Thread: Language in Prayer

Language in Prayer

Vannakam,

As I was in contemplation one day an odd question came to my head.

Is there any one language one can pray in that is the most spiritually conducive?

While originally I leaned toward the ideal that sanskrit for my purposes would be ideal I began to ponder (my) idea of Brahman.

Brahman exists in perfect formlessness beyond the realm of thought and the senses. It knows no distinctions or dichotomies. So can prayers if prayed in a person's native language still be as powerful to Brahman than if they are spoken in the native tongues from whence they sprung (such as sanskrit). by my way of thinking if one were to say prayers in english with a fuller understanding of the meaning than opposed to sanskrit the devotee would still glean the ultimate benefits. But I cannot sa with any certainty of course.

This is a question I posit to you to discuss. I do not think there is a concrete answer, but it is still interesting to wonder about (for the record I do still pray in sanskrit)

Namaste

Re: Language in Prayer

I think ultimately, it's up to the individual and what language they feel connects them to the divine more. In my case, I'd say my native language of English because I have the most control over expression, meaning and wording than I do in any other language and even if I were to become a "native level" speaker of another language, I don't feel as though I would have the same level of control as I do over English.

Is there any one language one can pray in that is the most spiritually conducive?
    Namaste Eric ji,

I share my experience which works for me, hopefully it helps to address one part of the question you have raised.

As for as I am concerned prayer is an intense chat between me and the deity i love. So when I am praying I speak with him in Hindi which is my native tongue.

When I am chanting mantras I make it a point learn both in terms meaning and pronunciation to my satisfaction.

To me it s highly important to understand what I am chanting and at the same time respect the language in which it was originally written. Relying on translated text without the original sacred doesn't help in this case. It s better to learn the language or at least the meaning of the words that were used in that portion of the mantra you are chanting. It s like to adding specific ingredients in specific quantity at a specific time as per the recipe to get the desired output in cooking. Because I believe that by chanting mantras I am invoking HIM by following predesignated method.

Now a days, singers and lyricist write/sing devotional songs which resemble Indian movie songs. Few of them are very catchy and you may find peace listening to them. So you ll have to differentiate between sacred hymns and the other types of devotional songs you ll find in you tube or from other media.

Hope other esteemed members who are blessed with greater spiritual insight will give you better and succinct reply.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Eric,

I always pray the mantras which are Sanskrit language except when I speak to deites, I'll speak Thai to them. (Thai langauge is my native language)
    When I chant the mantras to deites. I chant and recognize what is the meaning of this mantras. The mantras has meaning to praise them exactly.

So my method is chanting in Sanskrit and recognize the meaning of the mantras to praise the deities. That means, we have to know the meaning of this mantra and chant to them from your spiritual. That makes I feel worth.

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti~~

Quote Originally Posted by Eric11235 View Post
    Vannakam,

As I was in contemplation one day an odd question came to my head.

While originally I leaned toward the ideal that sanskrit for my purposes would be ideal I began to ponder (my) idea of Brahman.

Brahman exists in perfect formlessness beyond the realm of thought and the senses. It knows no distinctions or dichotomies. So can prayers if prayed in a person's native language still be as powerful to Brahman than if they are spoken in the native tongues from whence they sprung (such as sanskrit). by my way of thinking if one were to say prayers in english with a fuller understanding of the meaning than opposed to sanskrit the devotee would still glean the ultimate benefits. But I cannot sa with any certainty of course.

This is a question I posit to you to discuss. I do not think there is a concrete answer, but it is still interesting to wonder about (for the record I do still pray in sanskrit)

Namaste
    Namaste,

Mother tongue is the best language that suits you since God gave you birth in that language speaking family.

It comes straight from the heart. Also you should read scriptures in your mother tongue. The first spontaneous reaction is in mother tongue. When you realize something say your irritation or anger, and then that that pray God to remove or take away irritation and anger, then it is most powerful.

Sanskrit is powerful and is called the language of Gods. It is the second language in which you communicate. It is very potent language.

What is important is to communicate and Sanskrit is no longer mother tongue and freely and widely spoken day-2-day language except one or 2 villages in India.

What is more important is to understand the meaning of what you are saying or reading. Parroting is of less help.

Most noted saint singers used to sings glories of God in their mother tongue. They are later translated into different languages (if they get popular). Mother tongue comes straight from heart. When I communicate, then I think in my mother tongue and then translate it in English. Though I can speak in English, I am more comfortable with my mother tongue.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Sound is energy, any sound. Think of the high frequency sound weapons militaries are developing. That sound packs a wallop of energy. Anyway, I think God is beyond language.
    The philosophy of the Indian Classical Music took its origin from the concept of Nada Brahma..

..which means that the whole universe was created from the energy of sound - it's only the sound that exists in the beginning. Nada Brahma
    However, I think for mantras and anything liturgical or Vedic, the best Sanskrit you can muster is the best. See, I can't quite get my head around "I bow to You Narayana" v. Om namo Nārāyanāya while doing japa.

I say other prayers in English. I have a few books with prayers in Sanskrit w/English translations, but they just don't have the ring for communicating with God that my English does. Besides, I can't speak Sanskrit to be able to chat with God off the top of my head.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I spent years studying Sanskrit and mantras (English is my native language).

Yes, Mantras have very powerful vibrations and are a very good way to invoke the Holy Name.

However, sometimes it just goes beyond that when I pray. I'll start off in Sanskrit, but when the emotions take over, I'll revert back to English, because that's the best way I know to say how I feel.

If I could find a Sanskrit, or even English words to use, I would...but my 'mother tongue' is always the best for me. I really believe that God doesn't care.

Aum Namah Shivaya OR 'I love you dearly, Lord Shiva'...makes no difference.

Whatever language works for you.

When comunally, or reciting official texts, official prayers, mantras, shlokas, stotrams, etc. Sanskrit (or whatever the official ancient language it may be) is best.

If for private devotions, one could be reciting Vedic prayers by reciting and/or memorising them via a translation in your native language.

And if all else fails, just offer your heart to Sri Bhagavan, and Sri Bhagavan will take that into account.

"To those devotees who are always lovingly engaged in My service, I give the divine inspiration by which they can come to Me."
    -- Srimad Bhagavad-gita 10.10

Good luck!

Namaste

Lord Hanuman can speak many languages, including Sanskrit and Tamil, but many, many more. Don't be surprised if one day He speaks to you in your language if you speak to Him in yours. And Krishna's flute speaks a language which isn't a tongue but a musical sound. You do not need to study that language to understand it. Shiva spoke to the animals, and He is the Lord of Beasts and He listens to them when they speak or pray to Him. The Devas and Devi listen to your prayers, your songs and bhajans, just as they listen to every bird. You are heard, you can hear them, yes?

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information