Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure in Middle of Forehead

Question Pressure in Middle of Forehead

Namaste all,

I've been trying to get back into the meditation groove, and thus far, I seem to be able to. But there is one curious sensation I experience during my meditation that I was hoping I could get some explanation for from the forums here.

I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, other than as a pressure in the middle of my head where the third eye chakra would normally be, I think. I always seem to experience this sensation when I go particularly deep. It almost feels like...something's growing in there, or crawling around, I don't know. It really is hard to describe.

Here's the thing - when I told some of my Hindu friends about it, I got varying responses. Some said it was the pineal gland working, others said I should get medical attention! I actually did seek medical attention for it a few months back. They actually did an MRI of the affected region, and while they did find something medically relevant (which I won't share here for privacy's sake), it didn't seem to be related to the forehead feelings I experience during meditation. Besides, it's still going on even after all that hullabaloo, so I'm pretty convinced the forehead pressure is something else.

Anyone have any input on what this is, or what it could signify?

Re: Pressure in Middle of Forehead

I can only speculate, as I'm not a meditation of medical expert, but I have experienced a similar sensation, although mine sounds more mild than yours. While meditating I will feel a soft pressure on my forehead between the eyes, as if someone is pressing their finger there. I'd be interested in seeing what more experienced members have to say on this topic.

peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste WI,

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, other than as a pressure in the middle of my head where the third eye chakra would normally be, I think. I always seem to experience this sensation when I go particularly deep. It almost feels like...something's growing in there, or crawling around, I don't know. It really is hard to describe.
    What are doing while meditating ? What you are focussing at ? Where do you keep your gaze fixed while meditating ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste all,

I've been trying to get back into the meditation groove, and thus far, I seem to be able to. But there is one curious sensation I experience during my meditation that I was hoping I could get some explanation for from the forums here.

Here's the thing - when I told some of my Hindu friends about it, I got varying responses. Some said it was the pineal gland working, others said I should get medical attention! I actually did seek medical attention for it a few months back. They actually did an MRI of the affected region, and while they did find something medically relevant (which I won't share here for privacy's sake), it didn't seem to be related to the forehead feelings I experience during meditation. Besides, it's still going on even after all that hullabaloo, so I'm pretty convinced the forehead pressure is something else.

Anyone have any input on what this is, or what it could signify?
    You can focus your attention on the feeling and observe it, it should go away unless there are medical reasons behind it,
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

I have this sensation very frequently, and like you, it happens when I go especially deeply into meditation, and is sometimes accompanied by other sensations and experiences as well. I have been told that it is related the ajñā chakra ("third eye" chakra) and that it indicates that energy is being either absorbed or processed through that center.

I've never sought medical attention for it because it is painless and is, as I understand it, related to subtle energies that medical science has yet to really comprehend. It's been happening to me for over 20 years with no other ill effects of which I am aware. But it's good to know that your medical results were negative in this regard.

I began having this experience when I first started meditating regularly in college. I had no idea what it meant, initially. It intensified after a shaktipat experience that I had at a Siddha Yoga program when I was 22.

Namaste devotee and Jeffery D. Long,

To answer devotee's question first - I often have my eyes closed when meditating, and the sensation occurs after doing some mantra chanting to Ganesha, or after I do some pranayama.

And Jeffery D. Long - that's certainly interesting to know, but can you please tell me what a shaktipat experience is? Not familiar with that word.

Otherwise, thanks for the input, everyone.
    Last edited by Webimpulse; 15 December 2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Namaste WI,

To answer devotee's question first - I often have my eyes closed when meditating, and the sensation occurs after doing some mantra chanting to Ganesha, or after I do some pranayama.
    See, it can't happen due to chanting mantra or closing your eyes or by PrANAyAma. There has to be a third cause which you are not telling us.The point between your eyebrows is the Ajna-chakra. If you try to fix your gaze at that point or try to meditate at that point one-pointedly ... after sometime, you may get sensation there. However, it is a pleasant sensation and will appear like a mild current flowing from there to sahasrAr and back.

However, if you do it wrongly, it would develop pressure on your eyelids and create pain.

OM
    Last edited by yajvan; 16 December 2012 at 11:00 AM.
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Devotee is correct. This center is the ajñā-chakra, and energy flows through it. This energy is sometimes called kundalini or kundalini-shakti (coiled energy) and is stored in the subtle body in a space that corresponds with the area around the base of the spine. It can flow upward through a channel called the sushumna-nadi and activate the various chakras that rest along it. The ajñā-chakra is the penultimate chakra and the top one, to which Devotee refers, is the sahasrar-chakra, which resides roughly in the same space as the brain, at the crown of the head.

Shaktipat is a phenomenon in which an advanced yogi can activate the kundalini of a practitioner, causing it to rise to and energize all of the chakras, culminating with the sahasrar-chakra. It is a very purifying experience, and quite profound. When it happened to me, it felt as if a powerful (but not unpleasant) electrical current was flowing throughout my body. I then had a prolonged experience of non-dual consciousness. The only way I can put it into words is to say that I saw a fountain of brilliant light, and while I was absorbed in observing this fountain of light, I simultaneously realized that I was this fountain of light.

Ever since then I have had, while meditating, and at other times as well, a sensation like the one you have described of a pressure or a tingling in the forehead, as if a current of energy is flowing through it.

I would also note that this sensation is sometimes (though not always) accompanied by a ringing in my ears. This ringing is not unpleasant, but noticeable.

I would appreciate any insight others can share on this topic.
    Last edited by Jeffery D. Long; 16 December 2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added a couple of sentences.

Even i feel similar sensation between forehead while mediating. It feels as if i am growing and getting bigger. Sometimes it becomes so intense that i have to open my eyes against my wish.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    The point between your eyebrows is the Ajna-chakra. If you try to fix your gaze at that point or try to meditate at that point one-pointedly ... after sometime, you may get sensation there. However, it is a pleasant sensation and will appear like a mild current flowing from there to sahasrAr and back.
    I do apologize for answering this question so late after the original reply, but actually, this is the sensation I am referring to when I originally created this thread. It took me a while to realize that's what it actually is...like I said when I created this thread, I didn't know how to describe the sensations.

Anyway, what do such sensations mean?

Thread Information