Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: When it comes to Buddhism..

Re: When it comes to Buddhism..

About ritual.

Acctually ritual and practice is not separated. Maybe outer you see a ritual, maybe ritual in Hindu or ritual in Buddhist, but if the people do it totaly with devotion, that is practice to develop the self. ( In simple explanation ). So people wo do the ritual in "RIGHT" way tottaly with inner heart, in his / her daily life they will always improve the quality of life and quality of mind. But if people do many ritual without any improve in mind and life, they not do it with heart. ( In simple explanation )

About Buddhism against Veda.
    My question is, is Hindu person able to practice the whole Veda in his life ?
    Is people who devotee of Ganesh, Shiva, Sarasvati, Narayana , Hari etc and chant the holy name ( include one name of Vishnu or shiva or etc Sahasranama ) everyday is called against Veda ? What they practice Namasmarana is not contain The whole Veda ? Buddhist also do this practice Veda in simple way for this kaliyuga. So, Who said Buddhist against Veda is slander against their own scripture.

Dont be pity and narrow minded, how wide God's wisdom and skilfull means to save and guide every different sentient beings

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Most of what is there in Buddhism comes from Hinduism.
    The Buddha lived appx. 500 bce at that time what is called "Hinduism" , which is a sectarian religion based on the Puranas and Agamas that appeared much later in the history of Indian religion, the earliest Puranas and Agamas are dated from around 600 ce most of them stem from a much later the medieval period, did not exist To assume that Buddha had Hindu teachers at a time when there was not a trace of Hinduism is ridicolous.

Besides the tribal cultures at that time only the vedic religion or brahmanism and the shramanic tradition existed. Buddha never had brahmanic teachers, he was from a kshatriya family and a shramana.

Buddha is not the founder of a new religion, he is part of the pre vedic shramanic tradition,similar to the Jain religion and of course he therefore had shramanic Gurus.
    Medieval puranic and agamic Hinduism is based on and influenced by both traditions and owes as much to the shramanic ascetic and yogic tradition than to the brahmanic vedic tradition, since the alliance payed to the shruti that is Vedas and Upanishads, in popular Hinduism is often not much more than lip service while most of the content of Puranas, Tantras and Agamas (which form the foundation of popular Hinduism) include the practice of Tapas, Yoga and Meditation, worship with upacharas and the philosophy of samsara rebirth and moksha which are all elements that are borrowed from pre vedic shramanic sources and unknown in the vedic religion.

The brahmanas were the orthodoxy, who stayed with the old Brahmanic rituals. They followed the Upanishads as their philosophical basis, but within the context of first leading a life of duty within society and only becoming celibate renunciates after retiring. They were exclusively from the brahmin caste and pursued their path to liberation as solitary ascetics living in the forests.
    The shramanas were wandering mendicant spiritual seekers. They came from castes other than the brahmins and sought liberation by leaving society from the start. They lived together in the forests, with no caste differences, as a spiritual community (Skt. sangha), rather than as solitary ascetics. They organized their autonomous communities on the model of the republics, with decisions made by assemblies. Moreover, all of them rejected a supreme god, such as Brahma, or any other form of a creator. Although the shramana communities had no caste differences within them, the laypeople who followed their teachings to a lesser extent and supported them still lived with the structure of the caste system.
    The Five Main Shramana Schools
    When Shakyamuni Buddha renounced his princely life, he joined the shramanas. Accordingly, after his enlightenment, he organized the spiritual seekers who followed him into autonomous communities along the same lines as other shramana groups. Thus, Buddhism became the fifth of the five shramana schools of the time.

Indian Society and Thought
    before and at the Time of Buddha
    Alexander Berzin

These 5 schools are:
    The Ajivika School
    The Lokayata or Charvaka School
    The Jain or Nirgrantha School
    The Ajnana School of Agnostics
    Buddhism

Buddhism developed as a shramana school that accepted rebirth under the force of karma, while rejecting the existence of the type of soul that other schools asserted. In addition, Buddha accepted as parts of the path to liberation the use of logic and reasoning, as well as ethical behavior, but not to the degree of Jain asceticism. In this way, Buddhism avoided the extremes of the previous four shramana schools.

Indian Society and Thought
    before and at the Time of Buddha
    Alexander Berzin
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 04 December 2012 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    The Buddha lived appx. 500 bce at that time what is called "Hinduism" , which is a sectarian religion based on the Puranas and Agamas that appeared much later in the history of Indian religion, the earliest Puranas and Agamas are dated from around 600 ce most of them stem from a much later the medieval period, did not exist To assume that Buddha had Hindu teachers at a time when there was not a trace of Hinduism is ridicolous.

Besides the tribal cultures at that time only the vedic religion or brahmanism and the shramanic tradition existed. Buddha never had brahmanic teachers, he was from a kshatriya family and a shramana.
    You are merely repeating nonsense from western indologists, but the worst part is that by ridiculing everyone who disagrees with your viewpoint, you pretend that this speculation about the origins of Indian religions is an exact science . Not even all indologists are in agreement with each other. There are some who think the Buddha was taught by "Brahmanic" teachers:

Alara Kalama and Uddaka Ramaputta were religious teachers in northern India in the fifth century BC. They taught the meditative practices of early Brahminism, the goal of which was thought to be a nondual state of meditation identical to the unmanifest state of brahman. In early Brahminical yoga, liberation was thought to be anticipated in a meditative trance that has passed beyond the possibility of cognition, a state in which the subject/ object division has been dissolved. This means, of course, that true liberation is only realized after death, when there is no longer any possibility of cognizing an object. The adept, through his meditative trance, was thought to anticipate in life what he will realize at death—the nondual source of creation. and Uddaka Ramaputta termed this nondual goal ‘nothingness’ (Akiñcañña) and ‘neither perception nor nonperception’ (nevasaññanasañña) respectively, terminology that ought to be understood according to the early speculative tradition rooted in the NAsadIyasUkta ( X 129). The early verse and show that the practice of yoga flourished in this speculative tradition in the last few centuries BC. and Uddaka RAmaputta were figures in their tradition at an earlier date, their teachings representing an earlier phase of yogic practice and thought. The Bodhisatta was taught by them, but rejected their goals, which he did not think were liberating. He set out to strive for liberation alone and claimed to have awakened to a different truth. ~ Alexander Wynn
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 04 December 2012 at 08:27 PM.

LOL

Here he is again with his nonsense.

Buddha never had brahmanic teachers, he was from a kshatriya family and a shramana.
    To state that Shramanas had no caste differences and lived in forests, and then realising that Siddhartha Gautama aka Buddha was a Kshatriya and lived in a palace is ABSOLUTELY contradicting and ironic.

I predict that Maha's next post on this thread will involve bashing of his critics for undue reliance on biased, sectarian Vedanta commentators and inadequate attention to more objective sources, like the Non-Hindu academics who propose new theories for academic grant money.

Of course, he may have a point. I mean, I don't think Sahasranama consulted Google pramana before disagreeing....
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    The contrast with Buddhism is that Buddhism focus on means while Hinduism is hung on "ultimate" views. So even in Advaita all we find is lot of subjective characterization of the ultimate reality according to a particular view. If want to clutch on to views, then they should be atleast the ones which are actually useful in cutting through the delusions of ordinary consciousness - if there is such a thing. The Buddhist views on non-self, emptiness etc when properly understood serves as strong medicine to cure mental affliction of self grasping. Any Hindu view is likely to increase your grasping as they are only giving subjective opinions and mental fodder for imagination of what ultimate reality might be. Only way Hinduism can be effective is if the theism actually works and there is some form of grace lifting one up to the direct experience. So Yoga might be the useful part of Hinduism, not vedanta.
    Sorry, SM, but you don't really know what VedAnta has to offer and I doubt you have a deep idea of Buddhism too. I am making this inference ONLY from your this post. VedAnta has everything to offer that Buddhism has but Buddhism lacks in something very badly what VedAnta offers. Buddhism is silent on many things as Buddha refused to answer many questions. Buddhism's understanding on non-self and emptiness is far from convincing that we have seen on this board itself.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Dear devotee:

Did you not notice sm78 lay out this caveat:?

Quote Originally Posted by sm78
    These are only my opinions so not up for debate.
    Opinions are a dime a dozen...so, no need to get overly perturbed, I guess.

After all, us current day Indians know more about the Darshanas and the differences between than the very acharyas who laid them out!

Where is the OP, Mr./Ms. Spirit Seeker?

Come in OP, OP come in. Troll status suspected. To clear suspicion, check in every once in a while. This is YOUR thread.

Over and Out!

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Where is the OP, Mr./Ms. Spirit Seeker?

Come in OP, OP come in. Troll status suspected. To clear suspicion, check in every once in a while. This is YOUR thread.

Over and Out!
    Oh I'm still checking up on my thread, I normally dont have much to add once I get a satisfying answer to my question lol.. I'm still learning a lot. How does this make me a troll?! ~__~

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Sorry, SM, but you don't really know what VedAnta has to offer and I doubt you have a deep idea of Buddhism too. I am making this inference ONLY from your this post. VedAnta has everything to offer that Buddhism has but Buddhism lacks in something very badly what VedAnta offers. Buddhism is silent on many things as Buddha refused to answer many questions. Buddhism's understanding on non-self and emptiness is far from convincing that we have seen on this board itself.
    OM
    If one understood Buddhism, one would find the silence of Buddha on topics which Vedanta goes ga-ga over to be one of the subtle and profound parts of Buddhist teachings.

I am only a student of Buddhism, but not just from books, btw. But I hope these things are besides the point.
    Last edited by Twilightdance; 05 December 2012 at 12:20 AM.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Thread Information