Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem with my name...

I have a problem with my name...

I have been part of Vaishnavism for quite a while, five or six years. As a result, and because of some personal reasons, I legally changed my first name to a Hindu name a year ago.

But the thing is, I never had Vaishnava diksha (officially taking on a guru). I just simply converted. And while many Hindu groups have samskaras (and Shaiva Siddhanta Church encourages conversion with a namakarana samskara), samskara ceremonies are downplaid by the Gaudiya tradition at large.

I just adopted the name, and the local temple just began calling me by my Hindu name at that point in time.

Because of shame however, I have gone by my (Christian) middle name with my friends and family. But when I go to the government, or the doctor's office, I always end up hearing my first, legal, Hindu name.

Should I just continue to utilise my Hindu name at this point, or should I still bother with a namakarana samskara (from a non-Vaishnavite group) despite its de-emphasis in my tradition? Or shall I just wait until a guru finds me in the midst of my own maya to bring me to the path of bhakti?

Re: I have a problem with my name...

Namaste mataji Gaurapriya.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurapriya View Post
    Or shall I just wait until a guru finds me in the midst of my own maya to bring me to the path of bhakti?
    Actually in vaishnavism it is the guru the one who give us our spiritual names(for example Mukunda Das or Padmavati Devi Dasi).

We should not choose hindu names by our-selves.

Pranama,
    Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    Namaste mataji Gaurapriya.

Actually in vaishnavism it is the guru the one who give us our spiritual names(for example Mukunda Das or Padmavati Devi Dasi).

Pranama,
    Orlando.
    That is not necessarily always so. I presume that you are from ISKCON, correct me if I am wrong?

Gurukulis (buzzword for the children born in ISKCON) were just given a Hindu name at birth, sometimes from their guru, and sometimes merely from the parents. They never received any formal samskara.

Secondly, diksha (or initiation) is not necessary to be Vaishnavite. To be fully practicing and committed, then diksha and having one's Guru's guidance is necessary. One knows that a person received diksha through the titles 'DASA' and 'DASI' with the name given during a diksha ceremony.

I am not a 'dasi', and that is generally a good sign of someone who hasn't taken formal diksha.

A child born in ISKCON may be born as 'Harini Caetano;' when she grows into an adult, they still call her Harini. If she ends up taking diksha then her name could end up being 'Haripriya devi dasi' (not legally, of course), and her 'spiritual name' is Haripriya.

Besides, it's a little late for that... it's pretty much been legal for a while and all of my necessary documents have been changed, lol.

Going back to Vital Statistics to re-change my name, then changing every single identity (as I have done for my Hindu name), birth certificate, ID, bank, social insurance number, medical card, etc. was annoying, and would be to do that again! :/

Namaste Mataji.

I presume that you are from ISKCON, correct me if I am wrong?
    I am a follower of Srila Prabhupada and I read his books.
    However I do not follow ISKCON institution but general gaudiya-vaishnavism.

Since I do not share ISKCON's politics,I already decided that my (gaudiya-vaishnava) guru will not be an ISKCON guru.
    I already talked about this here.

Gurukulis (buzzword for the children born in ISKCON) were just given a Hindu name at birth, sometimes from their guru, and sometimes merely from the parents.
    Also in this case the hindu names were not decided by them-self

Quote Originally Posted by orlando
    The guru is our spiritual father(so a spiritual parent).

So in any case,in gaudiya-vaishnavism,our hindu names is never decided by our-self but by someone(parents or guru) who is materially and/spiritually higher than us

In any case,as far as I know,no gaudiya-vaishnava guru or instituion requires us to change legally our name

Pranama,
    Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    Namaste Mataji.

Also in this case the hindu names were not decided by them-self
    Everyone in the temple has accepted my Hindu name, and call me by that name for a year now. Would it not be that they also have chosen and called me by that name? Should I tell them again to call me by a different name again?

I do not consider it a 'spiritual name' but rather my Hindu name. When I find my Guru and take diksha, then whatever name he bestows on me would be my 'spiritual name'.

The guru is our spiritual father(so a spiritual parent).

So in any case,in gaudiya-vaishnavism,our hindu names is never decided by our-self but by someone(parents or guru) who is materially and/spiritually higher than us

Pranama,
    Orlando.
    Gaudiya Vaishnavism is a very small tradition in an even bigger religion of Vaishnavism. How can I accept what you are saying if Srila Prabhupad accepted extravagant Deity worship, but my shiksha guru, Srila Sridhar Maharaj (godbrother of Srila Prabhupad) de-emphasised it, and focussed on Gaura-lila smaranam? Srila Sridhar Maharaj's philosophy is quite different from Srila Prabhupad's, and thus anything material, such as samskaras and marriage, have nothing to do with 'spiritual life,' according to Srila Guru Maharaj.

Many of the older folks have also called me by my new name, and accepted it. If that is the case, then many older women know me and call me affectionately after the bewildering feminine avatara of Sri Vishnu! How can I tell them otherwise?

Namaste Mataji.

Everyone in the temple has accepted my Hindu name, and call me by that name for a year now. Would it not be that they also have chosen and called me by that name? Should I tell them again to call me by a different name again?
    Please note that I was just exposing gaudiya-vaishnava doctrine.
    I would never dare to tell you what to do and what to not do.

How can I accept what you are saying if Srila Prabhupad accepted extravagant Deity worship, but my shiksha guru, Srila Sridhar Maharaj (godbrother of Srila Prabhupad) de-emphasised it, and focussed on Gaura-lila smaranam? Srila Sridhar Maharaj's philosophy is quite different from Srila Prabhupad's, and thus anything material, such as samskaras and marriage, have nothing to do with 'spiritual life,' according to Srila Guru Maharaj.
    Even if their teachings are different,all authentic gaudiya-vaishnava gurus will lead us to the same goal:Krishna-prema(love for Krishna)

It is interesting to note that when Srila Prabhupada was still in this world,he said his disceples to not middle with his godbrothers just because they would have been confused if another guru explained them Krishna Consciousness in a different way.

But near the end of this life he apologised for criticizing his god-brothers and explained the reason why he offendend them.
    Than he told his disceples to take instruction from Srila Sridara Marahaja and other gurus.

In any case that ultimate authority for us will be our own living gurus

Hare Krishna,
    Bhakta Orlando.

Namaste,

I am not well versed with conversion or with Vaishnavism, but I believe that change should be at heart. You can keep Christian name if you feel uncomfortable.

The name given after diksha is that of a kind of sanyasin or a brahmacharis.

Name is just meant to address you as a person and nothing more. So it Christian Suzie or cheryl or be it gauripriya or gauri or priya. Whatever someone calls he/she is calling you. Just think of it as a pen name like many writers adopt.

Baptization should be of that of soul and not just physical body. So do not worry too much. You will not chant Japa of your name, but of your beloved deity (ishta Devata). So what does it matter if 'Jenny' chants 'Shri Krishna Sharanam Mama' or 'Jagruti' chants 'Shri Krishna Sharaman Mama'? Will your accent change or will you get smarter if you adopt an Indian Vaishnav Name.

Yo can completely change to Hindu Name and make your daddy 'Paresh' instead of 'Peter' and long with your surname. You will be the same you, accept that for psychologically a person thinks he has become smarter by wearing a coat or business suit

Diksha is another thing, mostly it's a beginning of a new life. In Advaita you are also told to do 'Sharaddha' (last rights / after death rights) of your family and yourself. You are dead to this world. So you get a new name and you have no connection with this society and your family.

I think you can be a vaishnav by still retaining your christian name or by adopting a new hindu name. I believe in hiding your abilities and let people think that you are a christian but you are Hindu at heart. You can also choose you openly say that you are a proud Vaishnav. Inner transformation is more important.

Nothing to be ashamed of. People change their life partners and still do not feel ashamed. You have just changed your name. See Hollywood stars. They make and break often. How would be their personal life? Still people are crazy for their autographs and even want their used up clothes.

Just my two Cents. No offensives please.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

The Hindus keep names of their choice until they decide to take Samnyaas. When Samnyaas is taken, it is considered to be another birth of the person and at that time, he/she leaves behind everything worldly including his/her name. So, Guru gives the disciple another name.

Have you taken Samnyaas ? If not, why are you bothered ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Gaurapriya

Your Hindu name is now Gaurapriya. An entire set of circumstances is probabjy the reason for that, a bigger story that we on the forum do not know, nor do we need to think we are obilged to know.

You want to have the namakarana samskara rite, otherwise you would have not of asked.

So then, you should, you will be happy. So the only question is, where?

I do not know where or how. But I have an odd suggestion. But it is odd.

You are a Gaudiya, Lord Chaitanya loves you very much. I believe He had a nickname. Probably His mother once called Him one name, then called Him a beloved nickname.

In my family, there are many women. Which have nicknames.

The most beloved seem to.

When some other female in the family is addressing another female at the time tears are falling, or when there is joy, when a voice is heard after a time of absence, they seem to always, always, always use the nickname.

This is especially true, if the one saying it is a Mother.

I do not know what is this name. They translate into things such as little bird, or lovely.

I could be wrong, I think this is their real name. Maybe of their soul. Maybe this is their real Hindu name.

If you go to have this rite, since you are special in this case, I might suggest an odd thing. The Mother may have given you this nickname. Your name is maybe both your nickname and your Hindu name.

So I would suggest you might consider Mother when going some place for this rite. Perhaps instead of Vishnu Temple, or Shiva Temple, you go to Mother Temple. To Shakta Temple. To Devi.

Whatever you do, your name is almost the exact same name as a relative of mine. Very nice, this name.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information