Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Onions, garlic and mushrooms, oh my!

Re: Onions, garlic and mushrooms, oh my!

I was also told that mushrooms are not eaten because they are in-between plants and animals. The fungi kingdom sometimes act plant-like, and other fungi act very animal-like.

It's difficult to follow a sattvic diet in the West. Things like tofu, vinegar, and soy sauce, the former being what I use most in my cooking, are used in much of vegetarian cooking out here.

Due to being technologically challenged, I can't find a way to post a new thread, but I believe this one will work. I have recently set up an altar and want to offer food to Krsna. In searching my cupboards most of the food on hand has garlic and or onions in it, even though it's probably in small quantities. I live in the Midwest so don't know where to buy things like salsa, or frozen cheese piazzas, lasagna, etc. without these spices. I am getting very discouraged because I really want to advance on my path to being a good devotee. Any advice. We do not have a Krsna Conscious temple where I live. Are there any web sites where you can order these types of foods?

Thanks.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    I live in the Midwest so don't know where to buy things like salsa, or frozen cheese piazzas, lasagna, etc. without these spices. I am getting very discouraged because I really want to advance on my path to being a good devotee. Any advice. We do not have a Krsna Conscious temple where I live.
    Whether a person lives in the East or West, eating saatvic is a choice which requires a strict regimen. Some of the requirements are that the food should be pure, light and fresh. Looking for frozen or pre-prepared food negates those concepts. I am not trying to pick on anyone about eating saatvic or not, but just presenting a fuller definition of what is saatvic. The Krishna Conscious (ISKCON) temples prepare everything that they offer to deities/eat/serve as prasadam, in their own kitchens.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    I hope to get stricter with practice of such guidelines with progressive age.
    'stricter - with progressive age' - Would that be in preparation for the judgement day?

Pranam.

Due to being technologically challenged, I can't find a way to post a new thread, but I believe this one will work. I have recently set up an altar and want to offer food to Krsna. In searching my cupboards most of the food on hand has garlic and or onions in it, even though it's probably in small quantities. I live in the Midwest so don't know where to buy things like salsa, or frozen cheese piazzas, lasagna, etc. without these spices. I am getting very discouraged because I really want to advance on my path to being a good devotee. Any advice. We do not have a Krsna Conscious temple where I live. Are there any web sites where you can order these types of foods?

Thanks.
    Vannakkam: It doesn't have to be 'Hindu' or eastern. Western vegetarian food is perfectly fine, without the spices. So lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, etc. Red lentils can be bought in most western style stores, and its the same lentil Indians use for a variety of dhal.

Lentils, chick peas, rice, and the like also store very well, so if you can get to a larger city even once in 6 months, you should be able to stock up.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    'stricter - with progressive age' - Would that be in preparation for the judgement day?

Pranam.
    You could say that . It is mainly because as EMji noted elsewhere, our subconscious mind has to undergo change, if at all I could make a change to it with my food habits, then I would go for it!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

In olden days, about 75 years ago, they even avoided what is regarded as 'English vegetables' - vegetables the British brought to India such as Cabbage, Cauliflower and String beans. I do not know whether this boycott was done because they were also considered 'tamasic food' or because of a want to disregard what the English had brought.

Thanks.
    As a person who practices Krishna consciousness, though not in ISKCON, (I live in the country above you, lol), Believer is right. Generally Vaishnavas, or devotees of Krishna try to make food from scratch, me included. If you have items with onions or garlic, just prepare them and offer them up. You can still cook without the physical onions and garlic, but offer the pre-prepared items that you have on hand.

Good luck, honey!

Hare Krishna~!

If one cannot find sattwic foods for the deity, one can offer fruits (any), raisins, cooked rice and curd, all those canned beans such as kidney beans and so forth (just crack a little mustard seeds in oil, add the canned boiled beans, and add turmeric, salt and chilly powder - that's all - we call this 'sundal') can be offered as cooked food.

Thanks.
    Prepared foods should not be offered. You will want to purchase fresh ingredients and cook from scratch, always after having bathed. Consider keeping some pictures of Sri Krishna in the kitchen and/or playing devotional music while cooking for Him, to enhance remembrance of Him. Offering onions, garlic or mushroom is an absolute no-no. I also suggest keeping your cooking utensils and eating utensils separate.

regards,
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste,

Most of the common householders pick and choose from the traditional/scripturally sanctioned rules for devotional service. Others arbitrarily rationalize and update these rules to be in line with the modern times. Still others go to the extent of reinterpreting the scriptures with statements like, 'I believe Bhagwad Gita says........', to justify how they do things per their life style, without feeling guilty. So we humans, many a times, deviate from the ideal and find excuses to do so, so that we don't carry a guilty feeling. Under such conditions, a sincere devotee may list/suggest the right conduct for proper devotional service and leave at that. If one makes an offering three times a day, does that mean the person should bathe three times a day and then only do the cooking? We are all on different trajectories for spiritual advancement. Our passion/desire/effort in that direction is different for each one of us. So, just disseminating the information about the right and wrong should be the end of the discourse. What an individual does with it up to his/her level of understanding, desire for advancement and above all the feeling of need for it.

Pranam.

Thread Information