Thread: A question for the females

Red Face A question for the females

Namaste everyone,

This is a sensitive question and it's a little embarrassing to bring up, but I feel it's too important not to ask. Is it ok to do puja while menstruating? Some sites say that you shouldn't because of being unclean due to the body shedding unneeded waste, but others say that you should because it's better to worship a little dirty than not at all. I've just recently started doing my own version of a puja, it's not traditional, but the best I can do, and I don't know what I should do about this situation when it happens.
    Thanks for your help.

Leena

Re: A question for the females

Namasté,

Leena, please don't be embarrassed; there's nothing wrong with your question. In fact, several (male and female) members have discussed the topic on the forum before. You may find the conversation here.

Speaking for myself, I agree with EasternMind's perspective in that thread which I linked above. I am alone, so I cannot sequester myself for days or avoid my job, but I refrain from wearing rudrākṣa, and do not perform worship or touch any of my pūjā implements. I still pray and do japa, and otherwise, just view the time as a much-needed rest, as monthly cycles can be hard on the body and the emotions.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Namaste,
    Thanks, Indraneela. You're right, I shouldn't be embarrassed lol. Thanks for the link, I'll look into it when I have more time.

Leena

Namaste,

A natural part of a woman's cycle, and if you wish to practise your religious worship and develop your spirituality consistently, it's actually a very important question considering this question is relevant for nearly half of us on this planet. The link provided is a good suggested read. A long time ago I used to think there was a misogynistic reasoning behind a woman's not being allowed to perform worship or enter into a temple or holy grounds, but it isn't simply about being "unclean". As Indraneela says, the hormone changes during your monthly cycle can really almost make you feel vulnerable, like a totally different person in terms of mood swings. Perhaps it's for this reason, that just prayer, meditation and rest are recommended.

Shanti

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste Suny,

Thanks for your thought. I hadn't thought of mood swings as a reason not going into the puja room, but it does make sense.

There many good points in the thread. Thanks again Indraneela lol.

Leena

Namaste,

As per tradition and rituals, you are not supposed to do puja.

As far as meditation is concerned, even when you have decentry and loose motions or high fever, you should not meditate, as one should let go the vikar or the waste is being removed through natural means. If you meditate then thee metabolism may alter and may slow down (if you meditate well) and the thing that should leave body in a particular time remains within the body which is harmful.

you can read books and listen to devotional songs.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Bharti Tailor of the Hindu forum for Britain, was asked this on BBC nihal show, she bascially said there are more converstaive and less consevative interpretations of scriptures.
    End of the day due to gender equality in scriptures, it is your personal choice, and if a tempke behave conservatally then better to go to another that does not, and maybe local hindu population can organise demos against the conservatives.
    Jai Mata ji, it does not say Jai Pappa ji

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by dogra View Post
    Bharti Tailor of the Hindu forum for Britain........basically said......local hindu population can organise demos against the conservatives.
    Bharti is asking Hindus to organize demonstrations against other Hindus who follow traditions and scriptural injunctions and are labeled as the 'conservatives'? A quotation without personal comments amounts to total agreement with her views. Is that the path we should be taking? Should we all go berserk and break every tradition, every scriptural injunction, and have a 'free for all' religion and still call it Hinduism? And organize demonstrations against those who want to follow tradition? If not, then to quote a 'I think....', 'I believe.....', 'In my opinion....', type of person with her outrageous suggestion for organizing demonstrations against other Hindus is merely giving more visibility to an attention hungry person. There is definitely room for rational thinking and quietly not doing what one does not like, but organize demonstrations?

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 15 March 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Bharti is asking Hindus to organize demonstrations against other Hindus who follow traditions and scriptural injunctions and are labeled as the 'conservatives'?
    Yup, that's exactly what she is asking. And that's the legacy that modern Hindu reformers have left us. On one hand, they profess great pride in their culture and take offense if anyone fails to show the proper respect. On the other hand, they want all Hindus to conform to their Westernized, watered-down principles and pass this off as the "real Hinduism."
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Remember boys and girls, it's very important to show respect for all cultures and beliefs. Except for that Hindu culture with its castes and cleanliness rules and gender differences and all other undesirable things.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information