Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Onions, garlic and mushrooms, oh my!

Re: Onions, garlic and mushrooms, oh my!

Namaste All

I have been repeatedly taught about the bad qualities of onions, garlic and mushrooms - and as others point out the tamasic nature of them.

So in general, I agree - I cannot argue with these authorities who tell me so. I have had Indians tell me very interesting insights, and have read and been told things such as "Onions and garlic are the nails of asuras".

But then again, in regards to onions - I have seen ayurvedic teachers who actually know what they are talking about, recommending onions as a medicine (I know, this is different than "daily eating habits", but ...). Where the use of onions, based on your total analysis, is recommended not just as a "tablet" but to eat everyday!

Perhaps that is just for some people, but it strikes me as strange that onion is a recommended daily intake for some humans, but is also a "nail of the asuras".

This post reminded me again of my book collection, I have one book from a yogi called "Miracle Onion". Sorry, I don't have it in front of me, published in India but I cannot recall the author, but I did read it, and it was pretty convincing, from the diet, ayurved, and even some religious examples were given linking the good state of body with the good state of mind for meditation.

I am not saying I am convinced by the argument that onions are a "miracle" - but there are miracles in all sorts of things. For example, cobra venom is a poison. But I take a tiny little blue bit of such venom every single day for my health. It is a poison, but it is a miracle also.

So sometimes, things are not necessarily "carte blanche", yes?

Om Namah Sivaya

Principles of cooking in Hinduism are for spiritual health.

Ayurvedic healers focus on material health.

These are two different things.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Vannakkam: Unlike experimentation with meat, in which I definitely felt better not eating, I didn`t feel any difference when going off onions. Then again, there is quite the difference between meat and onions, and that in itself might make the difference foe onions very subtle.

I feel all of these ideas need to be proved, in some way at least, by personal trial, as we all have different metabolic rates, etc.

Still I do try to eat more above ground veggies than below ground veggies.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Still I do try to eat more above ground veggies than below ground veggies.
    Not all ground veggies are tamasik, ginger is very sattvik. Fruits and roots are generally sattvik.

The shastras actually classify many foods as not sattvik including lentils, pumpkin and aubergine. The yoga guru Krishnamacharya even said that chick peas are tamasik. Then there are rules of forbidden foods for each tithi and each mAsa. In this case, I have no problem following the Ayurvedic recommendation for physical health, instead of eating purely sattvik. The Allium family of vegetables have countless proven health benefits. The anti cancer effects of allium family vegetables and mushrooms are huge.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 23 February 2013 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Not all ground veggies are tamasik, ginger is very sattvik. Fruits and roots are generally sattvik.

The shastras actually classify many foods as not sattvik including lentils, pumpkin and aubergine. The yoga guru Krishnamacharya even said that chick peas are tamasik. Then there are rules of forbidden foods for each tithi and each mAsa. In this case, I have no problem following the Ayurvedic recommendation for physical health, instead of eating purely sattvik. The Allium family of vegetables have countless proven health benefits. The anti cancer effects of allium family vegetables and mushrooms are huge.
    Vannakkam: I don't suppose you know of a site(s) that lists various vegetables, and their nutritional benefit, both western, and ayurveda? Hopefully a site with pictures. Many of the fruits and vegetables vary widely from place to place. For example, here in Mauritius I have friends who give me fruits, even seed packets, or leaves, and about all I get is the vague, "It's good for you!" I mean that's cool, but in what way might be helpful.

Aum Namasivaya

There is a lot of scientific information on the health benefits of plant foods on the website of this vegan MD. I am not really a proponent of veganism, but this doctor knows a lot about plant foods. http://nutritionfacts.org/

I don't trust websites that claim to represent Ayurveda. The word ayurveda is often used outside of the context of traditional Indian Ayurvedic practice as a marketing buzz word.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post

Namaste EM, thanks for the insights!

Namaste Sahasranama - Oh no, I eat a lot of lentils, and actually I love pumpkin and just ate that (curry pumpkin) yesterday. My wife gives me lentils almost as much as rice. Now I am worried ... but I do eat a LOT of fruits! I am a "fruit fanatic" (addicted to fruits, of all sorts). I am addicted to fruit juices (of course better to avoid canned one, they have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them, and my wife goes "nuts" if I drink or eat things with that it in, she hates it and says it is death). But probably I get too much sugar from the fruit juices. Actually, I do not eat healthy, I eat what I like a spoiled kid. I am crazy like I said for fruits, I love nuts of all sorts, I love "black dal" (punjabi style), but I love samosas which are probably really bad for me (the "ladies" cook me samosas). I do avoid butter - but ghee, is there any information on eating ghee? I love ghee - probably not good for me, though the "ladies" limit it.

One thing I LOVE is peanuts. To tell the truth, I am always buying those big bags of unsalted peanuts from the grocery. My wife tells me it is bad for us.

Thanks for the information everyone!

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    I do avoid butter - but ghee, is there any information on eating ghee? I love ghee - probably not good for me, though the "ladies" limit it.
    There is a saying in Tamil "Nei illa undi paazh" - this is to mean (spiritually) that while eating food, one must take Ghee with the rice and same goes to serving food to others - Ghee must be served. This has got something to do with offering of the Ghee to 'Agni deva' first. The stomach has got the digestive fire and this ghee is necessary to be offered to them first.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    There is a saying in Tamil "Nei illa undi paazh" - this is to mean (spiritually) that while eating food, one must take Ghee with the rice and same goes to serving food to others - Ghee must be served. This has got something to do with offering of the Ghee to 'Agni deva' first. The stomach has got the digestive fire and this ghee is necessary to be offered to them first.
    Interesting thing about ghee. In the mahAnArAyaNa upaniShad there are a couple of mantras that glorify the Lord as the ghee offered in yagna.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste Viraja and Philosoraptor

Very interesting information on ghee, thanks for sharing.

Some "scholars" try to claim mushrooms include Soma as part of the shroom family. I don't think so, but if it were....

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information