Thread: Spiritual Disconnect

Spiritual Disconnect

Namaste all,

It's been a while since I last posted here, I do apologize. So much has been going on in my life that I've only had a chance to lurk here and not post. That's kind of how it's been with my Hindu practices lately, too...although I've been wanting to, I can't seem to find the time or spare energy these busy days to meditate, chant mantras/prayers, or do simple pujas; me not having a car of my own certainly doesn't help when it comes to attending temple services either!

I guess what I'm saying is that because of my busy life, I've been feeling somewhat exhausted and thus not able to really connect with God(s) as much as I'd want to. I try to keep Lord Ganesha in my heart, but it feels like that's not enough.

I'm not quite sure what I want to ask here...maybe a good way of getting back into the swing of things? Some method of re-establishing spiritual practice again? Or something to educate myself with?

Sorry if this is sort of vague...but hopefully you'll understand.

Re: Spiritual Disconnect

Namaste Webimpulse,

I too have had this experience, and I think it's fairly common. The hectic pace of modern life certainly doesn't help. Don't feel too discouraged. You've recognized the problem at least...

Can I assume you own a copy of the Gita? Sometimes when I have literally no energy for anything else, I can at least read a chapter from the Gita before konking out. Another thing I sometimes do - If you have a mala - in particular one with 108 beads, I wrap it around my wrist and just close my eyes, and give a few moments to think of the Goddess (or Krishna, or Shiva - whomever speaks to you). The pressure of the mala around my wrist is a gentle reminder to give more time to God when I can. This is not really a substitute for an in depth prayer, but it helps to retain a feeling of connection on the most hectic of days, and sometimes that little connection is all we need to keep ourselves feeling at peace.

Also, if you have a shrine, something as simple a smiling in the direction of your ishta-dev can feel good. Acknowledge that you are thinking or God. Sometimes that helps.
    Hopefully there are others with more experience to offer suggestions!

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Spiritual Disconnect

Namaskar. I'm no expert in this, but all i can say is it's indeed a common experience. Especially when the sadhaka is starting out on the path. Getting into a guilt based negative spiral is not going to be of any help.
    Even in day-to-day life, when we decide to adopt a new habit/discard an older one, theere would be resistance after the enthusiasm of the initial few days wanes.
    Why should spiritual practice be any different? In fact, i'd read that when people start doing gAyatri japa sadhanA, this resistance, which appears in the form of many a curveball, is the result of our negative gunk being removed.

That said, here are a couple of, imo doable, options which i can think of:

1. surya namaskara in the early morning improves mental fitness.
    2. Before starting off your work, you could dedicate a few moments to your ishta daiva roopam
    3. The same in the night when yoiu could thank Him/Her and wish your ishta good night before hitting the bed
    4. If you cook, you could prepare naivedyam for your ishta.

5. You could have a chat when you feel down-in-the-dumps. Maybe, even visualizing/ thinking of the brilliant form of your ishta will infuse you with a shot of positive energy.

There ought to be *lots* of other options as well.

A spiritual soul told me that when he is in such a situation, he'd just chant some mantras listlessly. As the 'down phase' passes, and it does with god's help, the enthu returns and his sadhanA looks up.

I think Satya sai had remarked that if we keep chanting the names of the lord even w/o knowing any meaning etc, but with love and bhakti, over a period of time, the lord Himself decides to help you out.
    Last edited by ShriBala; 13 December 2012 at 01:16 AM.

Thread Information