Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 118

Thread: The Shame Capital.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    The Holy Land - India
    Posts
    2,667
    Rep Power
    5153

    The Shame Capital.....

    Last edited by Believer; 23 December 2012 at 05:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    s
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

    Have we come down to this level?
    It would be just be a prejudice to assume that abuse of women is a new thing.

    NCR has always been the worst place for women in India topped by only western UP and Haryana.

    What is disturbing to me is the apathy of the administration. The extreme brutality combined with a middle class educated victim [instead of a improvised village girl] has shaken up sleeping urban middle class of India who now suddenly feel they are not safe anymore. However, this whole year an unusually high frequency of such events have been happening brazenly without any action from administration in rural areas of Haryana. These incidents along with the Khap panchayet justice system really begs the question if India is at all a civilized nation?

    When govt is incapable of doing anything sensible and concrete to protect women of the country, only option left is that the citizens prepare to protect themselves against such incidents. All women can carry pepper sprays which are very effective to my knowledge to stop this type of things escalating. One can even think of carrying illegal firearms if the locality is especially prone to violence against the weak. Spending sometime in jail would be infinitely better option than going through what happened to this paramedic student.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself And there isn't one

  3. #3
    Join Date
    August 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    681

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    s

    All women can carry pepper sprays which are very effective to my knowledge to stop this type of things escalating.

    What? The problem with this is that it places the burden of responsibility on the woman. It makes it the woman's job to prevent her own rape so that in the minds of the populace if "she didn't have pepper spray she deserved it."

    Sorry, but that doesn't fly. The problem won't go away with increased fire-arms and arming women. A single man is strong enough to overpower a woman, so how effective would a can of pepper spray be against four attackers anyway?

    The problem of rape and sexual crimes has to do with an entire society believing that since it's inevitable, there's no point in doing anything about it. The problem is rampant in the US as well. There's even a phrase for it here, "Rape Culture" - which is a society that undermines it's own efforts to stop rape by encouraging shame in the victim, telling her if she says no she's a tease and a prude at the same time, and by raising boys to think they have some sort of right to a woman's body whenever they please.

    Men and boys need to be re-educated, and women need to be encouraged to come forward, and society needs to stop blaming the victim.

    It's a shame that this type of crime is still very alive and well all over the world.

    Peace.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


  4. #4
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post
    What? The problem with this is that it places the burden of responsibility on the woman. It makes it the woman's job to prevent her own rape so that in the minds of the populace if "she didn't have pepper spray she deserved it."

    Sorry, but that doesn't fly. The problem won't go away with increased fire-arms and arming women. A single man is strong enough to overpower a woman, so how effective would a can of pepper spray be against four attackers anyway?

    The problem of rape and sexual crimes has to do with an entire society believing that since it's inevitable, there's no point in doing anything about it. The problem is rampant in the US as well. There's even a phrase for it here, "Rape Culture" - which is a society that undermines it's own efforts to stop rape by encouraging shame in the victim, telling her if she says no she's a tease and a prude at the same time, and by raising boys to think they have some sort of right to a woman's body whenever they please.

    Men and boys need to be re-educated, and women need to be encouraged to come forward, and society needs to stop blaming the victim.

    It's a shame that this type of crime is still very alive and well all over the world.

    Peace.
    Very good, go and change the mind set of the whole society. Best of luck.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself And there isn't one

  5. #5
    Join Date
    October 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    624
    Rep Power
    2221

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    Namast,

    Have we come down to this level?
    Believer, consider this: this kind of violent assault has been perpetuated against women for many, many centuries; people have not "come down to this level" in modern times only. But nowadays such attacks are publicly reported upon, because the news is expected to draw attention (and even action, via protest), through a shared sense of outrage. So, though the crime itself continues to be a horror, I do take heart, a little, from the publication of actual articles about it - as opposed to just sweeping it under the rug and pretending it didn't happen.

    All women can carry pepper sprays--
    In India, women can. But pepper spray is illegal in many parts of the world, including my country, where using such spray on another person could stick me with a fine of hundreds of thousands of dollars and/or jail time, if it results in serious harm to that person.
    Pepper spray also becomes ineffective the moment a woman's hands are grabbed.
    "Great are you by spiritual vigor, the wild Bull, the awesome one who wins all wealth, conquering all that is other. As the One alone you are the ruler of all the world. Send men forth for battle and for rest."
    -Ṛgveda III.46.2.

    Arjunī
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjunī View Post
    All women can carry pepper sprays--
    Pepper spray also becomes ineffective the moment a woman's hands are grabbed.
    It is better to have chance than having none at all. Recently in Bangalore a lady got into a small accident which flared up. Her being of north eastern origin made it worse. Guess what, with pepper spray she could effectively incapacitate 20 odd men who could have potentially assaulted her. So it seems it can work. This incident it is not known if the lady was in trouble or created all the trouble since a traffic police is also in her victim list.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself And there isn't one

  7. #7
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjunī View Post
    But pepper spray is illegal in many parts of the world, including my country, where using such spray on another person could stick me with a fine of hundreds of thousands of dollars and/or jail time, if it results in serious harm to that person.
    Just down south of your country I gather one can shoot and kill teenagers and not even get arrested for standing their ground.

    I have been to Switzerland, and I can understand that why I would not be bothered about spray. If administration is that effective, nothing is needed. Not sure if Canada falls in the same league.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself And there isn't one

  8. #8
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    The Holy Land - India
    Posts
    2,667
    Rep Power
    5153

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    Namaste,

    Talking about other countries/places is a mere distraction. The issue is why does it happen in the land where women are supposed to be worshiped. Why has our moral compass gone so haywire? How can we claim Hinduism's superiority when it too produces animals?

    Pranam.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,867
    Rep Power
    2416

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest sympathies to the affected girl. I hope she stays alive and good. Like Believer, I wonder on a similar note, not on Hinduism, but on Police... I wonder if police around the world have no role to play in crime prevention.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

  10. #10
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: The Shame Capital.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest sympathies to the affected girl. I hope she stays alive and good. Like Believer, I wonder on a similar note, not on Hinduism, but on Police... I wonder if police around the world have no role to play in crime prevention.
    Delhi Police is over stressed with providing protection to vip's & vvip's at taxpayer cost. Even an ordinary breaurocrat most likely receives more security than heads of states in some other civilizied nations. So it is not practical to blame just the police where every tom dick or harry chair hugger wants and gets a convoy of protection for going to a shopping mall.

    But this is not about hinduism but current indian culture which is not entirely driven by hinduism.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself And there isn't one

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dussehra report from the capital
    By Believer in forum Canteen
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24 October 2012, 07:09 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05 June 2010, 12:29 AM
  3. Allah - The moon god
    By Sudarshan in forum Islam
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 07 September 2007, 08:29 PM
  4. Dharma and Capital Punishment
    By Sudarshan in forum On Dharma
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28 July 2006, 12:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •