Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Differences among the Gods ?

Re: Why Differences among the Gods ?

Namaste. I just now recalled the conversation I had with my teacher when I was very young.

I asked why there were so many different Hindu God/desses and why there are differences between them all.

He said that the Gods were different and numerous because people were all different and numerous and nobody would be able to understand the idea of there being over 4 billion (about 7 bill now) different Gods!

I thought about that for a very long time, then wondered about what was this 'Spiritual Image' we are all supposed to be created in.

Which lead me onto the biggest question of all. If we are nothing but Soul/Spirit, is each Soul exactly the same? Is 'my' Brahman exactly the same as 'your' Brahman? Forget about who is the 'doer'...who is the 'experiencer'?

So, in order to appease the 'tastes' of groups of devotees who admired one form/image of God, society narrowed it down a lot, so that now, we only have Three (Trimurti) and every form/avatar thereof that fell somewhere under the Triumvate, as well as regional Deities like the Sons/Wives of the main Hindu Gods.

Then, society went and started making the Faiths 'Bona Fide' and encouraging more followers.

From the standpoint of Advaita, there is no difference nor similarity whatsoever between the Gods. What is left to define or compare anyway?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Re: Why Differences among the Gods ?

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Uhhh, no. Puranas are only true to the extent that they do not contradict shruti. shruti clearly describes a supreme brahman and subordinate anya-devatas. This has been clearly discussed already.
    Says who Shruti!!

I am inclined to accept such a statement only on account of interpolation or else it is tantamount to say Shree Vyasji did not know Shruti.

Shruti is also clear when it says Eakum sad vipra---

Veda Samhita speaks of 33Devas rest are implied only.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information