Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shame Capital.....

Re: The Shame Capital.....

Also, I would like to say that I don't think these current events are evidence that Hinduism is inherently flawed when it comes to the treatment of women. As a woman I wouldn't have given SD a lot of consideration if I truly thought it taught it's adherents to abuse an entire gender. I'll echo what others have already stated and say that Hinduism's role in what is happening to women has to do either with the fact that people are "miss-practicing" their faith or not practicing at all.

Also, analyzing the social unrest in one culture does not mean one is ignoring the problems within one's home culture. Personally I was keeping with the subject of India since that was the request of the OP.

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post
    It appears that the female infanticide problem is fueled by the existence of a strong dowry culture. Would you say this is accurate? I can't suggest a solution to that, since I can imagine it's difficult to enforce laws that pertain to such a private part of family life. How does one know who broke a dowry law?
    Out of respect for the victim in this case and to not go off-topic too much from the intent of this thread, I will start another thread for dowry and give my perspective there.

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Out of respect for the victim in this case and to not go off-topic too much from the intent of this thread, I will start another thread for dowry and give my perspective there.

Pranam
    I'm not denying there are flaws in Indian culture. The dowry is certainly a flaw. All I am saying is that Indian culture of present times is not oppressive of woman - does not keep them in 19th or 18th century. (Jodhaa might benefit to know we had the 'Sati' system 200 yrs ago...)

I eagerly await the post on dowry.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Namaste,

Please note that India is NOT a China - not even 1% of the population indulges in female infanticide. It has happened in some very remote areas of the country in the past, but such cases are as rare as the recent gang rape ratio - a absolutely rare phenomenon. ...

infanticides - these are still very, very rare in India, IMO.
    Are you kidding, Aspirant? It hardly matters if it happens in china or not. The fact is: it happens in India. And it's a sickening thing.

Regarding female foeticides: we are missing millions of innocent girl kids. That is a fact! How do you think that the situation came to such a pass? And if you think this happened ONLY in remotest parts of the country, you are so wrong.

A couple of years back, TOI, had an article that the maximum number of gender based abortions in Delhi happened in, guess what, the most affluent area - Green park in South delhi, proving that poverty and illiteracy had nothing to do with treating someone as a human.

In fact, the female foeticides are so rampant in TN that a movie was made which spoofed the current scenario by having a village where boys will not be allowed to be born and if that happens they will be given 'kalli paal' marketed in a tetrapack with an ISD stamp on it.
    Last edited by ShriBala; 05 April 2013 at 05:24 PM.

ShriBala,

I'm aware of female infanticides, BUT I'm reinstating what I said at the outset - it does not happen even to 1% of the population, and that there are isolated cases. And I humbly believe, these cases have been duly reported and law enforcement has made sure such cases do not happen. All I'm aware of is a few cases reported at Usilampatti, a village in TN, which has been properly handled by law enforcement.

Thank you for letting me know about the kallipaal packets. I was not aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    ShriBala,

I'm aware of female infanticides, BUT I'm reinstating what I said at the outset - it does not happen even to 1% of the population, and that there are isolated cases.

Thank you for letting me know about the kallipaal packets. I was not aware of that.

Please look at the absolute numbers and not percentages. Even 1 percent is not a small number.

You missed the point the movie was trying to make regarding the packets. The procedure of female foeticide is so common that one day the poison could be manufactured and marketed as a product is what it was about.
    Last edited by ShriBala; 28 December 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShriBala View Post
    Please look at the absolute numbers and not percentages. Even 1 percent is not a small number.

You missed the point the movie was trying to make regarding the packets. The procedure of female foeticide is so common that one day the kallipaal could be manufactured and marketed as a product is what it was about.
    With convincing evidence (such as the South Delhi female infanticides), I have now become aware of the proportion of this problem in India. Therefore I take back my words presented regarding this point in argument. Sorry if I offended any.

Unhappy Re: The Shame Capital.....

Namaste,

Sad, Sad, Sad.....

Pranam.

The victim died
    wow, what a beautiful end to the play and a great Sunday cover story subject or a chai-biscuit gossip ....
    Anirudh...

Thread Information