana dharma.

... well begun is half done.

praām

1. http://www.amazon.com/Systems-Indian.../dp/8177558870
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Can chanting the name of the God become a purification practice so the mind will be ready to learn Advaita Vedanta?

Had Adi Shankara ever taught about the purification practice?

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Lokavidu View Post
    Can chanting the name of the God become a purification practice so the mind will be ready to learn Advaita Vedanta?
    Yes. Chanting Lord's name is the best and easiest way to purify mind.

If you wish to understand Advaita, Please read
    Tatva Bodh
    Vivek Chudamani (choodamani)
    Atma Bodh

Tatva Bodh is very basic, small, but important Prakarana granth. Prakaranath Granth were created by Adi Shankaracharya to make new seekers aware and familiar with Advaita concepts.

Vivek Chudamani is a very big (580 verses) Prakaran Granth. Vivek Chudamani suits only those who want only Moksha. Ther e are lots of repetation and only reading intellectually will make one bored.

First verse of Atma Bodh is

1. I am composing the ATMA-BODHA, this treatise of the Knowledge of the Self, for those who have purified themselves by austerities and are peaceful in heart and calm, who are free from cravings and are desirous of liberation.

So you can guess that one needs to qualify to read even Prakarana Granth.

As Far as Adhiraka is concerned, Vivek Chudamani says 4 sadhanas

Advaita is not for everybody. Emotional characters are generally not suited to practice advaita. Ramana Maharshi in Ramana Gita [3] says that ones who have purified their mind through sadhana (meditation) or by Sattvik Karma in past lives can practice advaita Vedanta. He further says that one who does not give much importance to his body and senses and has no interest in the worldly affairs instead of being surrounded by worldly issues are considered as eligible for Self Enquiry [3].

Shastras says of fours sadhans (qualities) are necessary (Sadhan chatusta Varnana)[4,5,6]

1. Vivek - discrimination between Real and unreal. i.e. only Atman, Brahman is real, everything else is unreal

2. Vairagya - dispassion in society (worldly matters)

3. Shatsampatti (6 values)

a. Sham – Control over mind

b. Dam – Control over 5 senses

c. Uprati – Saturation point (control over mins and saturation brings the saturation of slinging or attachment in any worldly attachment)

d. Titiskha – To stay neutral in favourable and unfavourable circumstances

e. Shraddha – Faith in Yourself (I am doing nothing wrong in practicing this path), Guru, God and Shastras.

f. Samadhan – To stay focused on the practice.

4. Mumukshatva – Burning desire for liberation.

Once you have Vivek and Vairagya along with firm determination for liberation, all other qualities gradually develop within. Regular prayers and surrender to God also help a lot. Being prepared to leave everything for SELF realization is an asset.

Source

Panchikaranam Prakriya also help one under Advaita concepts.

Other members have also given very good explanation in earlier posts.

Had Adi Shankara ever taught about the purification practice?

I cannot recall and point any verses, but developing 4 qualities as described above helps one purify mind.
    Adi shankaracharya also have sung Bhaja Govindam, Updesha Sahasri.

Mind is purified by Meditation.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information