Thread: Hari Om

Hari Om

Namaste,
    I have been a student of Advaita for last ~5 years. I am a scientist in training and so want to see how Sanatana Dharma esp. Advaita Vedanta compares to science. I also like learning about other religions with as much of a critical mind as I learn the one I was born into. Wonderful to join a forum like this. I've been wanting to join an online forum like this for a while.
    Also, check out my profile on HuffPost... where I am quite active.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/the_analyzer

Hari Om
    -TA

Re: Hari Om

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.
    The link provided leads to something which states, "You must be friends with the analyzer to view this Social News profile". So, that is a no go for the profile.

Quote Originally Posted by the_analyzer View Post
    I also like learning about other religions with as much of a critical mind as I learn the one I was born into.
    It is indeed admirable to learn about other religions for academic purposes. But to experience SD, one needs to be a devotee. When something is learned with a critical scientific eye, the mind can skew things for or against it depending on the inherent psychological bend of the individual based on prior life experiences. The analysis of the infinite Divine is constrained by the limitations of the human mind. So, after learning the scriptures, a person could debate the contents from academic point of view without ever understanding their true essence or experiencing the divine within that tradition. To paraphrase a bumper sticker,

God: I gave you science to understand me not to contradict me.

Much love and blessings!

Pranam.

Hi Analyzer. I'm also a scientist (leaving the "in training" phase, though in science you should always be in training, I suppose). I was raised Hindu, but in the past few years I've become more interested in the relationship between Hinduism and science. So what's your field? Astrophysics here.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.
    The link provided leads to something which states, "You must be friends with the analyzer to view this Social News profile". So, that is a no go for the profile.

It is indeed admirable to learn about other religions for academic purposes. But to experience SD, one needs to be a devotee. When something is learned with a critical scientific eye, the mind can skew things for or against it depending on the inherent psychological bend of the individual based on prior life experiences. The analysis of the infinite Divine is constrained by the limitations of the human mind. So, after learning the scriptures, a person could debate the contents from academic point of view without ever understanding their true essence or experiencing the divine within that tradition. To paraphrase a bumper sticker,

God: I gave you science to understand me not to contradict me.

Much love and blessings!

Pranam.
    Oops. My bad about the link. I changed my preferences so the link should show my activity for everyone now.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I am doing research in Cell biology. Nice to meet you!

Thread Information