Thread: Limits of Meditation?

Limits of Meditation?

Namaste all,

This question will probably have a complicated answer, and there might not be anyone here that can answer it, but I figured I'd try anyway.

Are there limits to what meditation can do for the mind?

I ask because I had an experience today that was troubling.

I saw something political in nature on my Facebook timeline today, and I did everything I could to calm myself down...alternate nostril breathing, silently thinking of a mantra, hiding the post in question, it seemed like I tried everything...and I still experienced the symptoms and hysteria of a panic attack. Even though rationally I was thinking I shouldn't let this get to me, physically I couldn't stop myself. I was terrified as a result!

Maybe there is something else going on here, but I honestly don't know what. Still, it seems even faith has its limits when it comes to reducing my panic level...I don't know what else to do.

Re: Limits of Meditation?

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Webimpulse,

The short answer to my mind, is no; Yet we may limit ourselves through our understanding of what meditation is ...

Your heart is causing this reaction; you can feel it, before it sinks to the stomach.
    Can you remember your breathing at the moment you saw the article?
    If you perceive this event as being in the mind, might I sudgest that this is manas and that we should ask what meditation can do for citta.

The answer lies in dissipating that energy, letting it pass through you, rather than storing it for action; else you need to dissipate in fruitfully.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Namaste.

Yes, there definitely is limits to what meditation can do for the mind.

It sounds to me like 'Relaxation' as opposed to actual 'Meditation' can help you out more here. Then, when you get good at it, you can actually combine both and develop a technique called 'Yoga Nidra'.

Anyway...Facebook...where do I even begin?

Most of my 'stress' comes from online social networks and hearing my daughter go 'OMG, my bestest friend just told me to go kill myself...I am so depressed now, whatever shall I do?'

Unfortunately 'Take a break from the internet for a few days, hun' isn't on that agenda, so I really don't know.

I mean, I am one to talk, but honestly, sometimes this piece of technological 'development' becomes antithesis to our own spiritual advancement and we need time away from that...time to ourselves to love, pamper and nurture our body, mind and spirit...like reading holy books, praying, giving oneself a facial, going and getting massage, doing crossword puzzles etc

It's nice to get away from the PC for a while, go outside, look up at the stars and go 'nope, I haven't forgotten'. There's a huge thunderstorm outside right now I may go and stand in it...

I just let 'what happens, happen' and also having panic disorder, I can't afford to be any other way now. Fatalistic approach? yup, but it helps me sleep better at night.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste Webimpulse,

There aren't limitations to meditation per se, but there are limitations to what your embodied jiva is capable of in its current state. Hysteria and panic can be aided with meditation to some or even a great degree, but in many cases they are ultimately physical ailments that are treated with physical remedies, not necessarily spiritual. Such remedies would include medication, therapy, changes in diet, etc. It is a holistic approach a la Ayurveda. These could develop in a fluid relationship with meditation to lessening, but not necessarily ridding your current consciousness of such a state.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste

If you accept that Parameshwar (God) is a Person, an unlimited Person with unlimited transcendental qualities, a very very kind, compassionate and friendly One, He will lift that limit for you
    We can't lift the limit, but He can.

Then, if God is a neverending ocean in all directions, Facebook is the muddy rain-water that fills up the dent made by a calf's hoofprint in the mud - or far lesser than that.

"attachment to KRshNa brings dettachment** from the world"

** dettachment does not mean indifference, but facing situations by standing apart, although acting dispassionately on any concern without getting emotionally involved. JnAna, then, dawns on the side.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~

_/\_
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste WI,

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Are there limits to what meditation can do for the mind?

I ask because I had an experience today that was troubling.

I saw something political in nature on my Facebook timeline today, and I did everything I could to calm myself down...alternate nostril breathing, silently thinking of a mantra, hiding the post in question, it seemed like I tried everything...and I still experienced the symptoms and hysteria of a panic attack. Even though rationally I was thinking I shouldn't let this get to me, physically I couldn't stop myself. I was terrified as a result!

Maybe there is something else going on here, but I honestly don't know what. Still, it seems even faith has its limits when it comes to reducing my panic level...I don't know what else to do.
    This only means that you are not able to meditate due to agitated mind. Whatever physical exercises you were carrying out help in meditation but they are not meditation in themselves. Meditation is less physical than mental. You have to calm yourself and try to focus single-pointedly. That is why Yama and Niyama are necessary before you can do meditation.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Devotee,

Yama and Niyama...I haven't considered those before. I'm unfamiliar with the concepts, but I do remember there being a thread on them. I'll check it out!

And namaste everyone else,

These are all good suggestions! I think the first step I'm going to take, though, is distancing myself from Facebook for a while, maybe even deactivating my account if it happens again. But I like Smaranam's description of Facebook. Maybe I should print that out and hang it up so I can be reminded of it next time I get panicky as a result of a Facebook post.

maybe your activating too much kundalini in your practice...

just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Yama and Niyama...I haven't considered those before. I'm unfamiliar with the concepts, but I do remember there being a thread on them. I'll check it out!
    http://veda.wikidot.com/ashtanga-yoga

Thread Information