Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahimsa and the Bhagavad Gita

Ahimsa and the Bhagavad Gita

A dear friend from another forum has posed this question:

I've begun to read the Gita, and in doing so find myself in despair. You see I've heard that Gandhi's popular technique of non-violence was derived from the Gita, but when I myself started to read the Gita today I became almost disgusted by Krishna's lack of hesitation to attack the Kauravas , and how Arjuna should not feel guilt in killing them, for although the body dies the soul is eternal. Yet earlier in Mahabharata he tries to stop the war, and I here that after Karna dies he mourns his death along with the rest of the Pandavas, yet in the Gita he says there is no meaning for the mourning of a fallen friend let alone an enemy. Why is it that Krishna seems to show both a lack of empathy for the Kauravas , yet mourns one of their own deaths later on, and how could a technique such as non-violence be derived from such a book.
    What is your opinion on this matter?

Re: Ahimsa and the Bhagavad Gita

namaste,
    I have wondered about the same. i.e how to drive ahimsa principles if one only looks at Gita as the scripture for kali yuga.

I suspect that the jain influence mahatma gandhi had in his life has something more to do with ahimsa principles than gita.

karn was the eldest brother of pandvas and the eldest son of kunti and sun god.
    satay

Hi Inidanx,

The war of Mahabharata was not the desire of the Pandavas neither Krishna. It was solely brought upon by Duryodhana on himself after commiting a series of injustice on his borthers and trying to KILL them multiple times.

I'm appaled that your friend compares Gita with the folly of the person known as "Mahatma" who single handely ruined a nation and earned a title for his msdeeds. All countries big and small got independence from Britain during the same period, none other than us crafted out a false hero out of it.

Gandhi's non-violence has no meaning in Vedic religion. Vedic ahimasa has been summurised in one line by Kanchi Paramacharya -- see my sig line. Niether Krishna nor Arjuna ever commited himsha.

The teaching of the Gita is to stand beyond all moha's that afflict us ~ problem is very very few people in kali yuga (including the great spiritual teachers) were beyond all Moha and thus we have countless philosophies since Gita, but none which is so clear on action.(Mohas:- normal mohas of eat sleep sex, then comes spiritual mohas as one realizes partial spritual truths love, happiness, peace, emptyness etc, but Atman is not this, not this!!!)

Jai Sri Krishna, the achyuta - who never falls from the truth of Atman.
    Last edited by sm78; 14 February 2007 at 10:29 PM.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Perhaps Ghandhi was more influenced by Jesus than Hinduism. If Ghandhi isnt who should be looked at as represented Hinduism who should? Ravi Shankar?
    "My spiritual father is Swami Vivekananda" Canibus

5. Re: Ahimsa and the Bhagavad Gita

Dear idianx,

For undersatnding this you need to know the reasons behind the war. Krisha was never in favour of the war and He tried his best to persuade them. But every one has to get results of their actions and the Kauravs get the same. Even if Arjuna have decided not to fight they all would have killed by someone else. Thats wat the Krishna tells that , the Atman is nether killed nor kills , then why is he running away from his duties.

Non-violence of Gandhiji would not have worked with Kauravs. But Krishan even tried that. Gandhiji used the non-violence against British as they were a bit understanding people , but he would never have used this strategy against someone like Hitler. Duryodhan was like Hitler and he needed to be crushed else he would have destroyed everyone.

Cool Re: Ahimsa and the Bhagavad Gita

Namaste All

No I don't think this, read Gita with satvik mind take a look everywere all you will find nothing is right than Gita's teachings

Take for example- Non Violance is a must so we should avoid Army?
    By this terrorism will rise. Who needs war but military is compulsry. In this Gita does not teach violence but Karma.

another example- We should love our relatives and not kill them so Arjun was right in avoiding war?
    By this pandavs could have become beggers
    Even today there are many disputes between verious relatives, some can even kill for it, and victims goes to court for justice. Is that wrong? At the time of Mahabharat Duryodhan was Chief Justice himself. So pandavs left with no choice. Just imagine what will happen if court deny Justice today? The same will follow and talk of peace there would be stupidity.

Mr. All Gita is not a novel It is TRUTH take examples from deeds not from words

Quote Originally Posted by LALKAR View Post
    Namaste All

No I don't think this, read Gita with satvik mind take a look everywere all you will find nothing is right than Gita's teachings

Take for example- Non Violance is a must so we should avoid Army?
    By this terrorism will rise. Who needs war but military is compulsry. In this Gita does not teach violence but Karma.

another example- We should love our relatives and not kill them so Arjun was right in avoiding war?
    By this pandavs could have become beggers
    Even today there are many disputes between verious relatives, some can even kill for it, and victims goes to court for justice. Is that wrong? At the time of Mahabharat Duryodhan was Chief Justice himself. So pandavs left with no choice. Just imagine what will happen if court deny Justice today? The same will follow and talk of peace there would be stupidity.

Mr. All Gita is not a novel It is TRUTH take examples from deeds not from words
    excellent post Lalkarji.This stupid concept of nonviolence is derived from Hippocratic missionaries.

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    I have wondered about the same. i.e how to drive ahimsa principles if one only looks at Gita as the scripture for kali yuga.
    The following verses stresses about Non-violence(AHIMSA)

Gita 16:2 Ahimsaa satyam krodhastyaagah: shaantirpaishunam |Dayaa bhuteShvalolupatvam maardavam rhirchaapalam

Translation 16:1-3:

Fearlessness; purification of one’s existence; cultivation of spiritual knowledge; charity; self-control;
    performance of sacrifice; study of the Vedas; austerity; simplicity; nonviolence; truthfulness; freedom from anger; renunciation; tranquility; aversion to faultfinding; compassion for all living entities; freedom from covetousness; gentleness; modesty; steady determination; vigor; forgiveness; fortitude; cleanliness; and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor—these
    transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature

GITA: 10:5 Ahimsa samataa tushtistapo daanam yashoyashah:|
    GITA 13:7 amaanitvam-adambhitvam-ahimsaa kshaanti-aarjavamaacharya-upaasanaam-shoucham sthairyam aatma-vinigraham 1.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    I suspect that the jain influence mahatma gandhi had in his life has something more to do with ahimsa principles than gita.
    Actually GandhiJi had his own Brand of Ahimsa(Non Violence).

'Mahatma' Gandhi Ji had prescribed Ahimsa for Indians as a method to fight Against British while He had no problem in sending about 2 Million Indians to Fight in World war wherein about 40000 indian soldiers perished.

Gandhiji's concept of Non-Violence is unique .It has no parallels in history.

Quote Originally Posted by arvind View Post
    Dear idianx,

For undersatnding this you need to know the reasons behind the war. Krisha was never in favour of the war and He tried his best to persuade them. But every one has to get results of their actions and the Kauravs get the same. Even if Arjuna have decided not to fight they all would have killed by someone else. Thats wat the Krishna tells that , the Atman is nether killed nor kills , then why is he running away from his duties.

Non-violence of Gandhiji would not have worked with Kauravs. But Krishan even tried that. Gandhiji used the non-violence against British as they were a bit understanding people , but he would never have used this strategy against someone like Hitler. Duryodhan was like Hitler and he needed to be crushed else he would have destroyed everyone.
    It did not work with muslims. It did not work with Jinnah or Pakistan. Result was millions of Hindus massacred, crores uprooted.

It was not his ahimsa alone which compelled the British to leave. It was also due to Netaji who showed that Indian soldiers can no longer be expected to act as occupation army.
    Last edited by rcscwc; 16 October 2010 at 10:14 AM.

My take :

Please read the Mahabharat meticulously and find the contexts.

When all options through non-violence exhaust then comes the duty of upholding the dharma through a war.

Duty is not an emotional action so understand Krishna's words from that angle.

Bharat did the duty of representing Rama in Ayodha. He did his best to serve the throne which was for Rama. In that duty you have passion but not emotions or attachment.

Gandhi followed the path and got success before the violence part. If it was not so then there would be some one else to take it forward.

So it is not that Gandhi did not follow Gita. Even now as a country we follow to some extent. We exhaust all options and then only we take hard steps. Yes this is embedded in our nations pschye. We have paid for it also but again this is the permanent strata - PEACE. We need not disturb it at the slightest opportunity then we will remain restless.

Love and best wishes

Thread Information