Thread: Internship in India ?

Internship in India ?

Vanakkam everyone,

I would like to ask for your opinion: I have the opportunity to go for internships maybe in Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai. But I don't know what to do, especially since the companies doesn't provide much help....Meaning I'll have to find a place to sleep, to eat, to move all alone for 3 months minimum.
    It's not a problem for me, I live already on my own since 3 years and already have experience of indian culture....However, the one month trip I get to Tamil Nadu last time, I was accompanied.

It's important because, even if I'm nearly 21 years old, I'm not tall and still look like a 15 year old. I am afraid to have bad experiences because of this, especially with all the fuss happening those last weeks about the rapes and stuff ...I don't feel it's a good idea to be completely alone, because of this fact that I look too much younger and vulnerable than I am really.

I have friends in India, but they are in Mamallapuram and Kanchipuram (far from Chennai and even more from Delhi and Mumbai...) plus they are poor families, and I don't want to be a burden to them

Considering those facts and what's happening there, do you think I shouldn't apply for those internships ? Are there risks for me, or am I just thinking too much about this ?

Thank you

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Re: Internship in India ?

Mumbai is pretty safe for women, but since you have been to Tamil Nadu before, perhaps Chennai will be better.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Namaste McKitty,

When you are outside, the news reaching from outside makes you feel that the entire area is on fire. It is not so if you see from inside. It is not that rapes don't happen outside India ... but yes, there appears to be some specific problem in Delhi which must be tackled with a heavy hand.

From safety point of view, I think Chennai is a better place than Delhi and Mumbai for women, in particular. But accidents happen there too and it is better if you are cautious. It is better if you avoid being outside alone at late night which can invite trouble for anyone from antisocial elements. Again partying late with male friends should better be avoided as some people tend to think that such girls are "easily available". Wearing dresses in decent way also matters ( I am not happy saying this ... but believe me, it does matter.).

More than 99 % people are good by nature ... but we must be cautious against those 1 %.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

McKitty,

How are you? Haven't interacted with you in a while.

Living with a good family as a paying guest, renting a room in their house, leaving and returning back b/w 6 am - 8 pm, dressing in perhaps Salwar Kameez (a topic touched on by devotee), never attending late-night parties, going to remote areas on weekends for picnic, etc, and living in 'Chennai' might work out well for the internship purpose. By the way, I wanted to warn you - 'Mamallapuram' is far off from Chennai, a remote area filled with wealthy bungalows of rich merchants and there the crime rate is supposed to be high! Just be cautious when visiting your friends there! Kanchipuram is safe, I think.

Regardless of what you choose, I wish you good luck.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vanakkam,

Thank you very much for your enlightening answers _/\_

@Omkara: yes, you are completely right, but unfortunately I can just apply for the internships, that's the company that choose in the end so...I can only hope to be accepted at Chennai

@Devotee: Don't worry it wasn't my intend to put whole India in the same bad, I have much respect for the country and the people, but like you say it's like everything else. There is crime everywhere, in my country too I take caution....But since I don't know Mumbai, Delhi, I don't know how it is and if it's the same, that's why I asked !
    Not to worry also with the clothes, I'm always covered in a decent way and never wear short things. I'm just not comfortable with it.....Same for the parties. I don't like partying late night at some club or anything, don't find any interest in it. I'm social, but not in this kind of stuff

@Aspirant: I am fine, thank you Sorry if it seemed like I ran away, not the case I'm still learning but this time I decided to settle definitely in a philosophy and school, so, study study study study !
    I hope you are fine too ~
    Thank you very much for your advices, I didn't thought about living with a family as a paying guest. I'm going to look more into it, to have some contact just in case I get the intership
    Yeah, I noticed Mamallapuram was like you say, but my friends live in a little village some kilometers away, I had to walk by the sea a long time to reach it....But like you warned, it's kind of a remote area, and even if it's a small village I wouldn't go alone

Thank you again everyone _/\_

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

I'd have to say that you should do as much research about the city and try to find a home in the safest area that you can afford. With that said, I would then look into India's self defense laws, maybe pick up a defense oriented form of martial arts like Aikido and keep a bottle of pepper spray on you just to be safe. Aside from that, make some friends that you can trust and stick with them if you have to go out at night and all should be good =)

And sorry if I sound a bit cautious... I was a criminal justice major up until this semester

Thread Information