Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: living in India: serious questions

living in India: serious questions

Vanakkam everyone,

I am seriously considering working in India, maybe next year, or maybe more, it'll depend if I find work or not.
    Anyway, I really would like people currently living in India to help me with some questions, if you don't mind.

First of all: why India ?

No, this is not only because I admire culture and love Tamil Nadu. India (an south east asia) is becoming a very interesting location, even a future leader in the software/videogame industry. While India and South east asia are very well known for having top ingeneers (exactly what we lack in the west in the videogame industry...) they don't have much creatives. And they need them. And this is precisely my work, to be creative.

Everyone in my class, and in my country in general, tend to have two choices:

-staying in France and trying to find a junior poorly paid job because they don't want/can't leave the country.

-Emigrating to the us/canada and test their luck. This is random: you are the best, you have a job. You aren't the best, the market is saturated.

Why following everyone that fight for going trough the tiny door when I see dream job offerings in India/south east asia ? I understand for most people around me that asia is not the "american dream": different culture, language, poverty .... But this is my "asian dream".

And I'm like that: I see an opportunity, I take it. Even if it means leaving my friends and family behind...And they are completely supportive.

Considerations:

The above doesn't mean I am going to run carelessly to the first plane taking the first job. This is something I have to plan, and something I can't plan alone.

- Immigration for work in India, how does it works ?
    - Finding a place to live, how does it works ?
    - Salary ? How much money I need to live decently ?
    - Security, can I live in a normal, popular neighbourhood ?
    - white female living alone, should I expect problems ?
    - Can I expect equality and respect in my job as a woman ?
    - Is there specifics laws about work in India ? In my country for exemple, every people that work are protected by law against abusive firing and abuses in their workplaces. Is there an equivalent ? Where can I learn about it ?
    - Is there some specifics websites or places (other than the indian embassy) where I can learn useful things ?
    - What should I absolutely be aware of before considering living in India ?

I realize it can be difficult to answer those questions without knowing a little context....So, if it helps :

- I don't drive, but considering India have a very good bus/train/rickshaw coverage, is it a problem ?
    - I don't drink, I don't party late at night.
    - I dress decently every day, and have no problem wearing indian clothes if I have to.
    - I can adapt to the food without any problem.
    - I do not expect to live the grand life in a fancy residence or something like that: a room, a bathroom, food, water, clothes, my computer....I just want to live simple.

If you have any problem just let me know, I can correct them or add details

Thank you very much

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Re: living in India: serious questions

McKitty,

Hopefully you will not be upset at me being the first person to respond but to give hardly 1 answer to your questions. First of all, I admired the way you put forth so many questions, all very valid and thoroughly covers every aspect of living in a foreign country. Shows a good Software professional/logician I wish you good luck in finding a wonderful job in India/Chennai.

Regarding how much money might make you live comfortably, giving a very small savings besides your expenses, I thought making Rs. 25,000 / month might be good enough considering you are a single person.

I know that most starting salaries at Software jobs are around Rs. 20,000, so it might be very easy for you to get a much higher pay than this, 'cause I've followed your posts and I am assuming you have been working in Software/gaming industry for quite some time. (Experienced people might expect a pay of around Rs. 8,00,000/annum I think..)

Hope this has been a bit helpful.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vanakkam Aspirant _/\_

I am not upset, on the contrary, I'm open to every opinion and I like to read you ^^

Thank you for answering

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Regarding how much money might make you live comfortably, giving a very small savings besides your expenses, I thought making Rs. 25,000 / month might be good enough considering you are a single person.
    I don't really know the price of food etc... But I believe you can live good with such a salary I guess. It's hard to tell, for example in my country food is very expensive, but I noticed it was way less expensive to get food in India.
    20 000 Rs is around...200euros in my country. You can't even have a place to sleep with this ahah

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    'cause I've followed your posts and I am assuming you have been working in Software/gaming industry for quite some time. (Experienced people might expect a pay of around Rs. 8,00,000/annum I think..)
    Actually I'm still a junior, as the experience I've had 'till now was student job, internship or courses. (a masterclass at Seatlle, and a 2 month job at the airport when I went from secretary to...chief's architect/designer associate don't ask how I did this, I just love doing my best)

My speciality is graphism: 3D, 2D, animation, all this kind of stuff. I'm still a junior, but I'm motivated and have very good presentation skills, so I rely fully on an interview to show that, if a studio gives me the opportunity of a job, then I'll become a beast.

We have a school in Pune, and many students from my school have been there. The teachers there too always say the same things: in this industry, in India, they have great ingeneers, great people able to prevent and solve difficult technical problems and all this kind of stuff...But they lack creative people like graphists. I hope it's the chance for me to find a way there

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    20 000 Rs is around...200euros in my country. You can't even have a place to sleep with this ahah
    Well, in my husband's family, my elder sister-in-law's all 3 kids went into Electronics Engineering and found way into the Software fields as Programmers in India. They are quite recent graduates (within past 5 yrs, one of them last year) and all of them earned a starting salary of Rs. 20,000. And, in Chennai, you can rent a decent apartment (no idea about renting a single room) for Rs. 10,000 in a good locality, given that since you are a single person, you won't need more than a single bedroom unit. And I gave Rs. 10000 for food and major expenses such as conveyance + Rs. 5000 for small unforeseen expenses. This could do in Chennai but no idea about places as Pune.

Actually I'm still a junior, as the experience I've had 'till now was student job, internship or courses. (a masterclass at Seatlle, and a 2 month job at the airport when I went from secretary to...chief's architect/designer associate don't ask how I did this, I just love doing my best)

My speciality is graphism: 3D, 2D, animation, all this kind of stuff. I'm still a junior, but I'm motivated and have very good presentation skills, so I rely fully on an interview to show that, if a studio gives me the opportunity of a job, then I'll become a beast.
    Your description seems to qualify for a starting engineer. But with great enthusiasm, and presentation skills, your internships will weigh a lot. IMO, in general, in India, degree is given a lot of weightage than here in US - take me for an example, although I qualified in IT after coming to USA, my undergraduation is not in Computer Science and I did find a job as a Programmer, initially in 1997. I can't even imagine to find a Programmer job in India with a non-IT undergraduation as mine, even with IT boom. So your degree, and your internship and presentation skills will definitely be given significant weightage in India. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Viraja; 27 January 2013 at 04:54 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam McKitty

I'm amazed. Actually I'm jealous. Ok nevermind. Haha...

I think living in Chennai would be a wonderful experience for you. If you really like Indian/Tamil culture, then there's nothing better than living right at the heart of it in India. Imagine the endless amount of temples there for you to visit. It's just enchanting. I get excited just thinking of that idea myself.

Since I don't live in India, I can't really give you much advice. Sorry about that. But about living alone, if I can humbly suggest, I'd advice you not to do that yet. Maybe you can try finding other girls who need housemates, but each with their own set of rooms for privacy? Or maybe staying with a family? You might not have all the privacy you want, but safety is much more assured in that way compared to living alone. Doesn't matter if it's a decent area or a not-so-decent one. I don't think it's advisable to live alone there until you're really, really familiar with your surroundings and the lifestyle/habits of the locals.

(a masterclass at Seatlle, and a 2 month job at the airport when I went from secretary to...chief's architect/designer associate don't ask how I did this, I just love doing my best)

Great! That's how it should be, doing what you love and being good at it. Most people lack motivation/focus these days.

Anyway, weigh all the pros and cons about this decision thoroughly, and then decide how to overcome the cons. When there's a will, there's a way! All the best in your studies/job and have a good time in India once you've made up your mind.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste

There are so many of the French people who have "eastern minds". Why is this? I do not know. But it is true.

You are one of them.

You will weigh the pros and cons, the benefits and consequences. If you decide to go, and want to go, and there is the chance to go, then go to India. You are looking at South India. Of course. Many are now looking. We live in a world of electric light that travels on the infrastructure of technology. South India is becoming a renaissance center of those who program this light and electricity. It isn't surprising. That they are making it move by means of what we call languages, be it programming languages or the many mother tongues. As if they move this light, here and there, as Shiva holds the Flame and dances.

If it cannot be that you can go now and live, then now you should invest just a little money each month. And then one day, when you are old, you will be rich, and you can go there to retire. All things are possible.

Om Namah Sivaya

First, I want to whole heartedly encourage you to go if there's anyway you can financially pull it off. You're young with no kids, so that makes it easier. Even if things "go bad", you have time in your life to start over and hopefully supportive family and friends who can take you in should you happen to need them.

I don't know anything about living abroad in India, but I'm also in the creative industry so I have some career advice...

I would research to see if India's Gaming industry does any creative outsourcing to other nations like China. This might sound unlikely - how can you outsource creativity? Well, I've discovered that people can and do. There's a large industry in China of companies that hire all kinds of artists, pay them low wages and sell their work abroad. (gaming industry included)

The reason I bring this up is that if India does this, you will be competing with those outsourced companies. So I recommend doing research on that before you go. I suppose also, it would be wise to have a job lined up before you go, so perhaps that advice isn't warranted but I feel like it's always good to be informed of employment trends.

It could also be the pessimistic American in me talking too - you can't discount that

I honestly hope you can go =) My husband and I have an opportunity to live in Ireland, but will likely have to turn it down for various personal reasons, and it breaks my heart, so I'm really pulling for you!

You are asking the right questions. That's a good start. I really hope you can go!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    If it cannot be that you can go now and live, then now you should invest just a little money each month. And then one day, when you are old, you will be rich, and you can go there to retire.
    What? Have you gone into the business of planning people's lives - from a mere 20 year old single person in France to a rich, retired old lady living in India?

Pranam.

McKitty, there are two things you should probably bear in mind before you make this move.

1) The air pollution is unbearable. Plan to live on the outskirts rather than in the middle of the big city if possible. Otherwise consider bringing some air filtration masks.

2) If you truly are a 20-year-old female, you will almost certainly be the victim of Eve-teasing, no matter how conservatively you dress.

There are certainly some very nice and spiritually uplifting parts of India, but quite a few ugly things as well (true of everywhere, no doubt).
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

India has worst record for women safety, and I will not suggest this bold move unless you have strong friends and connections here. Just being practical. You being in 20s is a good thing, IMO as you can try things and not get hurt with failures there will be a next time, which not an option for some of us who have crossed 30 and "trapped" with family and kids ;p
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Thread Information