Thread: have you ever wondered why and how you discovered your path (e.g. Advaita)??

Red Face have you ever wondered why and how you discovered your path (e.g. Advaita)??

Hi all,

In your current lifetime, have you ever wondered about all the circumstances that were responsible for you to discover your current path to Realization for example Advaita??

Sometimes I wonder, if things went differently for me, I would have never had the opportunity to study this philosophy.

For me it started with a lot of traumatic experiences in my childhood, I began being really interested in spirituality in 1998, 2000 a very important person I know died and I wanted to know what now happens to her, and what will happen to me, will I ever see her again etc. I used to be a Christian back then but I didn't really find satisfactory answers at that time. In 2007 then I started practicing Yoga a bit because of my back and I got so intrigued by a Shiva statue I saw, that inspired my to follow Hinduism from now on.

Sometimes I wonder what will happen to me in the next life, what if I have to start from beginning again and all the knowledge gets lost, I think I'm very privileged to be living in this time now where I can obtain information about Advaita also easily over the Internet. I would be disappointed if next lifetime all the progress I have in this life would get lost if you know what I mean??

Anyways I would love to hear your story how you discovered Advaita and maybe do you share the same fears as I do or are my fears unjustified?

Regards =)

Re: have you ever wondered why and how you discovered your path (e.g. Advaita)??

Good q. For me, advaita makes sense since it doesnt involve a god outside yourself. Such a god, theistic god, makes little sense. Imagine a god creating a world (immediately, the q arises as to what he was doing before creation, and why), making things evolve slowly and painfully (from amoeba to man, with endless struggle and brutality of nature), apparently unconcerned about lack of equality and justice in his own creation.

All this makes the dualistic god look rather illogical and heartless. But with monism and the concept of maya, things get simpler. No god outside of ourselves is making us go through all this - it is our own ignorance that makes us 'wander' from birth to birth. It helps us accept responsibility and work toward liberation.

Re: have you ever wondered why and how you discovered your path (e.g. Advaita)??

I discovered Advaita Vedanta a few years ago after reading an article that compared Krishnamurti's teachings with those of Advaita. Being a Krishnamurti fan since my mid-20s, I quickly researched Advaita, and felt very drawn to it, both on an emotional and intellectual level.

That's the how for me. The why ... ? Well, ever since I can remember I've had a passion for getting to the essence of things. And the Vedanta seems to get to the essence of reality itself. So I think it was pretty much inevitable that I'd eventually find Vedanta or something like it (if there is anything like it).

Namaste.

This is a question/topic that I sometimes think about, but there are many predispositional factors for it.

I was also an abused child, due to the fact I had undiagnosed Asperger's Disorder and ADHD at the time...people said I was just 'anti-social' and 'naughty'.

I just buried myself in biological science, old English poetry books and archaeology documentaries.

At 11, I read The Double Helix by Watson and Crick, then became intrigued by Mitochondrial oxidation rates during RNA synthesis. Then I got into organic chemistry at 15, studying polysaccharide chains whilst reading 'Chariots of the Gods' by Erich Von Daniken and trying to decipher the Harappan Tablets (after learning Cuneiform) *was glad to see this finally done last year...I only got half way there.

Well, I very quickly learned to say 'yeah, well that's all well and good, but what else?' My mind was/is like a sponge and I have a photographic memory. I also had a few major psychic experiences in Asia.

Advaita Vedanta came naturally to me and so did my total adoration and dedication to Lord Shiva. It was 'touch and go' for a while there, where I thought I lost it all, but I had to lose myself to find myself again.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thanks for being open and sharing your stories

Thread Information