Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensory Illusion and Ajna Chakra Activation

Sensory Illusion and Ajna Chakra Activation

Pranams.

During the past few weeks, I have been studying about how the known, illusory universe 'Maya' reflects very the nature of the Supreme Soul within it.

We realise that all matter is an illusion and light has the ability to travel both as a particle and as a wave, but let's take it one step further....to the glorious world of fractals and complex geometry...gazing into projections of the Mandelbrot Set and seeing nothing but the original Mandlebrot Set no matter how close one zooms in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_GBwuYuOOs

ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदं पूर्णात्पुर्णमुदच्यते
    पूर्णश्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ॥
    ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

There are many wonderful 'visual illusions' that trick our minds into thinking something is there or something is happening when it really isn't. You must have seen things like these:

http://www.oocities.org/tim_ph/illusion/blackdots.jpg
    http://www.sciencebob.com/graphics/3512883.jpg

*I like to perform Tratak on that last image.

I have taken 'visual illusions' to the extreme and I am using them as meditation tools (when I am not meditating on my Lord Shiva). I see things like the Fibonacci Code underlying all matter in the Universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGeOWYOFoA

Yes, I meditate in 'Geek'. lol

Last week, I heard my very first audio illusion. These things don't just affect the eyes, guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugriWSmRxcM

I have also heard the 'radio' coming from my fan. I thought I was crazy, but it's only my brain 'filling in' white noise. I'm probably still crazy though. =)

The brain can easily be tricked by illusory things and even though there's always a 'scientific explanation' for why we preceive what we do (even for what we know are 'illusions'...or do we really know it?).

Which leads me onto the reason why I am writing this thread (it has no purpose otherwise).

I just experienced my very first 'tactile illusion' just now and the experience was most uncomfortable.

Over here in Australia, it's very hot (I have no airconditioning) and the thermometer inside reads 37 Deg C and I am not sweating much either, just very hot.

I put the fan on to try and cool me down and to circulate the hot, stale air but I couldn't even feel the breeze from it. All I could feel was my skin move and crawl in ways I couldn't describe...like an external 'pulsing' of the dermis itself. Suffice to say, I had to switch the fan off. lol

Can we use 'known' illusion to dispel unknown illusion? That's the scientific question I leave you all with tonight. Thank you.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 08 January 2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Fixing a broken link

Re: Sensory Illusion and Ajna Chakra Activation

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    There are many wonderful 'visual illusions' that trick our minds into thinking something is there or something is happening when it really isn't.
    This is true and an interesting point.

Can we use 'known' illusion to dispel unknown illusion? That's the scientific question I leave you all with tonight. Thank you.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    To be aware of this nature of mind, which constantly finds meaning and existence in/of things which do not really exist, and meditate to go to root of this illusion of the mind should definitely help. Too much preoccupation with examples of 'known' illusions as you put it, may on the other hand can also become a distraction.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Necromancer,

Thank you for your wonderful thread, I am also a great fan of Maths and Art, what a fantastic way to show how ṣiva loves to fold back upon himself; sleeping and awakening throughout all time. In and of its self, another iteration ...

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    हरिः ओम्

Namaste Necromancer,

Thank you for your wonderful thread, I am also a great fan of Maths and Art, what a fantastic way to show how ṣiva loves to fold back upon himself; sleeping and awakening throughout all time. In and of its self, another iteration ...

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Namaste. Thank you kindly.

Yes, through mathematics, I can see the 'cosmic dance' of Lord Siva, folding back through layers of infinite possibilities. When this is expressed in the natural universe, it's a very beautiful thing to see/feel. Even the spiral arms of our galaxy reflect the same structure as the humble nautilus shell. Lord Siva is the master mathematician...

ॐ नमः शिवाय

To be aware of this nature of mind, which constantly finds meaning and existence in/of things which do not really exist, and meditate to go to root of this illusion of the mind should definitely help. Too much preoccupation with examples of 'known' illusions as you put it, may on the other hand can also become a distraction.
    Thank you also and peace.

Yes, I agree these things are good to think about and meditate on, but they are only 'tools' and we shouldn't allow ourselves to become 'distracted' by it - even though full 'distraction' by them feels nice. lol

They are an 'illusion within an illusion'.

A Dream Within A Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow!
    And, in parting from you now,
    Thus much let me avow-
    You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
    Of a surf-tormented shore,
    And I hold within my hand
    Grains of the golden sand-
    How few! yet how they creep
    Through my fingers to the deep,
    While I weep- while I weep!
    O God! can I not grasp
    Them with a tighter clasp?
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

Edgar Allan Poe
    Aum Namah Shivaya

हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

I should be interested to know whether you believe dharma
    to be an illusion or dream?

I believe firmly in reality, that some iterations of which are more stable, much kinder and sweeter than others.
    Are we not misguided should it be that we believe all to be illusion?

Would it not present a very real conundrum; were so as simple as dream upon dream we are all inter connected, how can this be if we are all separate illusions?

I see a tree with a solid trunk of dharma, and the fresh green web that are its leaves; I find this more agreeable a thought; than alluding to illusion.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय

हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

I should be interested to know whether you believe dharma to be an illusion?

I believe firmly in reality, that some iterations of which are more stable, much kinder and sweeter than others.
    Are we not misguided should it be that we believe all to be illusion?

Would it not present a very real conundrum; were so as simple as dream upon dream we are all inter connected, how can this be if we are all separate illusions?

I see a tree with a solid trunk of dharma, and the fresh green web that are its leaves; I find this more agreeable a thought; than alluding to illusion.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Namaste,

If, in the end, even Siva is an illusion, then Dharma is also.
    If Satyam and even Moksha are illusion, then Dharma is also.

:न पुण्यं न पापं न सौख्यं न दुःखं, न मन्त्रो न तीर्थो न वेदा न यज्ञ ।
    अहं भोजनं नैव भोज्यं न भोक्ता, चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ।। 4 ।।

- Atma Shtakam - Adi Shankaracharya

We cling to notions we hold as our personal truths...those which serve us in reaching our destination like spiritual 'taxi cabs'. Dharma is the road, just like the Tao is. Faith is the 'vehicle' and God is the 'driver'.

That's as best as I can explain what I think about when I actually try to.

Some lies are sweeter than others, but they are still lies. Some truths are more noble and believable than others, but they are not true either.

You have caught me out though. To say that an illusion can exist within an illusion is rather superfluous of me...I just wanted an excuse to quote Poe. lol

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 08 January 2013 at 06:22 AM.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

Poe is fantastic, very worthy of your attention and your quotation; It was a pleasure to read your post.
    Personally
    , I don't believe that he was a happy, or a contented man ..

My statements are of my own observations, backed up with scripture and echo's of words that I have heard
    or that I have read;
    I cannot lie to my self, if I am aware of my own intentions.
    So why do I refute nihilism?
    I believe that the tree exists for us to climb; that we might see of our own accord, once we get over our fear of
    heights, we are free look about.
    Until that time why would I deny the tree exists? I w
    ould not say that that tree is an illusion, or a lie. Other trees
    have existed, and indeed still do, and it is in the forest that māyā reveals both her most beautiful forms and
    unleashes her most savage beasts.

If I ignore her I may pass unnoticed, but there is a very real chance of being consumed by darkness;
    if I praise her, then just maybe, she will allow me to climb her branches, just high enough to see the way.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Last edited by Mana; 08 January 2013 at 08:02 AM.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

Poe is fantastic, very worthy of your attention and your quotation; It was a pleasure to read your post.
    Personally, I don't believe that he was a happy, or a contented man ..

My statements are of my own observations, backed up with scripture and echo's of words that I have heard
    or that I have read;

I cannot lie to my self, if I am aware of my own intentions.
    So why do I refute nihilism?
    I believe that the tree exists for us to climb; that we might see of our own accord, once we get over our fear of
    heights, we are free look about.
    Until that time why would I deny the tree exists? I would not say that that tree is an illusion, or a lie. Other trees
    have existed, and indeed still do, and it is in the forest that māyā reveals both her most beautiful forms and
    unleashes her most savage beasts.

If I ignore her I may pass unnoticed, but there is a very real chance of being consumed by darkness;
    if I praise her, then just maybe, she will allow me to climb her branches, just high enough to see the way.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Namaste. Your perspective is a very interesting one and I shall indeed ponder upon it.

Having fully embraced the path of Advaita, Nihilism becomes 'second nature' to me now.

Not to confuse nihilism with solipsism is the most difficult thing to do though.

There are two paths: "Neti Neti" and "brahmeti paramatmeti bhagavan iti sabdyate ". Both will eventually lead to the same destination.

I appreciate your kind words and wisdom, reminding me of the Buddha's 'Middle Way'.

I will continue to love and serve Lord Shiva. He will show me the light out of darkness:

Om Aasato Ma Sad Gamayah
    Tamaso Ma Jyortir Gamayah
    Mrityur Ma Amritam Gamayah

Om Shanti, Shanti, Shantih

हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

The pleasure is all mine, thank you for your kind words.
    I am currently studying Kashmir shavism; very similar to Advaita, with a few subtitle differences,
    I find it to be a wonderful philosophy and path for my needs.
    So we are both really in very similar lines of thought.
    You might enjoy some of the teachings of Swami LakshmanJoo, his expansion of the tantras has brought
    much clarity to understanding and give confidence to me in my posture.

I wish you much joy on your path!

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवा

Namaste Mana

Quote Mana " I am currently studying Kashmir shavism; very similar to Advaita, with a few subtitle differences, I find it to be a wonderful philosophy and path for my needs."

This is wonderful Mana. Please share with us any insights you have from this garden of study. Are there any particular resources you are using at this time that you might want to share with others? What I love about KS is that what you gain is never something you had to take away from another. How it takes each others short time, and returns to each a long, long eternal time. How you become a vessel where there are no tears. You become deathless. Siva is deathless. No hearts need to be broken when you move from a heart of flesh to what you are. Let us know, Mana.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information