Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: McDonalds in India

McDonalds in India

Sure, they don't serve beef, but don't you feel that eating there supports a company that some might say is responsible for the epic worldwide destruction of cattle?

Re: McDonalds in India

decisions in Indian politics are taken under garb of pseudo secularism i.e anti Hinduism.so anything that is against hindu sensibilities is considered kosher and implemented at the earliest.

just today the opposition lost vote on FDI in multi brand retail, in short lost against wallmart. when the whole world is against foreign investment in retail sector, when even American president Ombaba goes and buys books at a store to promote and support small mom and pop stores, Indian political party in power bends backwards to make way for wallmart.

Macdonalds is just beef under the bun.

Vannakkam

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    decisions in Indian politics are taken under garb of pseudo secularism i.e anti Hinduism.so anything that is against hindu sensibilities is considered kosher and implemented at the earliest.

Macdonalds is just beef under the bun.
    That's very sad. It has always been hard for me to grasp the reason as to why majority Hindus in India can't unite and ban such things in their own country. I know the politicians are the cause but why are they like that? Just to get votes from non-Hindus?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namasté,

Sure, they don't serve beef--
    Don't be too sure about that. I was one of many vegetarians eating what I thought were meat-free fries in the past.

I haven't bought anything from them since that discovery; I don't request full ingredient lists every time I eat out, but I sure don't trust food from a place that just lies about what's in it. What's next - chicken broth in the coffee? Ugh.
    Last edited by Arjuni; 05 December 2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Found better link.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Namaskara. I'm sorry, but why would anyone want to believe anything a MEGA corporation says? Vegetarians/vegans should treat McDs like offal and find better alternatives.
    IMO, the best alternative would be cooking in YOUR home. Cooking is so very important and yet neglected these days of 'takeout' and 'fast food'.
    Since fries, burgers are all fried foods, one can seek healthier, though less tastier alternative of baking. If not, fry them in your kitchen and use vegetable based oils. How difficult is that? Nowadays, iN India, cooking is considered so uncool and 18th century. And asking a girl if she can cook would trigger rants of sexism.
    In the place i live in, there can't be any more irony than having a McD on the 1st floor and a gym named 'Healthy living' in the basement. Unfortunately, the irony is lost on the many duffers who visit this.
    The worst thing would be to have a crapacola with this offal which those who visit McD do. Crapacola is better suited for cleaning toilets. Ironical situation in the land of lassi, mango panna, buttermilk etc.

Namaste,

Businesses just fill the need. If McD is successful in India, it is because a sizable population there wants it and patronizes it. Why don't we blame ourselves for its existence in Bharat? Why is the vitriolic against the Mega corporations and crapacola? Hindus need to discipline themselves instead of blaming external sources for every little thing. For material cravings it is the West; for cultural problems it is the past programming by Islamists and Christians; for food it is the McD. Come on guys and gals, take some responsibility. Grow a spine and start taking the blame, or quit complaining. No point in looking for external villains for each shortcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    It has always been hard for me to grasp the reason as to why majority Hindus in India can't unite and ban such things in their own country.
    How many times have you seen all of us having the same opinion on any given issue and be united in this forum? Why would India be any different?

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Businesses just fill the need. If McD is successful in India, it is because a sizable population there wants it and patronizes it. Why don't we blame ourselves for its existence in Bharat? Why is the vitriolic against the Mega corporations and crapacola? Hindus need to discipline themselves instead of blaming external sources for every little thing. For material cravings it is the West; for cultural problems it is the past programming by Islamists and Christians; for food it is the McD. Come on guys and gals, take some responsibility. Grow a spine and start taking the blame, or quit complaining. No point in looking for external villains for each shortcoming.

How many times have you seen all of us having the same opinion on any given issue and be united in this forum? Why would India be any different?

Pranam.
    Will you believe, i did take up cudgels against few 'uns? Those in family circle. They just couldn't believe that a person in the modern era, could have '18th century' opinions. Wished them good luck and left. If they want to have coronary bypass of their volition, who am i to prevent them from doing so? They're adults and don't choose to use their grey matter they've been blessed with.

Last time i checked we didn't have a crying need for walmart. Yet they're making a foray.

The presence of an organization doesn't automatically mean there's a demand for it. Atleast to begin with. However, soon they'll start influencing shopping patterns.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by ShriBala View Post
    The presence of an organization doesn't automatically mean there's a demand for it. Atleast to begin with. However, soon they'll start influencing shopping patterns.
    Oh, poor helpless Indians! We must blame THEM for influencing OUR shopping patterns?
    presence..does not mean there is demand for it.
    I am trying to think of a business that will keep its door open with no customers.

Pranam.

PS I am not in favor of WalMart coming to India, but am just taking the position that WE will make its entry successful. Without US patronizing it, they would shut down in no time. WE are the enablers, why blame WalMart?

Namaste,

Oh, poor helpless Indians! We must blame THEM for influencing OUR shopping patterns?
    Ridiculous. Am not blaming them/anyone for poor decisions made by a consumer. That is, only when the consumer has an OPTION to choose. And a decision to make. I am NOT a customer of McD simply because i can look for a small thela/roadside shop. However, if i do NOT have the option of buying from a smaller guy because the big guy has eaten him up, am FORCED to become a customer of the big guy, though I may NOT like doing so. Do i have an option there? No. And yes, they have already influenced the shopper.

I am trying to think of a business that will keep its door open with no customers. WE are the enablers, why blame WalMart?
    let me help you out. Why did pepsi/coke take so long a time, in India, to break even? Think goldspot, thumsup and other local brands. These were favoured by people when the colas made inroads. They, with their deep pockets, took time to buy out/nuke the competition out. They had to 'overcome' the perceptions about how old fashioned lassi/nimbu paani was. And they heavily used actors/actresses to prove their point as to how 'cool' drinking coke is. They're still doing this, btw.

Monopoly and money power for you, in a nutshell. Walmart is its OWN enabler, of course with its deep pockets and bought out politcos.

Kirana storeowners rightly feel that walmart's pockets are deep enough to undersell at the beginning, take on losses, wipe out the little guys and then jack up the prices.What about monsanto trying its level best to prevent farmers from buying any other seeds other than their useless GMO seeds? And it does this by tying up with the seed corporation, a govt organization, to supply its lousy seeds.
    Last edited by ShriBala; 05 December 2012 at 11:42 PM.

Namaste,
    You sound ridiculous.
    Thank you, I will take that as a compliment.

These days, in India, you just need to put on a SALE sign at the front of the shop/mall and people think they've been invited to a free lunch. This is pathetic, to say the least.
    Perhaps we agree on something; that it is our fault to let outsiders get a foothold. All that superior intellect and superior religion and spirituality don't help us when we see a SALE sign.

Walmart is its OWN enabler, of course with its deep pockets and bought out politcos.
    Whose fault is it if outsiders can buy our politicians?
    US has the best Congress that money can buy. Indian politicians are merely following in their footsteps.

Kirana storeowners rightly feel that walmart's pockets are deep enough to undersell at the beginning, take on losses, wipe out the little guys and then jack up the prices.
    Can't disagree with you on that, but that is the way free enterprise works. Regarding letting Wal Mart come to India; like I said, I don't like it either, but letting steam off in this forum is not going to do anything. We need to get out and do something that will actually make a difference. There needs to be an Indian Spring in which the crooks are dragged out and beaten up with chappals. Last year somebody started that with Sharad Pawar, but no one else followed up.

Anyway, I may seem to be opposing you, but I am not. I am just saying that instead of blaming others, we have to rise and take control. But who will lead and be the catalyst? And what purpose does making negative posts here help? That has been done many times before.

Pranam.

Thread Information