Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aniconism and Sanatana Dharma

Aniconism and Sanatana Dharma

The tradition of Gaudiya Vaishnavism that I was brought into was semi-aniconic, that is, the possession of divine images was discouraged as a practice. I was told that as our lineage has taught for generations, simplicity was key to a devotional life.

Part of this was not to have divine images on one's wall as decoration. Since a divine image, especially an image concerning Vishnu-tattva, was holy, it would degenerate our reverence for God. Such images are only proper on the altar. Even then, the altar should be absolutely simple, consisting of at minimum one's Guru, and Sri Chaitanya.

As a result, images as decoration would be under the mood of 'shanta-rasa,' things that would remind us of Krishna, but not directly Him (such as cows, or Gaudiya temples, or scenery of Navadwip and Vrindavan). The only image that would be ubiquitously stamped everywhere, was the OM, the tilaka, or the gurus.

Unlike ISKCONites and other Hindus, where images can be placed rather everywhere, the organisation was semi-strict regarding this principle.

Does anyone else practice aniconism fully or partially in their lives as Hindus? I know that there are aniconic sects of Hinduism (Arya Samaj, Ekasarana Dharma, Pranamami, etc.), but in practice, it just seems quite difficult in a religion where holy images are literally everywhere!

Re: Aniconism and Sanatana Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurapriya View Post
    The tradition of Gaudiya Vaishnavism that I was brought into was semi-aniconic, that is, the possession of divine images was discouraged as a practice. I was told that as our lineage has taught for generations, simplicity was key to a devotional life.

Part of this was not to have divine images on one's wall as decoration. Since a divine image, especially an image concerning Vishnu-tattva, was holy, it would degenerate our reverence for God. Such images are only proper on the altar. Even then, the altar should be absolutely simple, consisting of at minimum one's Guru, and Sri Chaitanya.

As a result, images as decoration would be under the mood of 'shanta-rasa,' things that would remind us of Krishna, but not directly Him (such as cows, or Gaudiya temples, or scenery of Navadwip and Vrindavan). The only image that would be ubiquitously stamped everywhere, was the OM, the tilaka, or the gurus.

Unlike ISKCONites and other Hindus, where images can be placed rather everywhere, the organisation was semi-strict regarding this principle.

Does anyone else practice aniconism fully or partially in their lives as Hindus? I know that there are aniconic sects of Hinduism (Arya Samaj, Ekasarana Dharma, Pranamami, etc.), but in practice, it just seems quite difficult in a religion where holy images are literally everywhere!
    The general rule of thumb is "yes and no."

In general, most Hindus who practice aniconism do so, not because of reverence for God-images, but because they see God-images as a sort of tool for immature minds. This view, offensive as it is, was first articulated by Swami Vivekananda during the 1892 World Parliament of Religions, no doubt a throwback to Christian impersonalism. It is one of the many examples of how neo-Hindu thinking was colored by Christian and Muslim thought.

I have met ISKCON devotees who tell me that they aren't supposed to have any God-images or even murthis in their homes, citing the non-difference of the Lord from His images/murthis. However, most ISKCON devotees that I have met do not follow this rule, probably because of the Hindu cultural influence.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    The general rule of thumb is "yes and no."

In general, most Hindus who practice aniconism do so, not because of reverence for God-images, but because they see God-images as a sort of tool for immature minds. This view, offensive as it is, was first articulated by Swami Vivekananda during the 1892 World Parliament of Religions, no doubt a throwback to Christian impersonalism. It is one of the many examples of how neo-Hindu thinking was colored by Christian and Muslim thought.

I have met ISKCON devotees who tell me that they aren't supposed to have any God-images or even murthis in their homes, citing the non-difference of the Lord from His images/murthis. However, most ISKCON devotees that I have met do not follow this rule, probably because of the Hindu cultural influence.
    I often visit the ISKCON temple and their home programs in my locality, and many, if not most, keep images on their walls as well as altars. Even during Ratha-yatra, I've seen people sporting Jagannatha umbrellas and stickers...

In my past Gaudiya involvement, I was part of Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math (SCS Math). It wasn't due to immaturity of those who utilise images as decoration, but that such decorative use was desecration of the sacred that made the shiksha guru of the Math eschew the ubiquitous use of them.

I am not so strict anymore, but it is sad that Vivekananda's advent in the West, though praiseworthy for his dissemination of Advaitic thought in the Americas, influenced even many Hindus to see Deity or murti worship as lower spiritual realisation.

Namaste all.

As you can see in this picture of mine,I have some spiritual posters in the wall of my room

Pranama,
    Orlando.

How are Hindu deities deriving their images? IMO - It is because of their attributes, they are said to be uniquely endowed with a specific set of attributes, symbolized by their traits such as 4 arms, carrying specific things in their arms, etc. The deities images also adhere to Samudrika shastra and Shilpa shastra. That is why it is said, the Hindu deities are all so 'beautiful'. The beauty of the form is intended to 'captivate' a devotee to think of the deity all the time and to enable the devotee ease of concentration while meditating. Thus, I believe that a certain aura emanates from the images/pictures and counters the negativity in a given space. Also, our thoughts will be more influenced by the divine, if we were to look at them more often, *everywhere* than not having them around at all. If I am angry and look at the image of a smiling Sri Ramana Maharishi, I may cool down immediately. I see this whole thing as similar to reading devotional books often, something that would benefit the sattva to emanate.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Does anyone else practice aniconism fully or partially in their lives as Hindus?

The shiva linga is the most aniconistic icon ever conceived.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    The beauty of the form is intended to 'captivate' a devotee to think of the deity all the time and to enable the devotee ease of concentration while meditating. Thus, I believe that a certain aura emanates from the images/pictures and counters the negativity in a given space. Also, our thoughts will be more influenced by the divine, if we were to look at them more often, *everywhere* than not having them around at all.
    I've always Bhagavad Gita 12.5 taken to mean that we need to use idols or images to focus on for spiritual progress.

The obstacles facing those devoted to the Impersonal Absolute are far greater; for the way of any unclear ideal is difficult for an embodied being to understand or follow.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste Jainarayan.

Since you quoted that verse,perhaps you and other users might find interesting the Srila Prabhupada's purport to it:
    http://vedabase.net/bg/12/5/en

Pranama,
    Orlando.

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Yes, that's the refutation to people who say Hindus worship idols. It's not the idol itself being worshipped, it's the deity represented by the material. When we talk on the telephone, we're not talking to the telephone, but to the person on the other end of the line. The telephone is a conduit, just as the idol is a conduit to the deity.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurapriya View Post
    I often visit the ISKCON temple and their home programs in my locality, and many, if not most, keep images on their walls as well as altars. Even during Ratha-yatra, I've seen people sporting Jagannatha umbrellas and stickers...

In my past Gaudiya involvement, I was part of Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math (SCS Math). It wasn't due to immaturity of those who utilise images as decoration, but that such decorative use was desecration of the sacred that made the shiksha guru of the Math eschew the ubiquitous use of them.

I am not so strict anymore, but it is sad that Vivekananda's advent in the West, though praiseworthy for his dissemination of Advaitic thought in the Americas, influenced even many Hindus to see Deity or murti worship as lower spiritual realisation.
    Pranams,

In all fairness to the Advaitins, most of the orthodox ones I have met do not agree with Vivekananda, and would be quite insulted at the suggestion that Vivekananda represents them in any way. Vivekananda's thinking appears to be influenced by Christian and Islamic aniconism, since he was speaking during a time period where their missionaries and anti-Hindu hostility were quite active.

I know what you mean though about the excessive uses of divine imagery. I like pictures in my house that are there to remind me of His beauty. I don't like them on bumper stickers, t-shirts that are taken into bathrooms, invitations that are eventually going to be discarded, etc.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information