Thread: SRIMAD BHAGAVATHAM FIFTH CANTO

SRIMAD BHAGAVATHAM FIFTH CANTO

HARE KRISHNA ,
    In Srimad Bhagavatham fifth canto the entire universe has been explained.Has anyone got the chart of the universe?

Re: SRIMAD BHAGAVATHAM FIFTH CANTO

This one is very difficult to understand. I guess almost all Puranas carry more or less the same picture of the universe. One thing is for sure that it depicts a Bhu Mandala much bigger than the earth to include more subtle spheres. To those realms of the Devas it is impossible for any normal person to travel. For e.g. even though one may think that Mt Kailasha is here, there may be more to it than we see. No one is able to spot even sadhus of the Himalayas, let alone Lord Shiva.

I think one SriVaishnava Acharya of this century or before drafted a complete model of the universe based on the Bhagavatam. I think it requires a great amount of wisdom to be able to attempt to plot one.

But the fascinating thing is how the Vedas have been unique in this regard. For us the universe didn't start 5000 years back, but only Kali Yuga did. There was only one source: Prakriti from which all achit:matter and energy of various forms manifested..something appreciated only after Einstein found the matter to energy relation I guess. The Bharata has a description of Arjuna's travel with Sri Krishna to Vaikuntha they go through regions where sun and moon can't be seen and only stars can be.

Namaste

I know you wanted an actual "chart" per say, and this isn't what you wanted - BUT .... ISKCON is building such in an entire complex, see the link below for information:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1435661

Quote: Temple of the Vedic Planetarium

"What’s so special about the TOVP? Well, it was back in the 1970s that ISKCON’s founder Srila Prabhupada first expressed his desire to build a Vedic Planetarium at his society’s headquarters in Mayapur, India. “Within the planetarium we will construct a huge, detailed model of the universe as described in the text of the fifth canto of Srimad Bhagavatam,” he said.
    Of course, as with everything he did, Srila Prabhupada was acting in fulfillment of the desires of previous spiritual teachers. A grand temple for Mayapur was predicted by none other than Lord Nityananda, the most intimate associate of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, some five hundred years ago. Speaking to Srila Jiva Goswami, the Lord said:
    “When our Lord Chaitanya disappears, by His desire, the Ganges will swell. The Ganges water will almost cover Mayapur for a hundred years, and then the water will again recede. For some time only the place will remain, devoid of houses. Then again, by the Lord’s desire, this place will again be manifest, and the devotees will build temples of the Lord. One exceedingly wonderful temple (adbhuta-mandira) will appear from which Gauranga’s eternal service will be preached everywhere.”
    Srila Prabhupada wanted this great temple to have a specific look. In July 1976, during a visit to Washington D.C., he instructed Yadubara Dasa and Visakha Dasi to take photographs of the domed Capitol building there, as a basis for the TOVP. And in the early days of ISKCON in London, he gave further detailed instructions on what different parts of the temple should look like, directing many senior devotees make drawings and models of the building."

--- OTHER ---

I know I have seen what you describe with my eyes viz SB 5th Canto "Map" of the universe back in the 1970's. So it does exist. Maybe I will find it.

Om Namah Sivaya

Kali yuga is a very power limited time, even for great devotees, so the idea of being as strong as Bhimasena or as free travelling as Narada Muni, must be looked upon as a fantasy only. Space travel for us , even the Devotees among us, does not go much further than Aeroplanes, or at best Space Rockets.Without the sacred mystical powers of Bygone era's who among us could make it further than the Moon, or maybe Mars - at best. I don't think we're ready for the truth of the U.F.O. phenomena , such secrets cause Murder in our society. Still , if Krsna can thread the Elephant through the eye of a needle, He could indeed cause Space travel , but maybe only for his Pure devotees.

Thread Information