Thread: Lingam variations and protocols?

Lingam variations and protocols?

Namaste everyone,

I have two main questions that I hoped could be clarified here about Shiva lingams.

First: What are the differences between a narmada (stone) lingam, a sphatik (crystal) lingam, and a parad (mercury) lingam? Do they have special characteristics? Which is most potent? Should a certain type not be used by certain people?

And second: If one has to dispose of a lingam for some reason, what is the protocol? I imagine one doesn't merely throw it away...

Any response would be much appreciated.

Pranam
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Re: Lingam variations and protocols?

Quote Originally Posted by Giza View Post
    Namaste everyone,

I have two main questions that I hoped could be clarified here about Shiva lingams.

First: What are the differences between a narmada (stone) lingam, a sphatik (crystal) lingam, and a parad (mercury) lingam? Do they have special characteristics? Which is most potent? Should a certain type not be used by certain people?

And second: If one has to dispose of a lingam for some reason, what is the protocol? I imagine one doesn't merely throw it away...

Any response would be much appreciated.

Pranam
    Namaste.

I honestly don't know much about this, as I never really worshipped (nor took) the Shiva Lingam seriously myself, which was a personal thing. I still have done my fair share of 'worship' though, a very long time ago.

The Shiva Lingam represents 'Atma' or the 'Formless State' of Lord Shiva which is called Mahadeva or Brahman.

The Jyotir Lingam (Lingam of Light) is also a representation of Brahman according to the Puranas and as we all know, the properties of Light means it can be refracted. Physical light gets refracted by a crystal and Spiritual Light gets refracted by the mind. Thus, the Crystal Lingam = Jyotir Lingam. It also represents a huge natural Ice Lingam residing in a cave in Kashmir.

The Stone Lingams usually originate from a sacred and holy source (like Narmada River) and have spiritual/Puranic attachment with the location and sacred texts pertaining to it. They represent the Earth and creation.

I never heard of a Mercury Lingam before, but found this when I went to study it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasalingam

I guess it all depends on your reasons for wanting to worship Shiv Ling.

To dispose of a Lingam, one must perfom prayers to remove it from wherever it is, so as not to make Lord Shiva angry, then return it from whence it came. If somebody gave it to you, you return it saying 'thank you, this has served my needs now, please find another worthy soul'...if it's a stone, return it to the river from whence it came to be where it belongs...if it is a man-made item you bought or don't know what to do with it, donate it to a Shiva Temple and let others worship it.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 22 January 2013 at 12:39 AM.

Thread Information