Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaishnavism with Shaivism

Re: Vaishnavism with Shaivism

I don't know what I am! I'm not worried about it though. I pray from the heart and know it is heard regardless of whom I might specifically address.

For me, even though my heart is wrapped up with Ma Lakshmi, I have made associations between her and other deties, so that they all become linked. There are three deities in my shrine - Lakshmi (Shakta), Hanuman (Vaishnava/Saiva) and Ganesh (Shaiva). They all remind me of important qualities and strengths but when I pray I try to remember to acknowledge that even though I may be speaking to Hanumanji about loyalty and courage, I know Ma Lakshmi is listening in, because she is Hanuman too! And though there is no Vishnu in my shrine, I know that he is dear to Lakshmi, so my thoughts are full of fondness for him as well.

At first I thought this would make praying difficult - not having a sense of separation between them - but it helps remind me of the inherent unity in everything.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post
    I don't know what I am! I'm not worried about it though. I pray from the heart and know it is heard regardless of whom I might specifically address.

For me, even though my heart is wrapped up with Ma Lakshmi, I have made associations between her and other deties, so that they all become linked. There are three deities in my shrine - Lakshmi (Shakta), Hanuman (Vaishnava/Saiva) and Ganesh (Shaiva). They all remind me of important qualities and strengths but when I pray I try to remember to acknowledge that even though I may be speaking to Hanumanji about loyalty and courage, I know Ma Lakshmi is listening in, because she is Hanuman too! And though there is no Vishnu in my shrine, I know that he is dear to Lakshmi, so my thoughts are full of fondness for him as well.

At first I thought this would make praying difficult - not having a sense of separation between them - but it helps remind me of the inherent unity in everything.
    Very well said, Jodhaa! I can't offer anything by way of comment.. I personally believe in oneness of the entire universe, I am unable to detail what I mean here, I would PM you sometime about it!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

Pray / Worship = many deities
    Japa = Only one (one ishta devata / devi)

Rest all is for avoiding unnecessary quarreling and creating and maintaining harmony.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

This thread has been most enjoyable to read; though I doubt there has ever been any confusion here
    regarding Who I am devoted to, I have never felt the need to disparage, or make negative comparisons.

While not a Universalist, when others have attempted to draw me into
    "Which tradition is best?" jalpa, I have responded thus:

Which is possible to comprehend- the nature of a beetle, or the nature
    of the Divine? If you say the beetle, then I ask further-
    There are over 400,000 species of beetle; which one best represents the nature of a beetle?

Recently, reading Arjuni's blog more thoroughly has helped me remove some
    preconceptions and ignorance concerning both Lord Indra (and His devotees)..

Once again HDF has helped to remind that "contempt prior to investigation"
    has never served any good purpose, I am grateful for my fellow members

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namaste JaiMaaDurga

I am so glad you posted your thoughts on this. And I know you are not saying what I am respectfully am about to say, though I also agree with you. And to tell the truth, even though nothing much can get me to isolate myself from from the association with devotees (whether in person which is intregal for me, or via new technologies), it has been frankly annoying and sometimes sad for me as a Saiva to read the attempts to put down my Lord Mahadeva and the comparisons made to define Him in lower terms instead of simply glorifying one's own Lord or devotion. I know this is not what some try to, and I know there is a difference between a private communion between student and teacher where more things are said verse a public forum (like this), but some even if a minority do engage in this which is sad and in almost every case it comes from those who actually have zero authority to speak or claim to quote anything of authority but sure think they are a Pope if you will. I suppose some few still will, I am not saying to silence anyone, go ahead. They never change anyone as does a Guru or a devotee who wants to set an example. They have nothing on me, will never change me, and never will have anything over me for that matter. I just want to hear the glories, and there are plenty of others who share such wonders.

Luckily they are very, very small in number, but sometimes what they project even if a tiny minority in this huge and diverse family we call Hinduism sounds out louder since usually the scratch of finger nails on a chalk board gets all the attention. Not saying this thread is an example of it, but I have and will continue to support my Vaishnav or ISKCON or Shakta companions on this world even though I am a Saiva, and others as I always do with love for all devotees and enjoy hearing the glories of the Devas and Devi. Let me hear that, as well as the glory of the Brahman, and of couse Mother Devi Whom I love so much, of all the Mahayogis, mahatmas and saints, mystics and Munis, jai Hinduswara. Jai Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu, Indra, Surya, Devi. Not trying to sound like a soft hearted love child - anyone who knows me, they know I am not and I can be as mean as a wasp if I don't get my fun, but most of the time I have too much fun to always be a soap opera like from ZeeTV. Who cares what makes me, frankly I don't even care, I just like my life. Just saying, be nice to my Lord, that's all I am thinking.

I too love Arjuni's blog.

Today I think of Garuda. Why? Why not.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste Aspirant

You had asked about any devotions another may perform in the household involving Devas or Devi. Today is Friday so this reminds me to mention, my Mother In Law who we call Didi Maa is pn restricted food, she cannot cook, she goes outside and blows conch very loud and inside she gives worship to Santoshi Maa Devi.

Santoshi Maa ki Jai

Om Namah Sivaya

Here is a small list of festivals celebrated by Vaishnavites for Shaivite deities:

Ganesh Chathurthi
    Navarathi - Durga and Saraswathi Pujas.

Shaivites for Vaishnavite deities:

Diwali (commemorating the victory of Sri Krishna over Narakasura)
    Varalakshmi Vratham (I think Tamilnadu Iyers celebrate this festival).

sometimes sad for me as a Saiva to read the attempts to put down my Lord Mahadeva and the comparisons made to define Him in lower terms instead of simply glorifying one's own Lord or devotion.
    ShivaFanji, I hope not to be one of them, I have always referred to Shiva fondly as 'Sarveswara', because SriVaishnava acharyas, U.Ve. Velukkudi Krishnan or U.Ve. Karunakarachariyar have always held Lord Shiva in highest esteem in their upanyasas and besides their upanyasas, I love Shiva too!
    Om Namah Shivaya!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Durga (Narayani), is, after all, Vishnu's sister acc. Srimad Bhagavatam. That makes Shiva and Vishnu brothers-in-law, and Ganesha is Vishnu's nephew. So you see, it's all one big happy family.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    Durga (Narayani), is, after all, Vishnu's sister acc. Srimad Bhagavatam. That makes Shiva and Vishnu brothers-in-law, and Ganesha is Vishnu's nephew. So you see, it's all one big happy family.
    And Muruga - Karthikeya is Vishnu's son-in-law, his daughter Deivayanai is married to Skanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Here is a small list of festivals celebrated by Vaishnavites for Shaivite deities:

Ganesh Chathurthi
    At my temple, we don't really do Navaratri, or Ganesha Chaturthi... however, we do celebrate Shivaratri! It's the only day that we can commemorate Lord Shiva as an expansion of Sri Vishnu. The temple brings out our Deities of Lord Shiva, Srimati Parvati and Ganeshaji, and sing kirtanas in their names!

Thread Information