Thread: Emotional Lability and Karma

Unhappy Emotional Lability and Karma

Namaste all,

I do apologize for the original message posted here if it disturbed or upset anyone...however, the original point of this thread still stands. My emotions tend to be very labile sometimes, especially when controversial topics are discussed. This manifests in weird ways...if someone says something that upsets me for some odd reason, I tend to go to the extreme with sad emotion and end up in a crying fit for some time...and then an hour later or thereabouts I'd be normal again like almost nothing happened.

I wasn't kidding when I said it was ruining my life, though. Maybe ruining is a strong word, but it's definitely making my life more inconvenient...no one wants to see me bursting into tears for no apparent reason!

Obviously I can't avoid confronting controversial topics all my life, so...there has to be some way of spiritually dealing with this phenomenon. I know I sound like a broken record in asking for advice on this particular topic...but my mind still works in ways not even I can fathom. If no one here can help me, that's fine, but...well, some tea and sympathy would be appreciated, at least.
    Last edited by Webimpulse; 12 January 2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: deleted original message

Re: Emotional Lability and Karma

Namaste, Webimpulse,

I didn't read your original post in the thread but from the sound of it I think I understand what you are talking about.

I also tend to react over-emotionally to anything that upsets me or makes me angry. This reaction is most likely something that has developed in childhood. If you are getting something out of it, such as sympathy or affection from others, it's going to reinforce this reaction in your subconscious, making it more likely for it to happen again in the future. I'm not qualified to offer advice on how to get over it, only because I still struggle with it myself. But what I do now is stop myself and ask myself a few questions. Even if I don't know the answers, just distracting myself with self-talk breaks the emotional tailspin.

1. Why am I feeling upset?
    2. What do I gain from acting this way?
    3. How can I get my emotional needs met without reacting this way? (Since it is clearly causing social issues)
    4. Is my reaction proportional to the actual event that has happened?

Basically, some people learn when they are young to react very emotionally to things because they got something out of it, the problem is, that behavior doesn't translate or continue to work when we become adults. We have to teach ourselves more mature ways of reacting. The first step is getting yourself to calm down as quickly as possible so you can think rationally.

I hope this helps.

Peace.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste.

I am sorry to read about your plight, but these things do happen sometimes.

I have anxiety and social phobia and it has been quite a while since I had my last 'panic attack'...

Yesterday, I was with an acquaintance and I was waiting to be served in a crowded store...it was really crowded and I was waiting for 20 minutes to get served (there was a queue of about 30 people at the checkouts and only 2 people working them).

All of a sudden, I started crying and had to get out of there. My acquaintance told me to be patient, stop fussing and stop making a scene, but I couldn't help it and I dually told them where they could go as well (which they did).

I got home and cried into my pillow for hours and I am tossing up whether to go back to my 'shrink' for some more Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Maybe try talking to a counselor/spiritual advisor about this, or NLP.

I couldn't even calm myself down enough to meditate or remember God and that really bothered/bothers me.

I wish you the best of luck and happiness.

Aum Namah Shivaya

From coming out of a very hard period of time in my life, what I can say for you is as long as you are alive and breathing, the chance for things to improve will always be. All in all, relax and with the things that plague you, take them in your mind and break them down into lesser problems and start with the ones that are the easiest to deal with and work your way up. Take your time doing this and find a hobby or something that can help you to relax and remain focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    I wasn't kidding when I said it was ruining my life, though. Maybe ruining is a strong word, but it's definitely making my life more inconvenient...no one wants to see me bursting into tears for no apparent reason!

Obviously I can't avoid confronting controversial topics all my life, so...there has to be some way of spiritually dealing with this phenomenon. I know I sound like a broken record in asking for advice on this particular topic...but my mind still works in ways not even I can fathom. If no one here can help me, that's fine, but...well, some tea and sympathy would be appreciated, at least.
    Webimpulse, some of us are 'out of the ordinary' - I do not mean the gifted, I rather mean the 'not so gifted' - I do not see how much you perceive emotional lability as a handicap, going by your message, I presume 'very much', but I am also very much handicapped on other account of insufficiency related to personality - my problem is 'I talk very little' - and 'I am totally shy'. Given women are of the general trait of being 'endowed verbally', I tend to be the opposite - I am so defecient in the speech arena, even if someone talks to me, after a short time, I do not have anything to say! You can imagine how 'defeated' I feel.. I go to places crowded with women and all around me I see this pretty picture of 'women deeply engrossed in affairs of the world that sound oh, so interesting' when I'm all alone, given the additional fact even if I were to find someone to talk to, I'll have very little to say...

So I am here to offer to you just a few words of wisdom that I advice myself all the time - 'Not an atom moves without *his* grace'. All these folks that talk, are emotionally stable, are not 'great', they haven't strived all through their lives to 'acquire' that particular ability, if they seem happy with their personalities, that happened to them out of gift of god - they are ordinary, normal folks! Many of them are wasting away their lives feeling good internally about their circumstances and not thinking about god. So, even if having some personality defects, if that bothers us to think of god, to praise his glory in an effort to get better, we are, actually, much better than these ordinary folks! Again, I repeat, 'not an atom moves without his will' - so these are all ordinary folks, with ordinary gifts! Only those who strive, acquire something out of hardship are truly gifted, and those even more gifted than them, are those that sing the glory of god, even if be handicapped otherwise!

When I first saw the following picture, I jumped up not because I think this is so genuine and wise which it sure is, but I jumped up because "it was saying all I tell myself all the time"...

I hope you enjoyed what I had to offer, and I am truly sorry if I sound otherwise...
    Last edited by Viraja; 13 January 2013 at 02:22 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste all,

I do apologize for the original message posted here if it disturbed or upset anyone...however, the original point of this thread still stands. My emotions tend to be very labile sometimes, especially when controversial topics are discussed. This manifests in weird ways...if someone says something that upsets me for some odd reason, I tend to go to the extreme with sad emotion and end up in a crying fit for some time...and then an hour later or thereabouts I'd be normal again like almost nothing happened.

The attachement to what you think is right, your likes and dislikes and the ego - all together tend to bind you to a post. This does not allow you to change, alter your stance to go by the flow or adopt to the flow or change the flow. There lies the agony of losing out to the surroundings.

Two points come out of this -

1. Your wish to change surroundings

2. Your wish not to change yourself.

But if we look at the world holistically - everything changes. With age you will also change - nothing is permanent. The movement from good to bad to good will go on. This is the rule and the wave of existence of nature.

The best you can do is to achieve a state of mind (though more and more knowledge), which will allow the flow to happen without affecting you. The nearby surrounding (to you) may also feel and try to attain the knowledge in you but beyond that it is the normal flow. The higher is the knowledge bigger is the influenced surrounding.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Thread Information