Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Deal with Ganesha's Vehicle?

How to Deal with Ganesha's Vehicle?

Namaste all,

I know the mouse and/or rat is the vehicle of Lord Ganesha, but...well, when they decide to show up in one's apartment, it doesn't look good to outsiders, especially the landlord. I found one scampering along my ceiling tiles, only being visible when s/he scurried along the transparent panel that covered one of the fluorescent lights. (Not walking on the ceiling itself, mind you! )

Again, seeing as mice and rats are the vehicle for Lord Ganesha, I'd like to avoid killing them if possible, but if this sighting is an indicator of more to come, I have to have ways of getting them out! So that's why I'm asking this forum: how do I deal with mice and/or rats in my apartment without killing them? Yes, I've heard of Havahart traps (or however they're spelled), but too often the cage allows them to squeeze their small selves right out. Is there a way to either:
    • ...trap them alive for later relocation?
    • ...discourage them from showing up in the first place?

I don't know if anyone on this board is a pest control expert...but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about eco-friendly ways to deal with Lord Ganesha's vehicles here. Thanks!

Re: How to Deal with Ganesha's Vehicle?

Namaste,

We have a large grocery/grains' store a stone's throw away from our house and often the mice from there get in here too. I've actually seen 4-5 mice happily playing all over the kitchen floor once. A lot of people over here use rat poison, though personally I don't like that at all. There's a sort of locally made non-lethal mouse trap available here that locks in our mischievous friends quite securely. I've never had a mouse escape from there so far, though they sometimes try (unsuccessfully) to chew away at the mesh. We release them outside after that. You could try looking for any similar equipment too.

To discourage rodents from turning up in the first place, I've read that keeping all eatables properly stored or covered, and sealing off possible entry points like holes or gaps under doors and windows generally works well.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Dear WI,

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    I know the mouse and/or rat is the vehicle of Lord Ganesha, but...well, when they decide to show up in one's apartment, it doesn't look good to outsiders, especially the landlord. I found one scampering along my ceiling tiles, only being visible when s/he scurried along the transparent panel that covered one of the fluorescent lights. (Not walking on the ceiling itself, mind you! )

Again, seeing as mice and rats are the vehicle for Lord Ganesha, I'd like to avoid killing them if possible, but if this sighting is an indicator of more to come, I have to have ways of getting them out! So that's why I'm asking this forum: how do I deal with mice and/or rats in my apartment without killing them? Yes, I've heard of Havahart traps (or however they're spelled), but too often the cage allows them to squeeze their small selves right out. Is there a way to either:

I don't know if anyone on this board is a pest control expert...but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about eco-friendly ways to deal with Lord Ganesha's vehicles here. Thanks!
    You are unnecessarily worried. The Ganesha's vehicle doesn't leave Him any time. So, that Mouse is with Him alone. These rodents are your enemy as you are a human being. So, do what Lord Krishna says in Bhagwad Gita : Kill them.

What will you do if a lion attacks one fellow human being ? Will you not kill the lion if you can or will you just pray to it with folded hands as it is the vehicle of Mother Durga ? It would be ridiculous. All human beings (in fact all beings) are born from the same God ... that way we all are brethren ... so if some of them attack your country ... will you leave them ? Snake is a garland for Lord Shiva ... what if it enters your house and becomes a threat to the life of your children ?

"Na Jaayate Mriyate vaa kadAchinnaayam BhUtvA bhavitA vaa na bhUyah |
    Ajao nityah saasvato ayam purANo na hanyate hanyamaane sharIre ||" (BG, Ch.2)

It (i.e. the Self) neither takes birth nor does it die. It never came into being, neither will it ever be born or reborn ... It is birthless, unchanging, eternal and ancient. It is not killed by killing the bodies.

==== So, you can neither kill any being nor get killed by anyone.

You must focus on what your dharma is as a human being. May be we may act differently on Self-realisation but as long as we are in the framework of MAyA, we have to behave within the rules of that framework. Unnecessary violence against any Jeeva (being) must be avoided but if there is compulsion like choosing to kill a mouse which is becoming s nuisance or mosquitoes becoming a threat, an enemy of our country ... we must kill as Arjuna did.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam: We had this problem in our temple when it was still in a house, and discussed it at a board meeting, so I'm speaking from a consensus of 11, and it was unanimous. (We used unanimous decision making on all matters.) We used a live trap, but there are two cautions n using it.
    1) They can be cannibalistic so check it frequently, at least twice a day.
    2) They also have great little navigational skills, so biologists suggest dumping them at least 2 miles from where they're caught, else they'll just come back, only to be trapped again.

I would never kill them, as it goes against the very nature of ahimsa. A vicious animal like a lion entering your house is different. Then it is most likely truly in self-defense. A mouse is no lion, and actually quite harmless, like bats, or flies. Disease carrying mice are rare.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam

This is dilemma one hopes not to have to deal with but it happens, to be honest i find the trap that kills most cruel, so the best thing would be to catch them and release them in the woods. meantime the advice that has been given is very important, do not leave any crumbs lying around, plug the holes with wire gauge. that would hopefully drive them away. there is another device called Rat and mouse repeller i don't know how affective it is, it is suppose to be Ultrasound a loud noice at high frequency that rodent and insects don't like.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Vanakkam,

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    there is another device called Rat and mouse repeller i don't know how affective it is, it is suppose to be Ultrasound a loud noice at high frequency that rodent and insects don't like.
    Jai Shree Krishna
    This is very good, but be careful if you or someone of your family is able to hear it, it's very painful to the ears =/ My family tried a similar device and we had to remove it...I was able to hear the sound and it was very painful for the ears <___<

Maybe things like vinegar, mustard or this kind of thing with strong smell can repel them ? I know mustard works with cats...

Or...Invest in a cat We had mices in the house before, the day we got a cat in the house, no mices around ! They moved in the backyard, behind our coop in a small wood. They seems happy there !

Good luck with this, and like the others said, spotless house and protect the food !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Keep a cat. Debate over ahimsha while dealing with a pest is beyond my head, however poisoning is a very painful death for the rat. I think as humans we should be able to find other means to kill the pest if we go down that route.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste all,

There are non-violent traps that you can set for them. I don't remember the brand, but I purchased two a couple of years ago. Basically, they are transparent, rectangular boxes with a one-way door in. You can set some food at the other end - the mouse or rat will walk in, be trapped, and you just take the whole thing and dispose of them outside.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste,

So, the choices are:

1. Poison them - inhumane way to kill them and if they die in a place you can't find or reach them, their rotting bodies stink up the house.
    2. Use traps that decapitate them - some don't like the idea of himsa.
    3. Outsource the killing - a house cat in the West or snakes in the woods for trapped and released mice.
    4. Use vinegar, mustard to negate food odors that attract them in the first place, or use Ultrasound devices to keep them away - make your own life miserable with the odors from open jars of mustard/vinegar or from ultrasound, if you are sensitive to it.

We all seem to suggest ways that work in our own neighborhoods or are compatible with our own individual conscious. Where does one go to release the trapped mice in metropolitan areas like Manhattan or Delhi? The nearest woods might be a 2-3 hour drive away, and then you are essentially outsourcing the killing by turning them into snake food. All undesirable insects, reptiles and animals that are incompatible with healthy human existence are dealt with one way or the other. Why agonize over it so much?

Pranam.

Forget it ! We are hardly bothered when we kill billions of bacteria every minute by our immune system/digestive system. Why so much fuss over a pest ? These pests destroy food which could have fed millions of people in the world. Catching them and then leaving them will not make them saints. They will not destroy at your place but will do the same thing at a different place.

"Your journey in this human body too will not be possible if you don't engage in karma" --- Bhagwad Gita

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information