Thread: A Professional Guide to Hinduism

A Professional Guide to Hinduism

Namaste,
    I am relatively a newcomer into serious appraisal of religion especially Hinduism. From some of my posts, you may have found that I do know a lot of basics about the religion, like who the Gods are and some of their personality, caste systems etc. But since I have been a member of this forum I have heard many new words that i dont know about for example puranas, avatara,ninguna are a few.

they sound like more scriptures like the Gita, which is the only book i take upon reading.

I'm wondering if someone has some kind of structured guide in undestanding religion chronologically? Which characters and lessons should be learned about first and stuff like that.

Om Namah Shivaya,
    Zardozi

Re: A Professional Guide to Hinduism

Quote Originally Posted by Zardozi View Post
    Namaste,
    I am relatively a newcomer into serious appraisal of religion especially Hinduism. From some of my posts, you may have found that I do know a lot of basics about the religion, like who the Gods are and some of their personality, caste systems etc. But since I have been a member of this forum I have heard many new words that i dont know about for example puranas, avatara,ninguna are a few.

they sound like more scriptures like the Gita, which is the only book i take upon reading.

I'm wondering if someone has some kind of structured guide in undestanding religion chronologically? Which characters and lessons should be learned about first and stuff like that.

Om Namah Shivaya,
    Zardozi
    Namaste Zardozi,

Continue to read the Bhagavad-Gita, Zardozi – much of Vedanta (Upanishadic teachings) is concisely summarized in the Gita.

Are you looking for a book to understand Hinduism, or are you looking for a lexicon of terminology?

If you’re looking for a lexicon/dictionary of terms, try these links:

Hinduism’s Online Lexicon
    Hindu Encyclopedia of Mythological Words
    Shaivam Glossary
    Advaita Vedanta Dictionary of Sanskrit Spiritual Words
    Vahini.org Glossary
    ISKCON's Heart of Hinduism Glossary

If you’re looking for a book to understand Hinduism, I’ve heard that the Idiot’s Guide to Hinduism is a good place to start for a beginner, but I know you're not a beginner and already know your basic Hinduism.

There’s also the book: The Essentials of Hinduism by Swami Bhaskarananda. I’ve never heard anything about this book, but glancing at the index, it looks like it summarizes many of the basics.

Also you may find the first chapter (Upanishad One) of Dancing with Shiva useful for basic Hinduism, the rest of the chapters are specific to Shaivite Hinduism. This one is available for online reading.

Good luck with your journey.

OM Namah Shivaya.
    A.

Ram ram Agnideva,
    Yes a lexicon is what i am looking for about terminology. But also what I think I am looking for is some kind of chronological story that correlates and combines everything/One into one.

Om Namah Shivaya,
    Zardozi

Quote Originally Posted by Zardozi View Post
    Ram ram Agnideva,
    Yes a lexicon is what i am looking for about terminology. But also what I think I am looking for is some kind of chronological story that correlates and combines everything/One into one.

Om Namah Shivaya,
    Zardozi

I think that is a matter of experience and practice.

Meditate - you'd be amazed what you already know!

Namaste,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Namaste Zardozi,

Hindu Dharma by Bansi Pandit is a comprehensive work with some history, though it is a primer. It can be downloaded at:
    http://www.ikashmir.net/hindudharma/doc/hindudharma.pdf

As for other Hindu Websites you might have a look at:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

and this thread:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=498

Namaste,
    Those were some interesting lines. After putting more thought into this, I think what I'm looking for is a correlated order of chronology ( already made ) for the Divine beings. After all, I'm assuming they all at one point or another lived on this Earth in India, Right? This was when the use of majic or black majic was apparent? If so What happened to it?

Masti Nam,
    Zardozi

I think that is a matter of experience and practice.
    Meditate - you'd be amazed what you already know!
    Wow. Knowledge is.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information