Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shame Capital.....

Re: The Shame Capital.....

Namasté,

And while women are controlling their hydration needs, holding tight against passing stools and urine, repressing sexual desires lest they be deemed "bad women" (while their male partners are exonerated from this reputation), avoiding drinking and smoking, staying inside after sunset, dressing and applying makeup per general approval, and being otherwise reminded that they are potential victims and must speak and act accordingly, so that a perceived fall into "loose morals" doesn't open them up to sexual assault and murder -

What should men be doing to not assault them? How can society make that happen, so that women who would like to ride on buses and do some shopping and spend time breathing fresh air outdoors, are not penalized for being mature adult women in the presence of men?

I know that people who give safety advice are trying to stop more crimes from happening; ShivaFan, your many messages here have shown a very loving heart and the best of intentions in the posts you write. But the underlying message, each time a crime like this happens and women are reminded how to protect themselves, is, "Look, you are viewed as prey and are very likely to be assaulted. You need to always keep that in mind, and act accordingly." This attitude of that's-just-how-things-are, better-adapt-to-it, is part of the problem, in my opinion. A quarantine of the victims is a temporary measure against disease, but a better solution is to actively strive for treatment or even cure.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Namaste folks,

Just some simple clarifications - I never had problems using the bathroom facilities as I grew up in India.

And which country is not afraid of falling victim to crime? Just how many people will take the T beyond the sunset? There is even a popular saying against it in boston side.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Arjuni

You are very right, thanks for setting me straight. I honestly mean that.

Namaste all

Now over all, what about this idea of mine? It is probably stupid, but here goes!

Some are suggesting that perhaps an answer to this situation is to lower the age of legal marriage from the current 18 years old for females to 16 years old. I am hearing this from India. Now, I actually do not know what is the current law in Delhi in this regard, nor whether the law varies from State to State, or if there is one age limitation regarding marriage across all of India.

Can anyone clarify? Does this sound like a solution, perhaps? Never mind if some do not follow the law currently, I am talking about the actual laws themselves in India regarding marriage.

Personally, my response was I don’t think this would help. I do agree that part of the problem is there are not enough females perhaps in India, and I think I blame this on abortion which I oppose. I think a better solution is to see that there are more females. I know this sounds crazy. But for example, even though in some circles a boy is preferred over a girl (I LOVE girls! Give me 1008 girls! Jai Annapurna Devi, so I can feed 1008 girls!), if by chance you have a pretense to have a wife and couple who produce girl babies they should be encouraged to bring more loving and adorable girls into the world!

Also, I think the root to this problem is the lack of Dharma in this world. Dharma is the antipathy of behavior based on impulse, and those who seek immediate gratification. Today, everything is “too fast”, too many get things “immediately” (e.g. you can get a cup of tea immediately, you can call anyone from a cell phone immediately) – not that technology is bad, but too many have such selfish and frankly ridiculous expectations of immediate gratification and this is very bad for the world. And honestly is lacking, including honesty about what is possible or not possible. Phony politicians get elected or even reelected on false lies and promises of all sorts of “free bread” (e.g. free health care, free this or that), when frankly the world is so complicated and nothing is “free” and maybe we should just admit that for some things based on material matters (or materialism in general) there NEVER will be a full answer, a total solution (e.g. we will probably always have the poor, for example – not that we should not help the good poor, but perhaps a little honesty is in order). So we have selfish, expectations, combined with absolutely no respect for others, and then we add the next element that pretty much makes the situation explosive: poor execution (or no execution in some cases) of law and justice, corruption (often due to politicians) of law. I agree with the idea and facts that we need to enforce the laws on the books and not fixate on the discussion around hiding your make up kits! (I agree, even I did this mind set, and now I see that I might be an example of how some men think, and I apologize for that).

So my opinion is dharma is the answer, but I am also honest with myself in that, this will not be easy. How about my idea of more girls?

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste, Shivafan,

I don't believe that age of marriage has anything to do with the prevalence of rape - in India or elsewhere. There are terrible stories of the rape of children as young as a few years. It has to do with societal pressure, mental illness, a sickening desire to have power over someone and to humiliate them and as Arjuni stated, the "That's just the way it is" attitude that pervades society.

Rapists will rape regardless of the availability of "willing" partners. It has more to do with power and control than lust.

That being said, the solution is more complicated then I can offer, but one thought is this: The people who commit these crimes need to be exposed and treated as criminals. This is not "Boys being boys". With exposure, and pressure from the outside, people will learn that this behavior is not "just the way things are" and that there are very real and swift consequences. Also, as stated before, a more loving and accepting environment needs to be created in society so that victims can feel brave enough to come forward. They need to know that this experience does not lessen their value as human beings or make them unlovable.

I understand your points about the influence of the media, but I hesitate to put blame entirely on that. You may be right, I'm just not so sure yet.

Peace.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Deleted...
    Last edited by ShriBala; 05 April 2013 at 05:17 PM.

Namaste

I think I have found the answer from a Mahatma. He says “She was raped by people who do not represent India and any religion. They are evil characters like sociopaths, psychopaths, and the mentally unstable shooters and killers in any other country.” Also he points out that protests in India are emotional responses at the mob level to the growing lawlessness and disorder, and outlet for anger and frustration, but let me bold one interesting point of the savant: are a convenient means by which people publicly disown any personal responsibility (<<< ! this is so true and amazing, it did not occur to me!).

And he also says “if you elect the same people and expect different results, that is stupidity beyond description”. He adds, if we want the society to change, we must accept responsibility and stop looking to the government to initiate reforms.

My goodness – he is so correct! And as usual, he happens to be from India, and we need to learn so much from such a person!

Om Namah Sivaya</SPAN>

Namaste

Here is how it is being reported in USA on the AP wire via MSN (posted 12 hours ago):

http://news.msn.com/world/six-charge...ter-woman-dies

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Six charged with murder in India gang rape after woman dies

Police tightened security in New Delhi in anticipation of protests following the death of an Indian medical student whose gang rape has triggered demonstrations, outrage and mourning.

NEW DELHI — Indian police charged six men with murder Saturday, hours after a woman who was gang-raped and beaten on a bus in New Delhi nearly two weeks ago died in a Singapore hospital.

New Delhi police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said the six face the death penalty if convicted, in a case that has triggered protests across India for greater protection for women from sexual violence and raised questions about lax attitudes by police toward sexual crimes.

----------------------------------------------------

Om Namah Sivaya

There's been a new development here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2384725.html

Unfortunately the victim died. This is indeed a very sad case. I recently found out that she was only 23, and a medical student. This sort of thing is always bad, but I think it's especially unfortunate when people go and kill someone who's dedicated their life to healing.

Maybe it's just my being an ABCD for not getting this, so perhaps a real Indian can inform me here. Why the protests? I don't know that anyone in the right mind is in favor of gang-rape, so what exactly are the protesters petitioning the government to do? Stronger laws opposing violence against women?

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Talking about other countries/places is a mere distraction. The issue is why does it happen in the land where women are supposed to be worshiped. Why has our moral compass gone so haywire? How can we claim Hinduism's superiority when it too produces animals?

Pranam.
    Believer, just one important point I want to mention here. I don't think that any of the attackers acted in the name of Hinduism. So I don't think anyone could use this as an analog to, say, Christians producing animals who attack/convert Hindus in India.

No, this isn't "boys being boys." Boys don't rape.

Monsters do.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information