Thread: Hare Krishna, Dublin

Hare Krishna, Dublin

Hi guys,

A quick intro about myself, I'm a 29 lad from Dublin.
    I was raised a Christian and found it wasn't for me. I ended up studying science and became an Atheist. But still felt something was missing. I'm a big fan of George harrison, and watching a documentary on him, found out he was a big part of the Hare Krishna movement in the west. After the documentary I started to chant daily. This has really felt positive inside. I'm also trying to attend my local temple but, to be honest I'm a bit intimidated. I know nothing of the Krishna Consciousness, or being a Hindu.

But I'm drawn to it...

Anyway my question is, is anyone on here from Ireland?
    Or anyone with some advice on how to start my journey?

Re: Hare Krishna, Dublin

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 11 December 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Namaste Dublin

You have already started a great journey! Perhaps you are a fan of Mr. Harrison, but he was a "fan" of Krishna. I was a Hindu long before I first put my hands on the very large size book KRSNA (volume 1) which had the introduction or prefix written by George Harrison who, if I remember correctly, sponsored/funded the publication of this ISKCON book.

Have you by chance read this book? (KRSNA)? Even today I remember fondly opening it.

Welcome to the forum, and Hare Krishna.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste Dublin,

You're the only other person I have ever seen here on Hindu Dharma Forums who is also Irish and from Dublin. Like yourself I was born and raised Christian (Catholic) but found I disliked a lot of what I saw not only in the RC Church but also felt there was something lacking in Christianity as well. Turned to Buddhism for a while and then decided to look further back to its own original source, Sanatana Dharma. I've been living with Hindu faith and beliefs for almost 5 or 6 years now and I've never been more spiritually happy than ever.

I can understand the intimidation you're feeling. I still get that sometimes, feeling a bit like a fish out of water or something. My first bit of advice is to not to worry too much about "getting" it straight away. Enjoy the ride cause there is so much to learn. The vastness of Hinduism itself is such that you may feel a bit overwhelmed and confused at times if things seem to contradict itself. This is all part of the valuable learning experience, somthing to relish, not brush over.

The Hindu community within Ireland is still relatively small, so other than the ISKCON centres around the country (there is one right in the middle of Dublin city centre along with their many chain Govinda vegetarian restaurants) temples themselves are few and far between. I expect it will only be a matter of time before this changes, given the growing diversity of the modern Irish community. You're in luck in this regard! I haven't gone to any group meetings myself yet, but the Hare Krishnas are generally a very warm and welcoming bunch, and would probably be happy to give you suggestions on what to read if you're really into following the Krishna Consciousness movement.

Good luck on your journey! May it be as rewarding as it will be exciting.

Shanti

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Quote Originally Posted by ConsideringInDublin View Post
    Hi guys,

A quick intro about myself, I'm a 29 lad from Dublin.
    I was raised a Christian and found it wasn't for me. I ended up studying science and became an Atheist. But still felt something was missing. I'm a big fan of George harrison, and watching a documentary on him, found out he was a big part of the Hare Krishna movement in the west. After the documentary I started to chant daily. This has really felt positive inside. I'm also trying to attend my local temple but, to be honest I'm a bit intimidated. I know nothing of the Krishna Consciousness, or being a Hindu.

But I'm drawn to it...

Anyway my question is, is anyone on here from Ireland?
    Or anyone with some advice on how to start my journey?
    Namaste,

Welcome to HDF

You have already started your journey.

You can read Bhagavatam to begin with. It focuses on Bhakti (devotion). Bhagawad Gita (bhagavad gita or bhagawat Gita) is also very important as it covers all spiritual paths - karma, bhakti, jnana and even Yog.

Keep chanting Gods name and listen to devotional songs if they are available, else Just keep chanting mantra and extend the period of time of chanting. If possible, you can visit Krishna temple and chant the name there. You can ask any temple Priest for direction.

Do not worry about religion. It's not compulsory to convert to Hinduism to practice it.

Another addition to the reading will be Vishnu Purana. Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu. Puranas are comparatively easier and more like stories, but with spiritual messages and guidance.

Aum
    Indiaspirituality
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste and welcome, ConsideringInDublin! Though I am not from Ireland, I'm of Irish ancestry (from the US) and my story is very similar to yours (Catholic background, and very, very fond of George Harrison).

You're already getting very good advice from others on this forum. Keep up your practice and read as much as you can about Hindu traditions. You'll find that the right people, books, etc. will appear when you need them and are ready (just as George Harrison already has).

If anyone ever gives you grief about "abandoning the religion of your ancestors," you may want to point out that our ancient Celtic ancestors' religion was actually very, very similar to Hindu Dharma. The Druids were our Brahmins. That might be a topic that you find interesting as well.

I wish you all the very best on your path.

Thread Information