Thread: Popular Novels in Hindi

Popular Novels in Hindi

Namaste All!

I've begun Hindi lessons again - this time with an instructor and a more structured lesson plan. Things are just beginning and I'm very excited about it.

I want to surround myself with material in Devanagari script so that I can have it as practice as my knowledge increases. I thought perhaps getting a few novels I already loved reading in English, but translated into Hindi, might be fun and useful.

Trouble is, I have searched high and low and the only thing I can find is Harry Potter - which I didn't like enough to finish in English

I know not all books are translated into all languages, so it's possible that the books I'm looking for were just never translated into Hindi. Does anyone know of a source to get regular, contemporary fiction novels in Hindi? PDFs are fine too as I have an e-reader.

Thanks in advance!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Popular Novels in Hindi

Vanakkam,

I think the best when you begin to learn a language is to begin...From the beginning
    Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.
    When I was learning english, I was like, 13 years old ? I wanted to read whole books, but my teacher gave me...An elementary school book, a children story of a crocodile who become friend with a duck.

It may sound stupid, but it was really the best way to be introduced to reading in another language ! Within months I ended up being able to read childrens books to harry potter, and finally contemporary stories for adults.

Well unless you are already comfortable in reading Hindi Sorry, in that case I don't have any suggestion for you...I think I've seen e-books for childrens free at the himalayan academy website, I suppose they have them in the language you seek

Else, try amazon.com or e-bay maybe :/ Haven't seen much books on indian sell websites and where I was in India, except for newspaper. Maybe you can find indian newspaper free online too ?

Sorry for not being able to help more :/

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

No worries, McKitty...

I'm not proficient in reading it yet, and I understand your point about starting small - I've also done a search for children's books in Hindi. The only one I found that I recognize is "The Very Hungry Catapillar".

My copy of the Gita it written English with the opposing side in Hindi, which is something. I was just hoping to find more books I was familiar with. I'll keep asking around/looking.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste,

News in Hindi:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/

Granted it is not the beginner level stuff and understanding the sentences would be a bit difficult. But it can increase your reading ability. Comprehension will come with increase in vocabulary. Personally, I would not touch online Indian Hindi newspapers as you end up getting some nasty viruses. Over time people have mentioned websites which give translation of words. That might be helpful to a degree and a search of the forum should yield the threads that deal with translation. Good luck.

Pranam.

PS Google search gives many sites for translation too. Here is one:
    http://imtranslator.net/translation/...i/translation/

Thanks, Believer!

I will check out those links. I'm always a little wary of online translators because I never know if they are accurate. (Google Translate for one - good for individual words, but not soreliable for sentences. )
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information