Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Onions, garlic and mushrooms, oh my!

Re: Onions, garlic and mushrooms, oh my!

Vannakkam: I think it is more difficult to eat poorly than to eat healthily once you develop a taste for good clean food that is meat free, not processed, not too oily, and sugar free. Some 30 years back we (my wife and I) did a scientific study of nutrients we were getting, based on a detailed recording for one month. We were way above daily intake standards in all areas except maybe iron and B12. So after that I stopped worrying about it.

Sugar is like the allergy test where you go off it for a couple of months, then do a bit of a binge. If you do that with soda, you'll find that after the sugar fast, you can barely drink a can of coke without feeling quite ill.

Many people have forgotten to listen to their body, just like we've forgotten how to breathe.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Not all ground veggies are tamasik, ginger is very sattvik. Fruits and roots are generally sattvik.

The shastras actually classify many foods as not sattvik including lentils, pumpkin and aubergine. The yoga guru Krishnamacharya even said that chick peas are tamasik. Then there are rules of forbidden foods for each tithi and each mAsa. In this case, I have no problem following the Ayurvedic recommendation for physical health, instead of eating purely sattvik. The Allium family of vegetables have countless proven health benefits. The anti cancer effects of allium family vegetables and mushrooms are huge.
    Chickpeas are tamasic? I've never heard of that before. The ISKCON temple here serves a little bit of raw chickpeas on the side for breakfast after the temple morning program. I've never heard of lentils and chickpeas being rajasic or tamasic before; I've just happily made sabjis and dal out of these without even thinking.

And the pakoras and chickpea-based parathas I've made were all in vain!

I've never seen any Vaishnavite in real life adhering strictly to all sattvic standards... but then again, I live in a non-Dharmic country!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurapriya View Post
    Chickpeas are tamasic? I've never heard of that before. The ISKCON temple here serves a little bit of raw chickpeas on the side for breakfast after the temple morning program. I've never heard of lentils and chickpeas being rajasic or tamasic before; I've just happily made sabjis and dal out of these without even thinking.

And the pakoras and chickpea-based parathas I've made were all in vain!

I've never seen any Vaishnavite in real life adhering strictly to all sattvic standards... but then again, I live in a non-Dharmic country!
    Chickpeas being tamasic is according yoga guru Sri Krishnamacharya, I did not come across this information in any shashtra. And I think pumpkin wasn't tamasic, but only forbidden on certain months like karthik, I am not sure anymore. The most sattvik bean is mung beans. Lauki can also not be eaten on every tithi. There are a lot of rules like this, but I don't follow them. The only thing I follow is fasting completely from food on ekadashi and eating a simple sattvik meal on dashami and dvadashi.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 23 February 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I think it is more difficult to eat poorly than to eat healthily once you develop a taste for good clean food that is meat free, not processed, not too oily, and sugar free. Some 30 years back we (my wife and I) did a scientific study of nutrients we were getting, based on a detailed recording for one month. We were way above daily intake standards in all areas except maybe iron and B12. So after that I stopped worrying about it.
    As vegetarians taking a b12 supplement is very important. Getting enough vitamin b12 from vegetarian animal derived products like dairy is difficult. I am not a fan of iron supplements, because too much iron can have negative side effects. Black strap molasses, beans, soy and green leafy vegetables are rich sources of iron. Cooking in iron pans also increases your iron levels. Tea, coffee and cacao inhibit the absorption of iron, it's best not to drink them with meals. The good thing about plant iron (non heme) is that your body can regulate the absorption according to its needs. The absorption of iron from animal flesh and supplements (heme iron) is not regulated like this, so people say it's better absorbed. That is true, but that can also cause overly high levels of iron in the blood.

Here's a list of the iron content of plant foods:
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

Higher bioaccessibility of iron and zinc from food grains in the presence of garlic and onion:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20597543

The role of vitamin C in iron absorption:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2507689
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 23 February 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Chickpeas being tamasic is according yoga guru Sri Krishnamacharya, I did not come across this information in any shashtra. And I think pumpkin wasn't tamasic, but only forbidden on certain months like karthik, I am not sure anymore. The most sattvik bean is mung beans. Lauki can also not be eaten on every tithi. There are a lot of rules like this, but I don't follow them. The only thing I follow is fasting completely from food on ekadashi and eating a simple sattvik meal on dashami and dvadashi.
    I don't eat sattvic all the time, but I used to when I was living with a Vaishnava family for some time. But it certainly helps to have a simpler regime! It is just easier to do with our busy modernity as our present age!

I know that chickpeas and other high-protein substances are not proper for people in brahmacharyam, and definitely not after dusk.

One delicious way I add B12 into my diet is through nutritional yeast, and it is a wonderful additive to things like pasta and stovetop popcorn! It has a nice cheesy-nutty taste, and rich in vitamin B12.

Thanks so much to all who were kind enough to help me out with this dilemma.
    After studying all your responses, I believe I will take Believer's advice. I wasn't able to get a hold of my Guru immediately, but after speaking with him, his thoughts were in line with that of Believers. Hopefully, as I advance and my obligations aren't as great, I'll be able to adhere more closely to the tenets of the Bhagavad Gita.

Hari bol,
    Mary

Namaste all,

One thing that has crossed my mind reading this thread.

People have different bodies and some will not be able to tolerate what others can. I know people who are lactose intolerant and cannot process dairy and others that can not handle soy at all. Others, like me, can be fortunate to handle these things but in the 3 weeks or so I've been vegetarian, I've noticed I am a lot less hungry and have higher energy levels without eating meat and eating much more healthily. Others I know have really suffered not eating meat and can not handle being vegetarian.

I suppose that to some, sattvic tamasic and rajasic (I may not have these terms right) may not biologically mean the same to all.

Pranams.

Thread Information