Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living a good life

Living a good life

I'm doing some self-exploration and decided to write a life mission statement. While looking for inspiration to write one, I came across one statement that resonated with me but also got me thinking.

The statement is "seek and merit divine guidance"

Seeking seems obvious to me - praying, meditating, attempting to connect with god.

But what behavior (including thoughts) merit divine guidance?

Living and growing up in NY, I have more judeo christian examples but was wondering what hindu take is on this.

Any thoughts?

Re: Living a good life

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyheart View Post
    I'm doing some self-exploration and decided to write a life mission statement. While looking for inspiration to write one, I came across one statement that resonated with me but also got me thinking.

The statement is "seek and merit divine guidance"

Seeking seems obvious to me - praying, meditating, attempting to connect with god.

Living and growing up in NY, I have more judeo christian examples but was wondering what hindu take is on this.

Any thoughts?
    You answered yourself:

By praying, meditating, attempting to connect with god merit divine guidance

You can ask for divine guidance in prayer.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyheart View Post
    Taking roughly from Hindu Yama and Niyama and Buddhist Precepts and Perfections, and the Noble Eightfold Path (all of which overlap to a large degree):
    • Nonviolence. Abstinence from injury that arises out of love for all, harmlessness, the not causing of pain to any living creature in thought, word, or deed at any time.
    • Truthfulness, word and thought in conformity with the facts, honesty.
    • Non-stealing, non-coveting, non-entering into debt.
    • Being constantly aware of the universe, immersed in divinity, divine conduct, continence, celibate when single, faithfulness when married.
    • Patience, releasing time, functioning in the now.
    • Steadfastness, overcoming non-perseverance, fear, and indecision; seeing each task through to completion.
    • Compassion; conquering callous, cruel and insensitive feelings toward all beings.
    • Honesty, straightforwardness, renouncing deception and wrongdoing.
    • Moderate appetite, neither eating too much nor too little; nor consuming meat, fish, shellfish, fowl or eggs.
    • Purity, avoidance of impurity in body, mind and speech.
    • Generosity, giving of oneself.
    • Virtue, morality, proper conduct.
    • Renunciation.
    • Transcendental wisdom, insight.
    • Energy, diligence, vigour, effort.
    • Patience, tolerance, forbearance, acceptance, endurance.
    • Truthfulness, honesty.
    • Determination, resolution.
    • Loving-kindness.
    • Equanimity, serenity.
    It's a long list that has repetition and overlapping, and at least one, non-entering into debt is almost impossible nowadays, but attempting to practice these, I think, will gain divine guidance and help
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

May I add some more: good karma, service, Forgiveness, donations, etc create more sattva Guna.

More the sattva Guna, more pure is mind and so it can perceive divine guidance. So any sattvik activity will be helpful to create a pure mind.

Sattvik qualities are described by Jainarayan.

According to Gita, chapter 16 and 17, there are 21 milestones for ones spiritual progress and describes of 21 qualities.

Daivi sampatti (Divine qualities / Sattvik Gunas):

1. abhayam (fearlesness),

2. Sattvasanshuddi (purity of heart),

3. Jnana Yog (steadfastness in Self- Knowledge and strong faith in dharma)

4. Daan (Alms giving)

5. Dama (control / watch over senses)

6. Yagya (sacrifice)

7. Svadhyaaya ( knowledge of Brahman from Self Study of scriptures giving brahma Jnana)

8. Tapa (austerities, dissolving of ego into SELF)

9. Arjavam (guileless or straight forward nature of mind),

10. Ahinsa (Harmlessness),

11. Satya (Truth)

12. Akrodha (absence of anger)

13. Tyaga (renounciation)

14. Shanti (peace of mindd - chitta)

15. Apaishunam (absence of crookedness)

16. & 17 Bhuteshu daya (compassion to beings - all forms of lifes)

18. Aloluptvam (non-covetousness or absence of desires to obtain objects of the world

19. Mardavam (gentleness / humbleness)

20. Hrih (modesty)

21. Achaapalam (absence of fickle-ness)

Asuri Sampatti (Animal qualities / lower qualities):

1. Dambh (Hypocrisy),

2. Darbha (pride)

4. Abhimaan (ego)

5. Krodha (anger),

6. Abhimana (Ego / covertness)

7. Paarushyam (talking in rough language - harshness).

8. Agyanam (Ignorance)

Source

EDIT:

In short, the more you spend time with God and spiritual activities, mind purifies. Pure mind will be able to tune into cosmic intelligence and can receive intuitions
    Last edited by Amrut; 07 January 2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added Last line

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Namaste Jainarayan, Indiaspirituality,

I'm impressed by your replies, the list of good qualities seems to come directly from your heart!

I'm touching on an important question here: we find that 'shadripus' or 6-fold bad qualities afflict most humans, which is why we incarnate on earth for betterment. Given the shortcomings, what is one to do with what one has? For example, one may be afflicted by cowardice, my bad trait, for example, is 'anger' and so forth - many people simply hide their bad traits and unleash it on those who think they are 'vulnerable' - how to live with one or more bad traits? Obviously one cannot show it. How is one supposed to react, for example, if possessed with anger? Remain silent/walk away, show it and face consequences? What is one supposed to do, having one or more bad qualities, but still spiritual, to remain 'sattvic' and to ascend spiritually?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality View Post
    More the sattva Guna, more pure is mind and so it can perceive divine guidance. So any sattvik activity will be helpful to create a pure mind.
    Thanks for adding that point. Cultivate a pure mind and you perceive the divine guidance, perceiving the divine guidance reinforces the pure mind which further perceives the divine guidance. It's a catch-22, in a good way; it feeds on itself.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Namaste Jainarayan, Indiaspirituality,

I'm impressed by your replies, the list of good qualities seems to come directly from your heart!
    I can only speak for myself by saying that even though it's in my heart, it doesn't always reflect on the outside. That's the struggle!

For example, one may be afflicted by cowardice, my bad trait, for example, is 'anger' and so forth - many people simply hide their bad traits and unleash it on those who think they are 'vulnerable' - how to live with one or more bad traits? Obviously one cannot show it. How is one supposed to react, for example, if possessed with anger? Remain silent/walk away, show it and face consequences? What is one supposed to do, having one or more bad qualities, but still spiritual, to remain 'sattvic' and to ascend spiritually?
    Anger is something I've battled for years. But anger for the right reason is not a bad thing. The anger at seeing a child, animal or elderly person abused, or someone otherwise victimized, and moves you to do something to help the victim is not bad. Depending on how the anger is directed at the aggressor could be good or bad.

Anger at being cut off on the road while driving is not an example of good anger. Believe me, this is something with which I have much experience. I'm infinitely better at it now because I fight it, and realize there will always be people who do stupid things. They don't set out to deliberately piss me off (though sometimes I wonder ). God loves them too, and is within them (some days that's harder to remember than others).

Don't think this is a day at the beach or walk in the park... it certainly is not easy. If it were, we'd all be saints and I sure am not. For me, I try to remember Bhagavad Gita 12.13-15; I have it printed to keep in a few places where I'll see it:

One who is not envious but who is a kind friend to all living entities, who does not think himself a proprietor*, who is free from false ego and equal both in happiness and distress, who is always satisfied and engaged in devotional service with determination and whose mind and intelligence are in agreement with Me-he is very dear to Me. He for whom no one is put into difficulty and who is not disturbed by anxiety, who is steady in happiness and distress, is very dear to Me.

*[entitled to special rights]

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post

Anger at being cut off on the road while driving is not an example of good anger. Believe me, this is something with which I have much experience.
    Same here, Jai-ji! I'm not an I-the-great person. But if I see the "I-the-great", I tend to get irritated and act on that! But, this is so wrong, because many times we go by mere perceptions, and make incorrect judgements. This is where my question arises, what do people of real sattvic disposition perceive? Not the "I-ness" I think! I think they go with the attitude of "That's the way things are!" and remain quiet. I'm trying to practice this in my day-to-day! Hope I will master it sometime! Remembering a holy text is a good idea.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thank you for some wonderful and thoughtful replies.

I grew up hindu with just enough understanding of basic stories and mandir etiquette but no real knowledge of actual precepts of the religion. I am trying to learn more about the basics and this forum has been very helpful thanks to all of you who share your knowledge.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    Namaste.

Thanks for adding that point. Cultivate a pure mind and you perceive the divine guidance, perceiving the divine guidance reinforces the pure mind which further perceives the divine guidance. It's a catch-22, in a good way; it feeds on itself.
    Namaste,

Yes, both help each other. They grow simultaneously.

Thread Information