Thread: Sri Lakshmi Temple, MA

Sri Lakshmi Temple, MA

Namaste All!

I'm back from a two week visit with family on the East Coast and I was extremely fortunate to have the chance to visit with Devi at the Sri Lakshmi Temple in Ashland, MA.

My visit was extremely brief, due to time constraints, but I am so happy I went. The Temple rests hidden in a small town back amongst the trees. I can only imagine how stunning it looks when the leaves change in the fall.

Portions of the temple seemed to be under construction when I went, but the darshan experience wasn't diminished at all. This is only the third temple I have visited, but I can say I really loved this one.

I was there in the afternoon on a weekend, and while there was a decent crowd, I wouldn't say it was overly busy. I want to visit many different temples so I can gradually get over my feelings of self consciousness. I have a hard time focusing on God because I feel as though there are eyes one me from the other devotees who notice the only Caucasian westerner in the place. This visit helped with that. I was able to set my eyes on Devi and forget the people around me - unless I made eye contact, in which case I smiled.

The murtis were stunning -especially the three prominent ones. Lakshmi in the center, at one end of the hall and Ganesha(her right) and Balaji(her left) on either side of her. They were black granite, from what could tell. Other deities were arranged along the side walls.

One interesting aspect of the temple is the murti of Garuda which sits central in the hall, facing Lakshmi. I am not very familiar with the worship of Garuda, although I know his function as the vimana for Vishnu and Devi.

I said a prayer to Devi thanking her for bringing me there safely, as well as promising to return someday - I took tilak, water, and then did pradakshina around Lakshmi. I then quietly made my way around the temple to each deity to whisper a quick thanks.

Definitely go visit if you can!

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Sri Lakshmi Temple, MA

Namaste,

Thanks for sharing the experience. Any temple nestled among the trees in a small town has to exude strong vibrations. You are so fortunate to have found and visited this gem.

Pranam.

Re: Sri Lakshmi Temple, MA

Vannakkam Jodhaa

I said a prayer to Devi thanking her for bringing me there safely, as well as promising to return someday - I took tilak, water, and then did pradakshina around Lakshmi. I then quietly made my way around the temple to each deity to whisper a quick thanks.
    I'm glad for you. What a wonderful experience it must have been. Hope there'll be more visits!

Thread Information