Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Anxiety

Re: 2012 Anxiety

[quote=Webimpulse;95976]I... I'm having a lot of anxiety about the week ahead and ultimately December 21, 2012.quote]

Whoever is so highly optimistic of truncating the kaliyuga to nearly nonexisting lengths is clearly dreaming.
    A long way to go mahashay (sir), a very long way to go….and suffer. Nice try though. Namaste.

Vanakkam

I don't believe the world will end. Seeing all the fuss of people hugging trees, talking to fairies, or believing aliens will come to save them is a good reason not to believe in it.
    Proofs of the end of the world have been given by obscure pseudo-neo-esoterico-scientifics about parallel fairies worlds and reversed magnetic field that are completely absurd, and non convincing.
    On the other hands I have seen astronomers and scientifics (that rely more on science and logic than fairies and aliens) explaining why this cannot happen, and also saying that the Mayan calendrar is not the same as us. It's based on the moon, and days have been added to the western calendrar, Cesar did it. Thus, the mayan 21/12/2012 is already behind us.

And even with that...If the world is gonna really end, what can I do about it ? Nothing. This is Mahadev's will.

Don't spend the week watching TV broadcasts or ""documentaries"" saying all those kind of stupidity (aliens will come, asteroids will destroy us, big flood, reptilians coming out from the bottom of the earth, omg!)

Look at all the buisness behind this...People buying tons and tons of canned food, weapons, all of these sold by buisness people that don't give a damn about the end of the world and just see another opportunity to milk the mass flock that believe everything you put in their mouth.
    It's a big deal in my country too, have you heard of Bugharach ? It's believed that it's an alien base. Or that aliens will come here. Or that there is a dimentionnal portal to the fairy world. I'm not even joking. Some opportunists make people pay 5000 euros for a 3 day walk on Bugharach to learn how to be ready "to go to the other dimentionnal side" on 21/12/2012. Basically, they hug trees, hunt fairies and hold their hands while crying because they feel they are almost entering the other dimmentionnal place of the montain where aliens and fairies wait for them.

I mean, seriously.

Seriously.

So much buisness, so much fuss about this, if you listen to what they are saying on tv and books lately, we are going to die 10000 times by 100000 different means in one week. This is completely illogical.

My advice, stop watching lousy tv shows or read about it, live your life, don't go outside on the 21.12.2012 (because you don't know what stupid people will do "because it's the apocalypse", like lighting fires or do dangerous things)

And of course, the next morning you wake up, you take a good coffee/tea/hot chocolate/whatever, you turn on your tv and enjoy the s**storm about how the apocalypse didn't happened.

Remind me of the day we were supposed to be "abducted" by angels or whatever because it was written in some obscure book that this precise day God would come in person to judge and abduct the good people etc etc.
    Nothing happened. It was really, really funny.

Take it easy

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    I...don't know...well, it might be a sign of craziness or delusion
    Yes it might be, the forehead pressure thing and now this 2012 anxiety. You do need to relax a bit.

I don't see how anyone could be so copacetic about the world's possible violent demise. It's like they don't care if their fellow human being suffers or dies as a result. They think they'll always be one of the few worthy survivors roaming the streets of a post-apocalyptic world or some such. How can these people not care? If disaster as depicted in Hollywood really does happen, it won't be pleasant or painless. You'll most likely suffer greatly or die in an agonizing way. And yet it just seems like so many people, fed up with humanity as a whole, want this to happen. It makes me sick and terrified!
    Feeling special & privileged is like a drug and unscrupulous 'spiritual' leaders are taking advantage of this innate weakness to rake money from these gullible people. Wearing red or saffron robes and claiming to shiva or shakti yogis doesn't make one Hindu or authentic in any shape or form.

I thought most clever spiritual businessmen won't jump into the 2012 apocalypse bandwagon since its so obviously stupid. But it seems people are even more stupider that in spite of the heavy dose of apocalyptic fear mongering people have stuck on to these fraudsters even more.

I know that there are plenty of counter sources saying nothing major will happen on 2012, and especially some Hindus saying it's all hype. But still, the anxiety remains. It just seems like some psycho will do something horrible just to prove the prophecies right in some way.
    There are no sources or counter sources. This BS was started by some new age snake oil sells men. And some Hindu looking [in dress and race] gurus have also jumped in to cash in on the hysteria to boost the sell of more saptashati yagyas and mantras.

I know if the world does end on that day, there's nothing I can do anyway...I'm just so sickened at the callousness of so many people who are completely oblivious to the suffering that might occur. I don't want anything to happen on that day. I'm not ready...
    World can end any moment. All it needs is a sizable space rock to hit us like it has before. Or it could be through slow climate changes which has also happened before. Mass extinction is part of earth rituals. Life is indeed very precarious and human life even more so. How you come to terms with this fact is up to you. Some indeed believe that some sort of God is looking down on the insignificant human species to save them after their death. It can be a way to deal with the mental pressure.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I better return all my library books ....

iti śiva
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

Please don't worry about all this 2012 nonsense. Just live your life and do your sadhana like normal and everything will go on just fine.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

I am not aware of any reliable Vedic source that predicts the end of the world, or even of the current yuga, in 2012, or any time soon.

I suspect that "end of the world" anxiety stems largely from the Abrahamic belief (really derived from Zoroastrianism) in an end of linear time and a final judgment. So many predicted ends of the world have come and gone that one would think people would have learned by now that such predictions have no basis in reality.

There is much wisdom in the postings of those on this forum who have said, essentially, "If the world is going to end, there is nothing we can do about it, so why worry?" We (i.e. our bodies) are all going to die eventually. All material things must pass.

Namaste all,

Thank you for all the reassurances (and humor!)...that said, this thread of mine - which I admit sounded silly in retrospect - seems to point to a much larger issue with myself, one that I'm not sure how to solve.

That issue is my anxiety, and not only is this fear and anxiety ever present in my life, it seems like nothing can stop it. It's like it's hard-wired in my brain somehow - I've tried to address it medically with therapy, antidepressants, etc., and nothing seems to have worked on that end. Practicing the Sanatana Dharma seems to help somewhat, but I still get episodes of extreme anxiety that I can't control! It's like God wants me to feel fear all the time...I know God doesn't but my brain says otherwise.

I wish there was some way I could eliminate this horrible feeling from my life...there has to be some way, but I can't seem to get rid of it, no matter how hard I try.

Webimpulse, we will hold you in our thoughts and prayers and hearts.

This is a saṃskāra that has become very deeply embedded in your consciousness, and will take time and practice to uproot (and seeking medical help as you have done is of course a good idea as well).

I am sure the answer must be yes, but do you follow a regular meditation practice? I have also had issues with both anxiety and depression at various times in my life (usually induced by outside circumstances), and sādhana can work wonders. But it is not an instantaneous cure, and it is only with regular practice over an extended period of time that results begin to be felt. Even a little bit of practice (15-20 minutes a day), but done regularly, has a better effect than one or two really long sessions.

Let us all know how we can help.

Dear Webimpulse,

Think hard. What can happen to "you" ? Actually, nothing. You have a body which is meant to be destroyed ... so why worry ? Whether you worry over it or sip a cup of coffee smilingly talking over death and destruction on 21 Dec'2012 ... it hardly matters. Your worries or your gossiping at ease has nothing to contribute to anything which is going to happen to this world. Yes, you can always save yourself from the pains of unnecessary worries.

You didn't decide to be born ... did you ? ... and it happened without your worries, right ? You didn't decide to have parents as you got ... and yet you got ... you will not decide when the disaster strikes ... or whether it would strike at all ! By living in fear you are dying every moment ... You are not really living when you are alive. This body is not yours ... you have borrowed it from nature and when you go from this world ... you have to return it back to nature. You are immortal and indestructible ... nothing can happen to you.

We can be helpless in case of money, opportunities in life and can blame it on fate ... but why should be their poverty in having good thoughts ? You don't have to pay a penny for that !

Nurture good thoughts and be ready to face death /disaster any moment. Unless you are ready to die any kind of death any moment ... you won't be able to live happily.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

While new agers are cashing in on the hopes and anguish of 21/12/12, some bit of news most of us may have missed last week. As I said it needs far less and magnetic pole shifting or some such elaborate concoction to threat life in earth.

As if 12/12/12 wasn’t curious enough of a date already with the whole Mayan-doomsday-but-not-really thing, there’s also the dicey issue of tomorrow’s relatively close encounter with the huge (nearly three miles long) 4179 Toutatis asteroid, expected to pass within 4 million miles of Earth. As the author of this story puts it, “On the scale of the cosmos, that is a very close shave.” But if you think that’s too close for comfort, how about an asteroid passing within just 140,000 miles (only 60% of the distance between the Earth and moon) of our planet? Guess what?... already happened earlier this morning.
    Discovered only two days ago, XE54 came about as close to crashing into Earth as an asteroid can without actually doing so - close enough to be “eclipsed by Earth’s shadow, causing its shadow to ‘wink out’ for a short time,” according to Universe Today.
    With a diameter of just 72-160 feet, XE54 is a far cry from the over six-mile wide asteroid that wiped out dinosaurs (and about 50% of all life’s species) 65 million years ago. But, while it’s possible an asteroid of this size would produce nothing more than a brilliant fireball as it disintegrated after entering the atmosphere, a direct hit by remaining rock chunks on a populated region could be disastrous.
    Believe it or not, a surprise near miss of this sort is not especially unusual. In June 2011, an asteroid estimated about 30 feet in size (“2011 MD”) passed by Earth and missed a direct hit by only 7,500 miles. An even closer encounter occurred earlier in 2011 when another small asteroid missed Earth by just 3,400 miles.
    Asteroids coming this close cross through the zone of geosynchronous satellites (such as the GOES series). The chances of an asteroid-satellite collision are extremely small, though not zero.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...91d6_blog.html

I was reading in today's newspaper that contingency plan is being proposed to deal with such and potentially more serious catastrophic situations. The larger asteroid is set to pass close to earth on 2029 and there is a probability of it being deflected by earths gravitational field to be on a direct collision course by 2039. That is of what we know.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Thread Information