Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The best commentary on Yoga-sutra

Re: The best commentary on Yoga-sutra

Well-written review. Makes me want to get a copy for my own reference. I am curious about one thing though - the reviewer notes that Bryant does not attempt to superimpose any other theology onto Patanjali, and yet notes that Bryant mentions Prabhupada and the Maha-mantras twice... am I missing something here?
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    am I missing something here?
    ...the book?
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Namaste grames!

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post
    When we are not clear, we introduce new theories and so many different understandings with out any justification. This is the very reason, you have to resort to a Guru!
    I am already looking for a gaudiya-vaishnava guru

One good thing noticed in your post is, everyone is different and everyone has their own way of getting their goal! This is the very important point and if you start to mediate to figure out your :Own: destiny and path to it, then you will be successful.
    I already know which is my path: bhakti-yoga as teached in Gaudiya-vaishnvaism

Means to attain is somehow called a "path", (Prapti) and unlike the infamous saying, All roads leads to Rome, SD's paths have their own destinations! Not all lead to the same goal! The crux here is, not all consider and want to reach the same goal. A Gnani's goal is different from a Karmi;s goal or Bhakta's.
    My goal in present life is Krishna-prema(love for Krishna).
    My goal about afterlife is to reach the spiritual world and live eternally with Krishna and His direct associates.

However practing yama,niyama,asana and pranayama(the first four limbs of Raja-yoga) is not ante-thetical or compatible with my path.
    On contrary it will help me to have a more controlled mind.

Regards,
    Orlando.

Namaste all.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Well-written review. Makes me want to get a copy for my own reference. I am curious about one thing though - the reviewer notes that Bryant does not attempt to superimpose any other theology onto Patanjali, and yet notes that Bryant mentions Prabhupada and the Maha-mantras twice... am I missing something here?
    Yes,you are missing the fact the he mentions(more than one time) also the mantra Om Namo Narayana and the mantra Om Namah Sivaya(which is not a vaishnava mantra but a shaivite one ).

In conclusion,Bryant is not dogmatic toward Vaishnavism in his commentary to Yoga-sutra

Pranama,
    Orlando.

Dear Mr. Orlando,

The best commentaries on Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras are, in my opinion:

(1) ‘Patanjali’s Yoga Aphorisms’ by Swami Vivekananda, as part of ‘The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda’, Volume 1, and is downloadable from the site: http://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.in...troduction.htm. The commentary is not only authoritative but is lucid and in the Swami’s fluent yet simple English.

(2) ‘Yoga Sutras’ (Index of Articles) by Swami Jnanesvar Bharati, who hails from the hallowed traditions of the Himalayan Masters and a direct disciple of Swami Rama, the great Himalayan Master. The interpretation of the Yoga Sutras is exhaustive and the translation from Sanskrit to English is faithful. These articles are downloadable from the site: http://www.swamij.com/index-yoga-med...oga-sutras.htm

(3) A dissertation of the Patanjali Yoga Sutras by Edwin Bryant, Rutgers University, USA, as part of a thesis on Yoga and Sankhya philosophy. In his study, Bryant seems to have been completely unbiased and dispassionate. The dissertation is superb.

Thread Information