Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions on Karma

Re: Questions on Karma

Quote Originally Posted by shiv.somashekhar View Post
    With all due respect, this does not meet the basic test of logic 101. This statement is as ridiculous as -

"Wundermonk can hold any belief he likes within the confines of his home but the moment he opens his mouth in public to claim that "Santa Claus is not real" the burden of proof faces him straight in the face".

And yet, you missed the fundamentals and contradicted yourself. The theist made the claim and the Carvaka rejects it for lack of evidence. The Carvaka has *nothing* to prove here - not unless you agree with your own absurd Santa Claus logic above.

Please take the time to read about "argumentum ad ignorantiam", Philosophic burden of proof and Russell's celestial teapot.

To be more clear, my exact statement was - The Lokayata position is to not accept anything without evidence and therefore they rejected the concept of a soul, which was entirely based on faith.

Lokayata makes no claims; they only reject claims that cannot be proven - a point that you clearly missed. Feel free to prove otherwise.
    With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to making claims, logic and ensuing burdens of proof.

Here is a snippet of video that you may learn from.

re original post...

Karma involves the overt and hidden laws of the cosmos...of how it functions. In that sense there is a science to it.

Karma, ultimately, is in the hands of God, who is a fully conscious being, omniscient and omnipotent.

In other words, we can not manipulate God, He knows all, sees all and responds to all.

Karma absolutely involves both action and intention.

If we intend to do good, but wind up failing and making things worse for others and ourselves, God certainly knows that we tried to do the opposite.

Karma will accrue if our actions cause harm to others. That is so even if the intent is good. However, that Karma is mitigated by the good intent.

Life is action. We are, no matter what, going to stumble and engage in actions which do result in harming others. However, our meditation, prayer, charity, volunteer work and all aspects of the spiritual life purify bad karma.

So, if we have done something that has resulted in harm to others, we should pray for forgiveness, pray for those that have been harmed, try to redress the situation if we can...and then move on and continue to try to do good.

It is very important in the spiritual life to consciously engage actions which directly, overtly, help others. We should directly give to the poor, engage in all manner of kindness, courtesy, caring, and giving. Because of the situations we find ourselves in, in life...if we don't consciously do a tremendous amount of good, we will be dragged down by poor karma.

If our employment engages us in negative situations...whether it is selling insurance to widows who can't afford it...or whatever other ignorance that exists in the world...by all means run away from these actions with all speed. If you can't and are entangled, do the best you can. By, yes, absolutely try to purify and spiritualize all your activities, to maximize your karma.

We have a soul. We must serve that. Balance is good, but the general entangled mess most folks engage is a huge karmic impediment.

(here is the gist of a story, details are a little foggy in my memory, but this is the gist) ---

Upon hearing that an aspirant was a lawyer, Sri Ramakrishna basically moaned in agony.

Funny as a joke, I guess...but the immoral behavior involved in many jobs is not a joke, by any means.

Namaste All,
    After a long break here is my post. I have the following questions on Karma.

In karma - the action is important or volition/intention is important? Which one leads to what? Like if my volition is good but action is bad will I accrue bad karma or vice versa?

Karma seems very elusive. Is it the same as Buddha taught - 'as you sow shall you reap'?

Which schools of Indian philosophy refute karma (I forgot..read somewhere)? In such cases how do they explain creation or death and rebirth? (assuming they believe in those things)

This might seem puny for many here but requesting answers from experts

Thanks

Namaste Surya,

Quote Originally Posted by SuryaVedanta754 View Post
    In karma - the action is important or volition/intention is important? Which one leads to what? Like if my volition is good but action is bad will I accrue bad karma or vice versa?
    Karma seems very elusive. Is it the same as Buddha taught - 'as you sow shall you reap'?
    It is your thoughts/intention which are solely responsible for a Karma to be bad or good, even though Karma is performed by Mind (thoughts), physical action and verbal expression.

Bhagwad Gita teaches us the essence of Karma and how it functions. Actually, the highest Truth is that there is no Karma because all actions are done by Prakriti and its three bgunas (Ref : Bhafgwad Gita). So, if a Jeeva's 'i' dissolves into one-ness with Brahman (in SamAdhi) and all differentiation is dropped i.e. ahamkaar is dropped, all Karmas are burnt. That is why Lord Krishna says in Bhagwad Gita :

0. (In fact) All actions in all forms are performed by gunas of Nature (Prakriti) alone the deluded being due to its Ahamkaar (feeling of having a separate existence as a being) thinks that he is the doer (and thus takes the Karma on itself) (BG 3.27)

1. He who sees inaction (akarma) in action (karma) and action in inaction, is wise among the men and he is Yogi and he is the doer of all actions. (BG 4.18)

2. He who indulges in karma without desires and attachment to results and whose all Karma are burnt in fire of JnAna (Knowledge of the Truth or Self-realisation) ... is called the "Pandita" (the knower) by even the wise people. (BG 4.19)

3. He who indulges in action without any attachment to action or its results actually doesn't indulges in any action even though performing the action fully involved. (BG 4.20)

4. The way fire burns down the fire-wood and turns it into ashes, in the same way JnAna (Self-realisation) burns down all Karma without leaving a trace. (BG 4.37)

5. There is nothing in this world as purifying as the JnAna (Self-realisation) (BG 4.38)

Which schools of Indian philosophy refute karma (I forgot..read somewhere)? In such cases how do they explain creation or death and rebirth? (assuming they believe in those things)
    The ChArvAks don't believe in re-births and therefore, there is no concept of Karma in that philosophy. All births and deaths are simply due to laws of nature in action. The one who is born doesn't take birth again. Whatever happens to the person in his life is just based on chances and there is no karma or karmaphala and there is no God either.

OM
    Last edited by devotee; 13 January 2014 at 05:45 AM.
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information