Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When it comes to Buddhism..

When it comes to Buddhism..

What is wrong with Buddhism? I have read a few opinions on here that one cannot mix being Buddhist with being Hindu or any other religion. Why is this so if Buddhism is non-theistic, and is just a practical approach on non-attachment and ending suffering?

What do Hindu's here believe the benefits and non-benefits of practicing Buddhism to be?

Re: When it comes to Buddhism..

There really is no problem with Buddhism. It is Dharmic, just like Jainism and Sikhism. The common elements running across all Dharmic religions are Karma/reincarnation. Now, Buddhism is classified as a Nastika religion - i.e. Buddhists did not accept the validity of the Vedas (along with Jainas and Charvakas).

Metaphysically, Buddhism is at odds with all 6 orthodox schools of Astika (those schools that accept the validity of the Vedas) Darshanas. These differences are quite sharp and irreconcilable. But that said, in some respects, the differences between the Astika Darshanas themselves are sharp at times and also irreconcilable.

In my view, it is a good idea not to mix ANY two religions. It may work for someone who is not conversant with either religion fully.

Many of the posters here probably treat Buddhism with much more respect than other religions because Buddhists dont seem to be on a mission to convert the infidel idol-worshipping heathen polytheistic Hindu Kufr into Buddhism by destroying our temples and invading our lands. It also helps that there is no Buddhist God that is going to burn us in eternal hellfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Seeker View Post
    What is wrong with Buddhism? I have read a few opinions on here that one cannot mix being Buddhist with being Hindu or any other religion. Why is this so if Buddhism is non-theistic, and is just a practical approach on non-attachment and ending suffering?

What do Hindu's here believe the benefits and non-benefits of practicing Buddhism to be?
    Buddhist approach is quite different from modern hindu approach which is strongly grounded in theism. So it is not easy or even possible to be buddhist and hindu at the same time without seriously compromising elements from both religions in order to achieve a meaningful syncretism. Some of the classical hindu thoughts may be quite close to buddhism barring the belief in vedas as proof e.g Samkhya.

As for the use, personally I find Buddhism to be most useful and beneficial views that exists on this planet.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Though I am an advaitin, I am inclined to agree with twilight. Buddhism seems more practical than other religions, including Hinduism sadly, since the latter has been hijacked by ritualistic traditions. Not many hindus are interested in upanishadic thought and are simply content to pray, do rituals etc. Buddhism, in sharp contrast, insists on practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nondual View Post
    Though I am an advaitin, I am inclined to agree with twilight. Buddhism seems more practical than other religions, including Hinduism sadly, since the latter has been hijacked by ritualistic traditions. Not many hindus are interested in upanishadic thought and are simply content to pray, do rituals etc. Buddhism, in sharp contrast, insists on practice.
    Buddhism also comes in many flavors from strict meditative Theravada schools to highly ritualistic Vajrayana. I am actually quite fond for rituals, though it may not appeal to all people. The contrast with Buddhism is that Buddhism focus on means while Hinduism is hung on "ultimate" views. So even in Advaita all we find is lot of subjective characterization of the ultimate reality according to a particular view. If want to clutch on to views, then they should be atleast the ones which are actually useful in cutting through the delusions of ordinary consciousness - if there is such a thing. The Buddhist views on non-self, emptiness etc when properly understood serves as strong medicine to cure mental affliction of self grasping. Any Hindu view is likely to increase your grasping as they are only giving subjective opinions and mental fodder for imagination of what ultimate reality might be. Only way Hinduism can be effective is if the theism actually works and there is some form of grace lifting one up to the direct experience. So Yoga might be the useful part of Hinduism, not vedanta.

I do not imply however that Buddhists necessarily apply Buddhism skillfully, and there is plenty of fundamentalism in Buddhism and clinging on to views.

These are only my opinions so not up for debate.
    Last edited by Twilightdance; 03 December 2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    These are only my opinions so not up for debate.
    Good! Otherwise...

Contemplation in advaita is different ... It is for keeping the mind pure and on the ultimate reality at all times. That's the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Good! Otherwise...

... there will be Justice! {nyaya}

About Veda, in Vajrayana Buddhism, one name of Bodhisattva Tara is Veda-mata ( Mother of Veda )

Buddhist also chant AUM / OM , and even the name of Mahesvara, Sarasvati, Narayana and other Hindu deities name, is considered as holy names in Buddhism, then please find in Hindu scripture that said what is benefit of chanting AUM / OM and these another deities names ? you will find the realtion with THE WHOLE VEDA !

Then which religion in now day is not get influence from another custom, culture, or religion ?

Off course for serious practice, one need ONE ROOT GURU and doing practice by the Guru.

Then Vajrayana Buddhism have one kind of classification of Buddha Dharma , the way from Buddha to guide sentient beings, there is including other religion who is considered :

Human vehicle
    Gods / Svarga vehicle
    Sravaka vehicle
    Pratyeka vehicle
    Bodhisattva vehicle
    Buddha vehicle

Well, what is actually Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism ?
    What is Mahayana, Theravada and Vajrayana
    what is Shaiva, Vaishanva, Shakta ?
    they are right or wrong according your own mind
    they are debating anythings from ancient until now

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Seeker View Post

Most of what is there in Buddhism comes from Hinduism. The Buddha had two Hindu teachers Alara Kalama and Uddaka Ramaputta who taught him essentially the same teachings from the Upanishads, The Bhagavad Gita and the Moksha Dharma parva and yoga. Buddhism has retained a lot of these Hindu teachings, but it has also moved away from it. The further Buddhism has developed the more it moved away from Hinduism. The anatmavada of the early teachings of the Buddha was a lot less pronounced and less clearly opposed to the Hindu view than it became in the later sectarian Buddhist traditions and philosophical schools. Buddhism has undergone a lot of changes in the hands of the Theravada and Mahayana sects.

Buddhism has become popular mostly outside India. Alan Watts says that Buddhism is Hinduism stripped for export. There is some truth to this. Everything practised in Buddhism, is also practised in Hinduism, but not everything practised in Hinduism is practised in Buddhism. The main difference is philosophical, but it this may be an attempt of the Buddhists schools to differentiate themselves from Hinduism and maintain a separate identity. A lot of the later philosophical concepts of Buddhism are clearly contrived for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nondual View Post
    Rituals are also present in Buddhism, even in Theravada traditions. Rituals is the first thing most people notice, because it is very strange for western culture to ritualise everything.

The rituals from the Vedas are extremely powerful and they should not fall in the wrong hands, that's why Vishnu incarnated as the Buddha to prevent asuras from using Vedic rituals and delude them into practising basic moral principles like satya and ahimsa.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 04 December 2012 at 02:44 PM.

Thread Information