Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best commentary on Yoga-sutra

The best commentary on Yoga-sutra

Namaste!

Could someone please tell me the name of author of best commentary on Yoga-sutra according to you?

Re: The best commentary on Yoga-sutra

Last edited by Amrut; 24 November 2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: added links
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

I've only read two translations; I recommend the second, entitled, "Four Chapters on Freedom" by Swami Satyananda Saraswati of the Bihar Yoga School. In general I highly recommend his books and the books of his teacher Sivananda.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Thank's for the link, I'm going to have to look into that myself.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

The commentary by vyasa is the foremost commentary on the yoga sutras. All other acharyas have based their understanding on vyasa's commentary.

Other acharyas who have commented on the sutras are Vacaspati Mishra, Bhoja Raja, Vijnabhikshu and Swami Hariharananda Aranya, of course there are many more, but these are the main ones.

There is one book in English that is based on the above Sanskrit commentaries written by a professor of Hinduism, Edwin Bryant who is actually sympathetic towards Hinduism and also a devotee of Krishna. He elucidates the view of the above acharyas and also quotes extensively from the Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and puranas to show how the ideas in the yoga sutras are part of the larger context of Hinduism and not just ideas from some isolated sect like most other western academics try to do.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 24 November 2012 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    The most important commentary is that of Vyasa, without vyasa's commentary a lot of the sutras are unintelligible.
    If that commentary was really written by Srila Vyasadeva(the same author of Srimad Bhagavata Purana) then I want really to read it!

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    If that commentary was really written by Srila Vyasadeva(the same author of Srimad Bhagavata Purana) then I want really to read it!
    I can't say for sure, most think it was a different vyasa, but you never know. Regardless of which vyasa wrote it, it is considered the standard commentary and some say that it is hard to distinguish where the sutras of Patanjali stop and the commentary of Vyasa begins.

On a side note, Patanjali is also the author of the famous commentary on Panini's grammar (the Mahabhashya) and he also authored the Charaka Samhita, an ayurvedic text which was later rewritten by Buddhists scholars. Patanjali is considered an incarnation of Adi Shesha and appeared around the same time when Vishnu incarnated as Buddha.

My point as gaudiya-vaishnava is that if he is the same Vyasa who wrote Vedanta-Sutra and Bhagavata Purana,then for me that commentary would the only one who really explains the meaning of the sutras.

I hope you understand my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    My point as gaudiya-vaishnava is that if he is the same Vyasa who wrote Vedanta-Sutra and Bhagavata Purana,then for me that commentary would the only one who really explains the meaning of the sutras.

I hope you understand my point of view.
    I understand your POV, but most likely it is not the same vyasa and regardless of sampradaya, every acharya has based their own commentary on this Vyasa's work. The yoga sutras are not accepted in Vedanta traditions, including Gaudiya Vaishnavism. Advaita vedantins have studied it extensively, but with some provisions. The only Vedantin who accepted the yoga sutras was Vijnana Bhikshu, a very broad minded Hindu who tried to show the synthesis of various philosophical schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    The yoga sutras are not accepted in Vedanta traditions, including Gaudiya Vaishnavism.
    Actually Swami Prabhupada(who is a gaudiya-vaishnava guru) says that Astanta-yoga's Patanjali is an authentic method of spiritual realization but it is not suitable in Kali-yuga,when the most effective mean is the chanting of Hare Krishna maha-mantra,

Thread Information