Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balittha Sukta

Balittha Sukta

This sukta (Rig Veda 1.141) has been quoted by Madhvacharya in support of himself being an avatar of vayu -

http://nitaaiveda.com/All_Scriptures...adhvacarya.htm

http://www.dvaita.org/madhva/AnandaT_2.html

While it makes for interesting reading, I am not sure I accapt this claim. What do you think?
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Re: Balittha Sukta

When a merchant's ship carrying sandalwood is caught in the turbulent sea storm and is about to sink, Sri Madhwa's siddhi enables him to quieten the storm and the winds for the ship to sail safely. Thereupon the captain of the ship gives Sri Madhwa a big blog of sandalwood that contains the idol (swayambu) of Sri Udupi Krishna. This is often cited as an example to show Sri Madhwa's ability to control the 5 ethereal elements and hence Sri Madhwa to be an avatara.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Aspirant,

This is often cited as an example to show Sri Madhwa's ability to control the 5 ethereal elements and hence Sri Madhwa to be an avatara.
    Could you share some reference point to know more about the above statement.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Omkara,

A warm greetings to you. I am unable to access the link you had provided. Could you verify the same,

Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Aspirant,

Could you share some reference point to know more about the above statement.
    Sorry, that is from memory only. Everywhere I remember to have read Madhwa's katha, this incident is said to firmly point out he is amsa of Vayu.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

that is from memory only.
    Never mind. In the last few days was learning more about the life history of Shree Raamaanujachaarya, so when I saw something relevant made that question.

I love to read about anything that has connection to Shreeman Naaraayan, . I am doing this study to enlighten misguided youths of our country who don't have answers to venom spewed by anti national elements under the garb of peace.

PS: Moderator accept my sincere apologies if i have broken the rules by mentioning or giving unnecessary attention to Anti Hindus
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Omkara,

A warm greetings to you. I am unable to access the link you had provided. Could you verify the same,
    I had bookmarked the link long ago. Looks like it doesn't work anymore. I could not find an alternate link.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

I find it hard to accept the claim. But, I don't hesitate to add that I am a seeker and would not presume to be qualified to offer either a meaningful rebuttal or meaningful acceptance of the claim.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Madhva's were are very good at cooking up fake hagiography to show superiority of their saints as much as twisting sententences of shruti. But apparant dialectics seems apealing to some. As such i won't trust anythjng madhvas have to say, vigorous twist and shake of shruti notwithstanding. Fortunately, i have nothing to with the shrutis either, so anada tirtha being avatar of vayu or hanuman's tail is worth less than dingo's kindneys for me. But those who have to swear by shrutis must have to work hard to overcome his sinister but difficult challenge.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

But seriously Twilight, tell us how you really feel..
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information