Thread: The pasu and the sadhu

The pasu and the sadhu

Namaskar,
    I am starting to think that there exist within man two natures, the animal and the sadhu. Both fight to overcome the other. It is a constant struggle between them.

Ever since I started believing this concept I catch myself watching both the animal and the sadhu doing their thing. It is quite interesting to watch. I also noticed that once you become aware of both it is much easier to control them both.

Just thinking out loud.
    satay

Re: The pasu and the sadhu

Vannakkam Satay

I am starting to think that there exist within man two natures, the animal and the sadhu.
    Definitely. These two exists in every human being. It depends on how they control both the natures and try to subdue the animalistic desires. Some succeed in portraying a more sadhu-type of behaviour. Others struggle to find a balance between the two. The common man, and that would mean most people, wouldn't bother because they have never realised that these two exist within themselves.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Also, the pasu nature seems to be more in control all the time. Even if sadhu seems to be in control sometimes, one only need to scratch the surface a bit and the pasu will come out.

Any benefits you see of the pasu nature?
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Any benefits you see of the pasu nature?
    Yes, it can help one achieve the ultimate goal and liberation.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    I am starting to think that there exist within man two natures, the animal and the sadhu. Both fight to overcome the other. It is a constant struggle between them.

Ever since I started believing this concept I catch myself watching both the animal and the sadhu doing their thing. It is quite interesting to watch. I also noticed that once you become aware of both it is much easier to control them both.
    Yes. You may call it a war between Pashu and Sadhu or a war between the Pandavas and the Kauravas. The Pashu is due to our worldly desires which become more powerful when we are attached to the body-mind. When you attach yourself to God ... this Pashu would become weaker as it loses its strength when we go beyond this body-mind towards God. So, we must start seeing ourselves and others around us as the Spirit and not body-mind entities.

It is a good sign that you have started "seeing" both of them competing against each other. That shows your spiritual progress.

OM
    Last edited by devotee; 25 November 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Added missing word, "seeing" in last sentence
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Hari Om!

SatayJi,

Great post and agree completely.

I do believe however that desire can be overcome and liberation can be achieved - the true goal of a sadhu. Am I off the point?

Jai Jai Gurudev!

Namaste,

I look at the picture of Durga ma and see her sitting calmly on top of the fiercest Pasus of all, a lion or a tiger.

I look at the picture of pasupati Nath himself the great lord shiva and he is sitting their calmly with fierce cobras around his neck.

I look at Kali ma and she is standing on the chest of pasupati Nath, lord of the pasus himself!

Ha!
    satay

according to various sahastranama s
    one of the name of god is pashu=pashyet iti pashu=one who see all is pashu.
    thus animals where named so
    one other name is pakshi=because God takes the paksh(side) of his bhakts,thus pakshi is also a name
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Vannakkam: I wouldn't refer to it as a war, but yes there is conflict. In my terms, it would be called the superconscious (intuitive) mind versus the instinctive (animal) mind. Fast or feast? Restraint, or just go for it? So the nature of the soul is much different than the nature of the animal within. We, the observer, the individual awareness., observe both, laugh at the folly of the one, and remain in awe of the other.

The instinctive mind is tricky. Just when you think its under control, it comes at you again. Think of hunger as an analogy. there it is, we 'gobble gobble gobble' and it goes away, only to reappear again in about 6 hours.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information