Thread: Sri Mahamariamman Temple of Bangkok,Thailand

Sri Mahamariamman Temple of Bangkok,Thailand

Namaste everyone.

You maybe heard the Mariamman temple in many places such as in Singapore and Malaysia. So this is Mariamman Temple in Thailand
    In Thai name we call "Wat phraseeumathewi" or local name call "Wat khek silom" It is located in Sliom district of Bangkok; captial of Thailand. This temple has main deity is Lord Mariamman or Lord Uma. They also have many deites to worship included Lord Shiva, Lord Vishu, Lord Kirshna, Lord Hanuman, Lord Buddha, Lord Saraswati, Lord Laksmi, Lord Kali, Lord Durga and Lord Ganesh. The temple is Tamil stye. The Brahmins are from Tamil Nadu, India. They can speak Tamil, English and some of them can speak Thai too.

How can I go?
    You can take BTS[Skytrain] to Saladang station or MRT[underground train] to Silom station. And then call Mortorcycle taxi or take the public bus line 77, 115, 504 and say to them that I want to go to Wat kheak Silom

This is more information about this temple. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariamman_Temple,_Bangkok

This is temple website.
    http://srimahamariammantemplebangkok.com/

This is the photo that I have taken. sorry for not beautiful photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Sri Mahamariamman Temple of Bangkok,Thailand

Namaste Jeff08
    Very nice to know about Sri Mariamman Temple in Bangkok.
    In Hinduism,male deitys may be equated to Lord like Lord Shiva,Lord Vishnu ,Lord Ganesh,Lord Murugan,Lord Brahma etc. Female deitys addressed as Devi or Goddess like Goddess Saraswathi,Goddess Lakshmi,Goddess Durga.

Quote Originally Posted by sanatana View Post
    Namaste Jeff08
    Very nice to know about Sri Mariamman Temple in Bangkok.
    In Hinduism,male deitys may be equated to Lord like Lord Shiva,Lord Vishnu ,Lord Ganesh,Lord Murugan,Lord Brahma etc. Female deitys addressed as Devi or Goddess like Goddess Saraswathi,Goddess Lakshmi,Goddess Durga.
    Namaste sanatana,
    This temple is very nice for me. They have many festivals for worshipping almost deities in the temple. Such as, Navrathi, Shivarathi, Ganesh Chatulathi, Krishna Chayanti, and etc. So that means Hinduism gives female deity equal to male deity as well. I agree wth you!

Vannakkam Jeff

I'm down south in KL. I must mention that I've always been proud and love the fact that an abundance of Hindu influence can still be found in all native Southeast Asian cultures, due to the ancient Hindu and Buddhist kingdoms that once flourished here. They were some of the most powerful empires of their time.

While this temple and many other Mariamman temples all over this subregion were built by recent immigrants from India, it's interesting to realise the amount of Hindu elements and influence that have already been imprinted in the cultures and lifestyles of the natives themselves, which have survived for centuries or even a millenium. The Malays, Indonesians, Thais and other Indo-Chinese cultures have always maintained these Hindu roots too, especially in weddings, food habits and royal ceremonies, even though they embraced other religions later. It's amazing.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

A friend in Phuket was just recently telling me about mandirs in Thailand
    Thank you to Jeff08 for the post- and to Equinox, for saying what I had been
    thinking

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Vannakkam Jeff

I'm down south in KL. I must mention that I've always been proud and love the fact that an abundance of Hindu influence can still be found in all native Southeast Asian cultures, due to the ancient Hindu and Buddhist kingdoms that once flourished here. They were some of the most powerful empires of their time.

While this temple and many other Mariamman temples all over this subregion were built by recent immigrants from India, it's interesting to realise the amount of Hindu elements and influence that have already been imprinted in the cultures and lifestyles of the natives themselves, which have survived for centuries or even a millenium. The Malays, Indonesians, Thais and other Indo-Chinese cultures have always maintained these Hindu roots too, especially in weddings, food habits and royal ceremonies, even though they embraced other religions later. It's amazing.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Vannakkam Equinox,

Southeast Asian calture is really graceful and beautiful. I would say the hindu root is very strong. They have effected in southeast asia calture. Example, in Thai caltures have home puja and car puja. Even they invite the monk for these ceremony because approx 90% of Thais are Buddhist. But this calture never disappear in Thai social and calture which is hindu root.

Thank you for your apprecation sir

Namaste,

A friend in Phuket was just recently telling me about mandirs in Thailand
    Thank you to Jeff08 for the post- and to Equinox, for saying what I had been
    thinking

JAI MATA DI
    Namaste JaiMaaDurga,

Phuket also has the mandir! This temple is my regular temple. I love to visit here. Even the temple is far from my home around 30 kms but I still like to go here. Luckily that they have metro available. This temple is Tamil style so this is my personal favorite style.

We also have the temple which is Northern India style in Bangkok. It's not far from this temple. The name is Vishnu Temple

http://www.vishnutemplebangkok.org/
    http://www.siamganesh.com/vishnutemple.html[sorry for Thai language review]

I will visit here too if I have a chance
    Last edited by Jeff08; 06 January 2013 at 02:58 AM.

Vannakkam Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff08 View Post
    Southeast Asian calture is really graceful and beautiful. I would say the hindu root is very strong. They have effected in southeast asia calture. Example, in Thai caltures have home puja and car puja. Even they invite the monk for these ceremony because approx 90% of Thais are Buddhist. But this calture never disappear in Thai social and calture which is hindu root.
    Yes. Even the music, dances, festivals, traditional games, languages and place names have Hindu roots. For example, your neighbouring country, Laos, and the city of Lopburi in your own country were both named after Lava, a son of Rama and Sita.

Most if not all Southeast Asian languages have Sanskrit words. Being very fluent in the Malay language myself, I would say that up to 50% of the language comes from Sanskrit, and to a smaller extent, Tamil. The rest mostly come from Indonesian(which in turn comes from Sanskrit mostly), English and Arabic. But Sanskrit is no doubt the biggest contributor.

Though the Balinese (themselves descendants of fleeing Javanese Hindus) and a few rural Indonesian pockets are the only ones of all the Southeast Asian native communities who still remain Hindu, it is suffice to conclude that the Indochinese, especially Thais, are almost completely Hindu too, even though they're Buddhists. The gracefulness you mentioned of in these cultures have a strong, unmistaken Hindu influence to them.

I holidayed in Hat Yai and Songkhla in Southern Thailand 2 years ago. Love the place.

Here's an interesting website I found and bookmarked about Hindu and Tamil influence in Thai culture that might be of interest to you:

http://tamilnation.co/conferences/cn...hisundaram.htm

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Equinox; 10 January 2013 at 12:19 AM.

Namaste Equinox

Wow, fantastic info and captivating link! Tamils have contributed to world culture, no question about it.

Namaste Jeff

I have been to Thailand many times, and I agree with Equinox in regards to the facts regarding Hinduism color to Thai cultural identity. Bt the way, you have a very powerful shrine in your home that through it's simple way speaks volumes. Also thank you for sharing this information on the Sri Mahamariamman Temple in Bangkok.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Vannakkam Jeff

Yes. Even the music, dances, festivals, traditional games, languages and place names have Hindu roots. For example, your neighbouring country, Laos, and the city of Lopburi in your own country were both named after Lava, a son of Rama and Sita.

Most if not all Southeast Asian languages have Sanskrit words. Being very fluent in the Malay language myself, I would say that up to 50% of the language comes from Sanskrit, and to a smaller extent, Tamil. The rest mostly come from Indonesian(which in turn comes from Sanskrit mostly), English and Arabic. But Sanskrit is no doubt the biggest contributor.

Though the Balinese (themselves descendants of fleeing Javanese Hindus) and a few rural Indonesian pockets are the only ones of all the Southeast Asian native communities who still remain Hindu, it is suffice to conclude that the Indochinese, especially Thais, are almost completely Hindu too, even though they're Buddhists. The gracefulness you mentioned of in these cultures have a strong, unmistaken Hindu influence to them.

I holidayed in Hat Yai and Songkhla in Southern Thailand 2 years ago. Love the place.

Here's an interesting website I found and bookmarked about Hindu and Tamil influence in Thai culture that might be of interest to you:

http://tamilnation.co/conferences/cn...hisundaram.htm

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Exactly,the Sanskrit word is also included in Thai language till sometimes we cannot separate what is Sanskrit word or Thai native word? Even my first name is from Sanskrit language anyway. That also means almost Thai roots is from Hindu calture strongly.

And thank you for your useful link which is very good of information about Tamil influence in Thai calture. The Triuppavai will start for ceremony soon in Bangkok. I think that will be next week!

Namaste Equinox

Wow, fantastic info and captivating link! Tamils have contributed to world culture, no question about it.

Namaste Jeff

I have been to Thailand many times, and I agree with Equinox in regards to the facts regarding Hinduism color to Thai cultural identity. Bt the way, you have a very powerful shrine in your home that through it's simple way speaks volumes. Also thank you for sharing this information on the Sri Mahamariamman Temple in Bangkok.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Vannakkam ShivaFan,
    My shirne is simply but I really love this one. The deites idol are not expensive because I am youth now. I love to chant the mantras, make the puja, meditate and I usually sit in front of the shrine with calmly to close with them.
    Thank you for your appreciation!

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

Thread Information