Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: that whole God and the anathema of existence nonsense

that whole God and the anathema of existence nonsense

People say that the world is so miserable and thus God is cruel and subsequently is thus unworthy of worship.

Ok we shall play by your own point

Let's say God doesn't exist, as such you cannot find God responsible for the status of the world.

What else then to attribute the condition of the world to?

The universe! You should rightfully then take your complaints to the universe if you can't attribute it to God.

So the universe is messed up correct? Why don't you kill yourself? It is as you make it bad afterall! It's so depressingly miserable and full of evil that any cause of it is something you will never surmount to celebrating it. After if you don't worship God because of this it does mean you disagree with the status of the world.

If you don't kill yourself it means you still insomeway accept the universe!

If you can accept the universe then why can't you accept the cause of it?

Pain, suffering and natural disasters exists to show how powerless and weak man is and how he should be humble to greater things that are a threat/impediment to his existence.

Re: that whole God and the anathema of existence nonsense

Sorry if there are ppl who think make equivocation of killing oneself and worship of God is convoluted. Its my genetic background that makes me reason that way. I make the worship of God the basis of my existence.

Namaste Kumar_Das,

That has to probably be the most blunt argument against suicide that I've ever read. Not that that's a bad thing...sometimes you need to be blunt to convince a person to go on living.

It's not that I'm against bluntness, but I think there is a time and a place for it. But that's off topic here. I'm just not sure what else to contribute.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I do not see where God fits in to the string... it seems it is more about complaints and what actions occur and where to place blame.
    Perhaps I am missing a subtle point ?

Yet that said , for many , the universe is non-different then the Supreme. Using ~fancy wording~ the supreme is viśvottīrṇa and viśmaya. Now what are these terms ?
    • viśvottīrṇa is of a transcendental nature. Yet this ~transcendence~ is all pervading due the composition of this term:
      • viśva = all-pervading or all-containing , omnipresent
      • uttīrṇa = traversed
    • viśmaya - within and throughout the universe
      viś =to sink or be immersed or be absorbed in
    • maya = māya = measured out; the infinite measured out as the finite or the universe we see.
    So, what problem(s) can I attribute to the universe and leave the Supreme behind, or out of sight ?

iti śivaṁ
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan,

Off the topic....
    Irrespective of the topic, each time i read your post my संस्कृतम् (saṃskṛtam) vocabulary goes up by at least one count.

Anirudh...

Vannakkam

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    and how he should be humble to greater things that are a threat/impediment to his existence.
    Cowardice?

If something is a threat to you, you simply do not retreat and let it threaten you further. You always find a way to overcome it. I've never heard of people being "humble" towards something that is threatening. Just saying...

Aum Namah Shivaya

Equinox,
    If something is a threat to you, you simply do not retreat and let it threaten you further. You always find a way to overcome it. I've never heard of people being "humble" towards something that is threatening. Just saying...
    I will wait for KD's reply. how ever I haven't understood your view in the context of this post. Kindly elaborate
    Anirudh...

Vannakkam

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Equinox,

I will wait for KD's reply. how ever I haven't understood your view in the context of this post. Kindly elaborate
    Kumar Das's choice of the words "threat" and "impediment" were a little too harsh in this context. Surely Mother Nature is not always a "threat" and definitely not an "impediment" to the extent we cant progress?

The words "humble", "threat" and "impediment" aren't exactly suitable. When earthquakes or tsunamis occur, you find ways to escape it, or in some countries buildings are constructed to withstand these things. That doesn't mean we are humble and back down. We respect its greatness as part of nature and another of God's creations.

What I meant was, we should be humble and respectful towards all of nature, not just because its a "threat" or an "impediment".

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    If you can accept the universe then why can't you accept the cause of it?
    I accept the cause, flying spaghetti monsters, UFO's, big bangs & busts and all that...
    Last edited by Twilightdance; 16 December 2012 at 02:11 AM.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Pranaam Equinox,

Thanks for the explanation.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information