Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on TV serial 'Devon Ki Dev Mahadev'

Question on TV serial 'Devon Ki Dev Mahadev'

This is a fantastic serial on Shiva story - I'm watching the Tamil version of it on TV everyday and right now, it is still at the point Lord Shiva is having second-thoughts on associating with Sati.

In the story, owing to Shiva's undue hesitation to accept her love, Sati takes to self-pity and decides she is not worthy of marrying Shiva. Her father, Daksha Prajapathi, in the meantime, arranges for her marriage to one so-called 'Shadveeshan' son of sage Angiras.

Is this detail correct as per Shiva purana? Also, Shiva is shown here as having so much hesitation to marry Sati although he repeatedly says she is his other-half and thus she belongs to him. Daksha Prajapathi, on Sati's staunch affinity for Shiva, even prepares for a 'jala samadhi' with his wife, Prasuthi. This is why Sati gives up her affinity for Shiva and agrees to marry anyone her father points to her.

I am wondering if these details are as per actual Shiva purana - just a simple curiosity.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Question on TV serial 'Devon Ki Dev Mahadev'

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    This is a fantastic serial on Shiva story - I'm watching the Tamil version of it on TV everyday and right now, it is still at the point Lord Shiva is having second-thoughts on associating with Sati.

In the story, owing to Shiva's undue hesitation to accept her love, Sati takes to self-pity and decides she is not worthy of marrying Shiva. Her father, Daksha Prajapathi, in the meantime, arranges for her marriage to one so-called 'Shadveeshan' son of sage Angiras.

Is this detail correct as per Shiva purana? Also, Shiva is shown here as having so much hesitation to marry Sati although he repeatedly says she is his other-half and thus she belongs to him. Daksha Prajapathi, on Sati's staunch affinity for Shiva, even prepares for a 'jala samadhi' with his wife, Prasuthi. This is why Sati gives up her affinity for Shiva and agrees to marry anyone her father points to her.

I am wondering if these details are as per actual Shiva purana - just a simple curiosity.
    Namaste.
    I am glad somebody brought this up. I watch the English version with subtitles because my Hindi is very rusty atm. I catch one word in every 5. lol

I only just started watching this for amusement purposes when bored as an alternative to watching western TV soap operas. I mean, I am still keeping some kind of conscious awareness on it anyway.

Put it this way, that TV series is a very 'rough' interpretation of the Shiva Puran. All the basic stories and parables are there, but jazzed up to suit a Bollywood audience. It makes me laugh in places about the total overracting and the really lame special effects. lol

As for your question. Lord Shiva puts Sati Ma through many tests to see if her devotion is deep enough to become his consort.

If I recall correctly (from memory), the story goes something like this:

Lord Daksha was having a big Puja and feast and all the Gods were invited...all except Shiva Bhagwan, who Daksha saw as nothing but an 'unclean demon' and was unfit to marry his daughter.

Sati pleaaded with him, but he remained indignant. Then as Daksha was making sacrifices to Lord Brahma and Vishnu, Sati Ma acted on impulse and threw herself into the sacrificial fire in the name of Lord Shiva to finally become one with him on the Spiritual plane.

Then, of course, this happens:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jTf36EZbDI

...and we know the rest.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Nah.... I went back to watching the old 'Om Namah Shivaya' series (I watched it once many years ago). It's way more 'authentic', but Narada Muni is just so annoying in that series. They portray him as a real 'poo-stirrer'...'Narayan Narayan'. lolz

I am up to the part about the hunter sitting in a tree because he's lost and scared and performing ShivLing Puja with Bilva leaves unknowingly....and the memories of the Shiv Puran all come flooding back to me in one swoop ..

Aum Namah Shivaya

Necromancer,

You can find the actual thread discussing this great serial here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=9460.

I checked with someone I know, he said this serial uses actual events, but since actual events are brief, for the purpose of telecasting, imaginary details have been added - that details like Daksha preparing for death in water, forcing Sati to marry son of Angiras are not stated in Shiva purana. But this is so interesting, right? Whether these finer details are imaginary or not, my interest in the serial is not lost.

Namasté,

Aspirant, I don't recall ever reading that particular detail anywhere, about Devī Satī dejectedly agreeing to marry someone else, nor do I believe Sage Angiras had a son by that name; I haven't read the Śiva Purāṇa, but the idea that Satī would feel 'unworthy' and change her mind, even temporarily, seems strange to me. I always had the impression that she performed tapas to strengthen her mind and body for the rigours of asceticism, and that it was a necessary step to prepare for her life with Śiva.

but Narada Muni is just so annoying in that series. They portray him as a real 'poo-stirrer'...'Narayan Narayan'. lolz
    Are you kidding!? Sandeep Mehta elevated Narayan, Narayan! to an art form in that show; he's the only actor that didn't annoy me in the role, haha!
    As for the mischief, well, watching him constantly needle the Devatās, and poke his nose into everything, was one of the most delightful aspects of the whole series.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Quote Originally Posted by Arjunī View Post
    Namasté,

that Satī would feel 'unworthy' and change her mind, even temporarily, seems strange to me. I always had the impression that she performed tapas to strengthen her mind and body for the rigours of asceticism, and that it was a necessary step to prepare for her life with Śiva.[/FONT]
    Well said, Arjuni. I feel the same. Somehow the misery of Sati in the series is overwhelming. Her challenges against marrying Shiva not only comes from Daksha but also from Shiva himself, I wonder if the serial is ever going to portray a Shiva-Sati marriage...?! I would have really loved it, if, as you said, Sati went out of her house and did some austerities, etc.. but then the show can't broadcast this event for that long, ain't?

but Narada Muni is just so annoying in that series. They portray him as a real 'poo-stirrer'...'Narayan Narayan'. lolz
    Are you kidding!? Sandeep Mehta elevated Narayan, Narayan! to an art form in that show; he's the only actor that didn't annoy me in the role, haha!
    As for the mischief, well, watching him constantly needle the Devatās, and poke his nose into everything, was one of the most delightful aspects of the whole series.
    Doesn't Narada look chubby and not so saintly? But good actor though! He expresses sincerity in his addresses to Vishnu and Shiva, both! (I don't think Lakshmi is very pretty...).

Quote Originally Posted by Arjunī View Post
    Namasté,

Aspirant, I don't recall ever reading that particular detail anywhere, about Devī Satī dejectedly agreeing to marry someone else, nor do I believe Sage Angiras had a son by that name; I haven't read the Śiva Purāṇa, but the idea that Satī would feel 'unworthy' and change her mind, even temporarily, seems strange to me. I always had the impression that she performed tapas to strengthen her mind and body for the rigours of asceticism, and that it was a necessary step to prepare for her life with Śiva.

Yeap, that's what everybody else used to say as well. I just couldn't appreciate this as much as you all can, but indeed, he's the 'narrator' throughout the whole series anyway so we just can't ignore him, can we? Narayan, Narayan! *it was a 'standing joke' for quite a while there though. =)

As for your first paragraph, you are correct there. They did embelish it a lot and I haven't any recollection of any of that either.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Doesn't Narada look chubby and not so saintly? But good actor though! He expresses sincerity in his addresses to Vishnu and Shiva, both! (I don't think Lakshmi is very pretty...).
    I agree!!
    Lord Shiva looks more like Lord Shiva though, if Lord Shiva was to look like Lord Shiva and not be Lord Shiva...I better go now. lolz

Vanakkam,

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.
    I am glad somebody brought this up. I watch the English version with subtitles because my Hindi is very rusty atm. I catch one word in every 5. lo

Aum Namah Shivaya

Sorry if I go a little off subject, but it's been forever that I am looking for an english version !! :'0 Can you please tell me or link me where I can watch this great serial with subtitles ?

Thank you !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Namaste.

My apologies. I have only found 4-5 minute snippets of a few episodes with English Subtitles myself and not the full thing and I had to search for ages on Youtube for them anyway.

I wish you luck with this.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information