Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism and Diabetes

Question Vegetarianism and Diabetes

Namaste all,

I have an important question. It concerns vegetarianism - I honestly don't want to debate if being vegetarian is required to be a Hindu or not, but while I'm not vegetarian at present, I do want to make the switch when I am ready. There is one complication: I'm diabetic. Type 2.

Sadly, meat is one of the few foods out there that doesn't send my blood sugar into low orbit, I've discovered. I'm definitely not eating beef, so that's a start for me, but if I am to take vegetarianism any further than that, I'm going to need some help.

Another complication is that I'm a terrible cook. Anything more complicated than microwaving a TV dinner or boiling pasta and I always mess it up somehow.

So yeah, I'm kind of in a rut here...if anyone has any advice whatsoever, I'd love to hear it. Just remember, whatever you suggest has to be diabetic-friendly.

Re: Vegetarianism and Diabetes

Namaste, Webimpulse,

It's my opinion that if you have a medical condition that prevents you from practicing vegetarianism in a healthy way, the karmic impact would be lessened, if there at all. But I'm not an expert on vegetarianism or SD, so hopefully members with more information can be more helpful.

From what I've experienced from eating vegetarian lunches at Temple, plus trying to transition to vegetarianism myself - it is almost impossible to get rid of starches and carbohydrates. Dal and lentils are packed with lots of protein, but they are also extremely carby.

I even did a search once for "Low-Carb, vegetarian cookbooks" and came up empty handed. (I don't necessarily need low carb, but my husband wanted to do a low-carb diet which usually = lots of meat. )

I hope someone here can offer resources for you. Best of luck!

EDIT: I stand corrected. A new search on Amazon brings up a few cookbooks that claim to be aimed at vegetarians who are also trying to do low carbohydrate. I don't know how the recipes would stack up for someone with diabetes and I know you said you aren't a very good cook, but maybe you can become one with a little practice! =)

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carb-Veget.../dp/1570671672

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Low.../dp/0749926988

Last edited by Jodhaa; 30 December 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: I stand corrected!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste.

I think it depends on where you want to draw the line at not eating animal flesh for health's sake and trying to minimize himsa. You might try pesco-ovo-lacto, or even adding poultry, or just ovo-lacto, avoiding anything with hair or fur and mammary glands. Something that may keep your blood sugar and triglycerides under control (trigs. are a result of high carbs, not high fat in the diet) is the aforementioned pesco-ovo-lacto and lots of vegs. of different colors. Yes, it's pretty much a paleo type diet but without the mammal flesh and fat. I am not in any way suggesting that poultry and seafood are any less sentient, nor that they don't feel pain on being dispatched, but when there's a medical condition, you have to strike a balance. Remember that ahimsa also applies to us. I don't think God wants us to suffer and cause harm to our bodies.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namast,

I agree with the others who have posted so far. I follow a low-carb vegetarian diet, and while it can be hard sometimes, the benefits are well worth it. I'm not diabetic, but have been vegetarian for about a decade, and despite years of following the healthy, balanced diet with plenty of whole grains - just like the conventional wisdom prescribes - used to get trembly and confused after a few hours without eating. Keeping dairy, nuts, leafy greens, vegetables, and tart berries, while dropping all of the breads, cooked grains, and beans, has ended that problem (and also stopped digestive troubles, as an added benefit).

Besides Jodhaa's good recommendations, I would add to it Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades' Protein Power and The Protein Power Lifeplan, either or both of which are usually carried by public libraries, and are down-to-earth, everyday-language explanations of why this way of eating helps. Also, blogs are a fun resource - http://lowcarbwholefoodie.blogspot.ca/ hasn't been updated in a while but has some good recipes, for example.

Jainarayan makes a good point about personal suffering, and that you may want to consider a pesco-ovo-lacto lifestyle. Sadly, all of the brittle type 2 diabetics I know are vegetarians, and I wish I could get them to read some of the newer research about the effects of carbohydrate. Best wishes; you've asked a good and relevant question, and I hope that you receive many more replies that will help you, and any other diabetics who come to this thread seeking similar answers.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from Bāṣkalamantra Upaniṣad

Having diabetes should not hinder you to become vegetarian. Even after controlling for weight and activity levels, studies have shown that vegetarians have a lower risk of developing diabetes and other diseases associated with metabolic syndrome than omnivores.

A low carb approach can be helpful in the management of diabetes, but this is not necessarily the best approach. Carbohydrate rich plant foods are also rich sources of vitamins, minerals and other micro nutrients. The consumption of whole grains and legumes are in fact beneficial for diabetics as has been shown many times. We must not forget that protein is also insulinogenic and sometimes even more than straight glucose. There is no reason to fear carbohydrates, you should try to get a balance of all macro nutrients (carbs, protein, fat). I don't really believe in cutting out too many food groups from your diet. There is no single food that provides all the nutrients necessary for human beings. You should however, severely limit refined products and hydrogenated vegetable oils (transfats) from your diet.

If you decide to go vegetarian, it's advisable to take these three supplements:

-methyl-b12
    -vitamin D3 (2000 IU per day if you don't live in tropical climate where there is enough sunshine)
    -a micro algae based DHA/EPA supplement

Some interesting facts about vitamin b-12. Vitamin b-12 is not made by humans nor by animals. It's made by bacteria. The bacteria in your gut do make b12, but this is not absorbed, because it is too far down in the digestive system. The only way to get this b12 would be to consume your own feces, this is not recommended of course. Take a supplement instead. Vegetarians in India do not seem to have a deficiency in vitamin b-12, researchers suggests that this is because the bugs found in vegetables in India. One way vegetarians in the past used to get b-12 was from the drinking water with bacterial contamination. In our modern sanitized society we do not get any b-12 from bacteria contaminated water. Even though vitamin b12 is water soluble, our bodies are evolved to store vitamin b12 for longer periods. A 5000 g tablet each week should be sufficient. B-12 deficiency is not only found in vegetarians, most omnivores also have suboptimal levels of b-12 in their blood.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 04 January 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Namaste all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    methyl-b12
    Actually only vegans really need supplement of B-12.

Vegetarians who eat milk and/or egg have no need of it.

I started as lacto-ovo-vegetarian when I was about 14 or 15 years ago and now I am definitely lacto-vegetarian(as gaudiya-vaishnava,I am not allowed to eat eggs).
    I never took B-12 supplement in my life

Pranama,
    Orlando.

You would need to eat 200 eggs or several gallons of milk every day to get enough vitamin b-12.

Most omnivores are also deficient in b-12, it's probably best for most people to take a b-12 supplement.

It's better to be safe than sorry. Vitamin b-12 deficiency can cause irreversible neurological damage and b-12 supplements are inexpensive.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 03 January 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Namaste Sahasranama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    You would need to eat 200 eggs or several gallons of milk every day to get enough vitamin b-12.

Most omnivores are also deficient in b-12, it's probably best for most people to take a b-12 supplement.
    I hope you do not get offense about my following words: if what you said was true,that would imply that we westerns and you indians have a different physiology

In fact western doctors say that:
    -only vegans need to take supplement of B-12
    -vegetarian that eat milk and/or eggs already have enough B-12

Pranama,
    Orlando.
    Last edited by orlando; 03 January 2013 at 12:54 PM.

Most doctors know very little about nutrition, studies have shown that the average physician knows even less about nutrition than the average joe on the street. When your b-12 is in the low range of what is considered normal by doctors, you are at risk of developing complications related to b-12 deficiency, some of which can cause irreversible damage. I am not talking about having a different physiology, although some people have a harder time absorbing b-12 than others, but about environmental factors. There is more bacterial contamination in Indian water supply than in modern western countries. As India is modernising b-12 deficiency may also become a problem in India. Vegans do not get any vitamin b-12 from their diet (except from fortified foods), but any person living in a modern sanitized society who limits their consumption of animal products is gambling with their health if they don't take a b-12 supplement.

B12 Deficiency May Be More Widespread Than Thought:

Oddly, the researchers found no association between plasma B12 levels and meat, poultry, and fish intake, even though these foods supply the bulk of B12 in the diet. “It’s not because people aren’t eating enough meat,” Tucker said. “The vitamin isn’t getting absorbed. http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2000/000802.htm
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 03 January 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Namaste

I think high fructose corn syrup is killing millions of Westerners, causing an explosion in diabetes and other diseases. It is a sugar replacement found in sodas, and many foods today including bread.

Is it found in processed food in India?

I hate it. I also hate aluminum cans - I think they are causing Westerners big medical issues. Autism, other odd things are on the rise.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 05 January 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Thread Information