Thread: Lord Ganesha and Obstacles

Lord Ganesha and Obstacles

Vanakkam,

Dear all,

let we discuss or share about :

In Puranas and some verse in Veda, Lord Ganesh is known as Lord of obstacles and get the boon , before we worship any deities, we should worship Lord Ganesh first.

Some peoples always do this, worship Lord Ganesh first before another worship

But also many peoples ( or sect ) is not worship Lord Ganesh first, they directly worship the main deities. ( Then also get sucsess )

it is any opinion or explanation, or scripture based theory who explain about this ?

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Re: Lord Ganesha and Obstacles

I'm obviously no expert, so I have no definitive answer, but if I had to guess, I think it would depend on what the purpose of the worship was...for example, I saw a Carnatic dance performance where the dancers did a dance to Saraswati, and then Ganesha.

Again, that's just a guess, though, I could be wrong.

My religion is Vaishnavism, and we do not need to worship Ganesha if we just offer our respects to Sri Guru and then worship Sri Krishna/Vishnu/Ramachandra!

For many Vaishnavas like me, God (Vishnu) is like the tree, and all the other devatas (or gods), are the leaves of the tree. By watering the roots of the tree, then all the leaves benefit from the water, but watering the leaves first only moistens the tree a little.

In the same way, Vaishnavas don't always ask for the blessings of Lord Ganesha, because if we give our prayers to our Supreme God, Lord Vishnu (or Krishna), then all the devatas receive blessings from God too!

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Vanakkam,

it is any opinion or explanation, or scripture based theory who explain about this ?
    Namaste. Aum Gum Ganapataye Namah:

It all is about how Lord Ganesha came to be in the first place as to why we worship him first (I always do)...

Lady Parvati Devi decided she wanted to bathe naked in a river, but she was afraid of spies, peeping toms and bandits who may take advantage of her virtue.

She created a 'guard'...a little boy made out of river clay and the sweat/scum from her own body and She breathed life into it. She told the boy to guard the path leading to the spot and to let nobody pass, no matter who it was.

Well, the boy was made from her body, so of course he would say 'Worry not, my mother. I shall die defending your honour'...and off he went.

Approaching was Lord Shiva on the path, but the boy would not let him through and barred his way. The boy did not recognise him and thought he was a bhuta or something, so he remained adamant. Lord Shiva grew very impatient and then very angry with the boy for his insolence and not 'letting God through' and a fight broke out.

During the fight, Lord Shiva grabbed his Trishul and threw it at the boy, totally decapitating him.

Lady Parvati felt immense pain in her body and started screaming and rushed to the scene, when she saw what her husband, Lord Shiva just done and she started to turn into Maha Kali with rage...she told Lord Shiva that the boy was only following her orders and he was her devotee and 'son'...and it was Lord Shiva's son too...and he just killed him.

Lord Shiva, overcome with remorse, grief and sadness, hurled his Trishul into space and around the world, telling it to bring him the head of the 'first living creature' it finds (which happened to be that of an Elephant). Lord Shiva attached the elephant's head onto the body and breathed life into it again, then Lord Ganesha was born.

By way of 'apology' to Lord Ganesha and Lady Parvati Devi, Lord Shiva declared that his Son will always be the first to be worshipped in Pujas/prayers and will remove all obstacles of those who pray sincerely to him.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 15 January 2013 at 05:54 AM.

Lord Ganesha presides over the Mooladhara chakra. (Reference). Mooladhara is the most primitive of all the chakras, yet the most vital to a spiritual aspirant because if we see what is the most difficult task in spiritual ascension, that is 'opening of the mooladhara chakra' and having the kundalini rise above. This is the most important prerequisite before advanced yogic and bhakti practices can produce any result for the native. Thus, I believe that, owing to this importance assigned to the mooladhara chakra, the deity presiding it, Lord Ganesha is given prime importance to be given first respects. Even in Srivaishnava pujas such as Sri Satyanarayana pooja, a turmeric Ganesha is first made and offered obeisances to, in our practice.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information