Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to eliminate fear?

Re: how to eliminate fear?

Thanks you Indiaspirituality for the links you have provided especially the Tattva Bodha. It s answering every question I can think off.

Thank you wundermonk for the explanation.

I am feeling very happy to be a part of this intellectually motivating forum!!
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Thanks you Indiaspirituality for the links you have provided especially the Tattva Bodha. It s answering every question I can think off.

Thank you wundermonk for the explanation.

I am feeling very happy to be a part of this intellectually motivating forum!!
    No problem

Just to make a note, I have edited my post 2 times and added parts after EDIT 1 and EDIT 2

Tatva Bodha is a very basic text. Adi Shankaracharya created it for new comers to familiarize them with advaita concepts.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

Fearsome situations can be categorized into 2:

1. Truly fearsome situations for any - such as encountering a Lion in a forest. Out of such situations, it is only the divine that can save us.

2. Psychological fears - such as stage fear. Upon introspection, it seems that these are always the bi-product of 'not knowing the unknown' factor. For example, we do not know what would happen while we are in the middle of our speech/play, will we forget our lines? Will the audience get agitated and give out a negative response? Will we faint?

So in anticipation of an adverse situation, if we give proper preparation in advance, such as practicing the speech many times before a small audience, having a back-up in case something undue should happen can help reduce our fears. Isn't a treatment method such as 'Selective exposure' practiced in psychotherapy to address psychological fears? It is a similar approach.

Lastly but not the least, boosting one's confidence level is a must in eliminating psychological fears. Maintaining an active lifestyle, having many friends and social gatherings, exercise, devotion and so forth - positive lifestyle changes might boost one's confidence level.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Anirudh wrote:

I found the way to eliminate the fear on the day of this Vaikunta Ekadasi. I fully believe Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu created certain situation in life which prompted me to dwell and as a result got the answer.

Who is Shree raama chandra Prabhu?
    AUM

Quote Originally Posted by Arjunesh View Post
    Anirudh wrote:

I found the way to eliminate the fear on the day of this Vaikunta Ekadasi. I fully believe Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu created certain situation in life which prompted me to dwell and as a result got the answer.

Who is Shree raama chandra Prabhu?
    Shree raama chandra Prabhu is the valourous king/diety and hero of the epic Ramayana, popularly referred to as Rama.

Pranam.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Shree raama chandra Prabhu is the valourous king/diety and hero of the epic Ramayana, popularly referred to as Rama.

Pranam.
    Thank you I only knew Rama but didnt know the full name.
    AUM

First of all, Arjunesh - your signature picture makes me shed tears.

Secondly, I find that self-inquiry is a good start to eliminating fear.

Ask yourself "what is it that I am afraid of?" and "why do I feel this way?" see if that fear has any basis to circumstance or if you just feel it for no reason at all.

Sometimes we seem to be gripped by fear without reason, like somebody walked over our graves or something, but that passes and you should try to let such fears just pass, as they will.

I am afraid of failure and 'not being good enough'. I have to let my self-standards (ego) slip a bit and yeah, I am really working on that, trust me. lol

I also fear dying (not death itself) and that's a big one, but I hope my Lord Shiva will lovingly guide me through that transition when the time comes.

...and I have my worldly fears, like cash flow crisis and threat of eviction coz I gotta live and eat.

Fear, for me, is not something I gotta 'eliminate' more than something I gotta learn how to live with.

Aum Namah Shivaya

For me is the easiest way Vipassana-meditation to get rid of fear.
    AUM

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    First of all, Arjunesh - your signature picture makes me shed tears.

Secondly, I find that self-inquiry is a good start to eliminating fear.

Ask yourself "what is it that I am afraid of?" and "why do I feel this way?" see if that fear has any basis to circumstance or if you just feel it for no reason at all.

Sometimes we seem to be gripped by fear without reason, like somebody walked over our graves or something, but that passes and you should try to let such fears just pass, as they will.

I am afraid of failure and 'not being good enough'. I have to let my self-standards (ego) slip a bit and yeah, I am really working on that, trust me. lol

I also fear dying (not death itself) and that's a big one, but I hope my Lord Shiva will lovingly guide me through that transition when the time comes.

...and I have my worldly fears, like cash flow crisis and threat of eviction coz I gotta live and eat.

Fear, for me, is not something I gotta 'eliminate' more than something I gotta learn how to live with.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    I dont know what you mean. I said I get rid of fear by vipassana - it means I have not much fear.
    AUM

Oh just the beautiful picture above my previous post. I was so taken with its beauty, I thought it was in your signature for a second there. Just an honest boo-boo. Sorry.

Anyway, the reason why I am revisiting this. It's because of an insight I had last night whilst answering a question about divine Vahanas.

Lord Ganesha's mount is a little mouse. For ages, I have wondered how Lord Ganesha can ride on a little mouse...aren't elephants 'sposed to be terrified of mice anyway?

Don't elephants think that mice will crawl up their trunks and suffocate them or something...?

Here we have Lord Ganesha sharing laddhus with the little critter...making friends with it. Making friends with his fear...if you pray to Lord Ganesha, he'll remove the obstacle of fear from your path.

Once fear becomes your 'friend', then you can use it as nature had intended, for survival and to do human things. It's only when it holds you back, is it a bad thing.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information