Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are gods mortal in Hinduism?

Are gods mortal in Hinduism?

Are devas, like Indra, mortal in Hinduism? I read how an Indra is supposed to die and another one would take his place, and the demon king Bali asked Vishnu if he could be the next Indra in his next life. And in the Mahabharata, a rishi tells Drupada, the father of Draupadi, that the Pandavas all were incarnations of Indra in their past lives from different millenium.
    So, in Hinduism, are gods capable of dying and being reborn in the lower worlds?

Re: Are gods mortal in Hinduism?

Namaste Crane,

Welcome to the forum.

Why not introduce yourself, sit down, have a cup of tea, familiarize yourself with your surroundings, read so many interesting posts in the forum and then ask questions. What is the big rush? Just chill! We will all be here tomorrow also to handle any trivia that comes along.

Pranam.

Namaste King.

In Veda, four realms are revealed: Prithivi (Earth/ Pusan), Dyo (Heaven/ Soma) Apah (Antariksha/ Savitar) and Samudra (Ocean/ Brahmanaspati). When these realms remain connected by "flow of Soma Juice" between them, via Yagna (Sacrifice) by the beings of the realms, the beings are said to remain Immortal.

However, when a realm disconnects from others due to lack of Yagna, its state becomes what is called "Asat". So, Dasyu is the Asat of Prithivi, Vritra of Dyo, Vala of Antariksha, and Pani of Samudra.

One more note: no realm is "higher" or "lower" in the (Immortal) Language of Veda; Asat can happen anywhere. I hope that I am making sense here.

Namaste Crane-Foot King!

You must know the difference between God and a god(deva).

Indra is not what we call God but only a His servant.
    Brahma him-self is not immortal since he is a deva but not God.

Instead Lord Vishnu is God

Pranama,
    Orlando.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    There are many sects/sampradyes/persuasions of Hinduism. So, when you get the urge to answer a question from your Gaudiya Vaishnava perspective, you must state so. Your answer may not be acceptable/palatable to Hindus of different persuasions. GV sect is very restrictive/rigid about the Master/Slave definitions/relationships. Just a friendly reminder.

Pranam.

welcome and good luck choosing sides...

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    Namaste Crane-Foot King!

Indra is not what we call God but only a His servant.
    Brahma him-self is not immortal since he is a deva but not God.

Instead Lord Vishnu is God

Pranama,
    Orlando.
    Just FYI,

Indra is a deva and the english word for deva is God. This translation is not under dispute.

Other usages like demi-god and godhead are very ISKCON specific and as pointed out, it helps if this is specifically stated - to avoid confusion.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Namaste all

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    There are many sects/sampradyes/persuasions of Hinduism. So, when you get the urge to answer a question from your Gaudiya Vaishnava perspective, you must state so.
    Actually I answered from a generic vaishnava perspective: in fact I said Vishnu,not Krishna.

Your answer may not be acceptable/palatable to Hindus of different persuasions.
    You are right.
    Now I will answer Crane-Foot King from a generic hindu perspective.

About the Supreme God/Being/Lord there are three points of view in Hinduism:
    -Shaivas worship Lord Shiva
    -Shakta worship a female Deity(Durga,Parvati,Kali etc)
    -Vaishnavas worship Lord Vishnu or Lord Krishna

I am not sure that in the present day there are no hindus who worship Lord Ganesha as the Supreme God instead that just the son of Lord Shiva.

Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar
    Indra is a deva and the english word for deva is God. This translation is not under dispute.
    OK.But the Supreme God is called:
    -Bhagavan
    -Brahman(Saguna Brahman for the Advaita's followers)
    -Isvara
    -Paramatma

Pranama,
    Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalicharan Tuvij View Post
    Namaste King.

In Veda, four realms are revealed: Prithivi (Earth/ Pusan), Dyo (Heaven/ Soma) Apah (Antariksha/ Savitar) and Samudra (Ocean/ Brahmanaspati). When these realms remain connected by "flow of Soma Juice" between them, via Yagna (Sacrifice) by the beings of the realms, the beings are said to remain Immortal.

However, when a realm disconnects from others due to lack of Yagna, its state becomes what is called "Asat". So, Dasyu is the Asat of Prithivi, Vritra of Dyo, Vala of Antariksha, and Pani of Samudra.

One more note: no realm is "higher" or "lower" in the (Immortal) Language of Veda; Asat can happen anywhere. I hope that I am making sense here.
    Oh, sorry for the mistake. I'm a Buddhist and am used to the Buddhist terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    There are many sects/sampradyes/persuasions of Hinduism. So, when you get the urge to answer a question from your Gaudiya Vaishnava perspective, you must state so. Your answer may not be acceptable/palatable to Hindus of different persuasions. GV sect is very restrictive/rigid about the Master/Slave definitions/relationships. Just a friendly reminder.
    A very wise and necessary advice.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information