Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goddess Saraswati

Light Goddess Saraswati

Namaste all,

I'm creating this thread because I would like to know more about the Goddess Saraswati. As I was meditating today I had a peculiar vision - against the background of my eyelids I thought I could make out a bird of some kind, its wings flapping towards me. I thought it was a swan upon looking at it further, and at that very moment, my mind was flooded with thoughts of the Goddess Saraswati!

The rest of my meditation session was filled with thoughts of Saraswati, and as I emerged from it, for some reason I had the crazy idea that She might be my Ishta Devata instead of Ganesha.

Now I know all Gods in Hinduism are manifestations of the One Supreme, so I know I shouldn't think of Saraswati as being a separate Goddess. With all Gods being different forms of the One, I also know it's not "blasphemous" to switch whichever form you worship as your Ishta Devata. And according to Art of Living teachings (I follow H.H. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar in case you don't know) such visions should not have too much importance attached to them.

But the key there, at least to me, is not too much...I still think this warrants some consideration, without letting it totally affect my mind. Maybe I'm at a phase of my life now where the form of Goddess Saraswati might be more beneficial to my spiritual progress than the form of Lord Ganesha? Hinduism teaches there is more than one path to moksha, so maybe this path might be the best one for me now? I'm not 100% sure.

That's why I want to know more about Goddess Saraswati. If someone can point out some good sources on Her, I would appreciate it.

Re: Goddess Saraswati

Namaste Webimpulse

I you don't mind me asking, what was the colour of the lotus She was upon when you had this vision(s)?

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste all,

I'm creating this thread because I would like to know more about the Goddess Saraswati. As I was meditating today I had a peculiar vision - against the background of my eyelids I thought I could make out a bird of some kind, its wings flapping towards me. I thought it was a swan upon looking at it further, and at that very moment, my mind was flooded with thoughts of the Goddess Saraswati!

The rest of my meditation session was filled with thoughts of Saraswati, and as I emerged from it, for some reason I had the crazy idea that She might be my Ishta Devata instead of Ganesha.

Now I know all Gods in Hinduism are manifestations of the One Supreme, so I know I shouldn't think of Saraswati as being a separate Goddess. With all Gods being different forms of the One, I also know it's not "blasphemous" to switch whichever form you worship as your Ishta Devata. And according to Art of Living teachings (I follow H.H. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar in case you don't know) such visions should not have too much importance attached to them.

But the key there, at least to me, is not too much...I still think this warrants some consideration, without letting it totally affect my mind. Maybe I'm at a phase of my life now where the form of Goddess Saraswati might be more beneficial to my spiritual progress than the form of Lord Ganesha? Hinduism teaches there is more than one path to moksha, so maybe this path might be the best one for me now? I'm not 100% sure.

That's why I want to know more about Goddess Saraswati. If someone can point out some good sources on Her, I would appreciate it.
    Namaste. Being a Shiva Bhakt, I know little about this. I can only give my own interpretation on it.

To/for me, Goddess Saraswati is like the ultimate 'Divine Muse'. She is the Holy Goddess of Learning, Knowledge, Study and The Arts. If you want to excel in educational matters or the Arts, it's to Goddess Saraswati that you pray.

Goddess Saraswati is also the 'Goddess of Inspiration'...so if you are stuck writing a story, song, cannot remember lines or things like that then She will assist you. Goddess Saraswati is very kind and benevolent. She is the Divine Consort of Lord Brahma and also holds the key to Sacred Knowledge through her mount, the Divine Swan called Hamsa.

I touched on this briefly in another thread. Hamsa means a few things. It means 'swan' it means 'discrimination' (I have more accurately translated it as 'discernation'), it means 'Soham' or "I Am' if you say it over and over.

The Swan also represents pride and narcissistic tendencies within a person (do you remember the 'Ugly Duckling' story)?

If the vision of the Swan led you to feel the Divine Prescence of Goddess Saraswati, that's awesome!! I don't know how much you can think of it as a 'meaningful experience' though, unless it has shaken you to the very core and turned your whole belief systems inside out...then you'll definitely know this. Look at Her picture and don't try and think or rationalise, just feel. Same with Lord Ganesha.

There's also no harm, opposition or conflict with worshipping both these Holy Deities, Goddess Saraswati and Lord Ganesha together and many Hindus do just that...to remove obstacles from their educational and artistic pursuits.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste Webimpulse

I you don't mind me asking, what was the colour of the lotus She was upon when you had this vision(s)?

Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste ShivaFan,

To be honest...I don't clearly remember. I know Her throne is a white lotus, from when I looked up some basic info on Her from Google, but I can't clearly remember if I saw Her on a white lotus. Sorry.

And namaste Necromancer,

I'll get to your response soon, but it's almost 3 AM where I am here and I need to head to bed.

Namaste. Take your time and go rest. Let your reply be one that you sleep on.

I wish you peace and pleasant dreams.

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Namaste WebImpulse

Veda VyAsa muni, the compiler of our Vedas into four, and author of purAN, says we must first take blessings from Nar-NArAyaN Rshi (Arjun-KRshNa/NArAyaN (VishNu)), ved-vyAs and Goddess Saraswati, before beginning the study of scriptures (smRti at least).

nArAyaNam namaskRtyam naram chaiva (cha + eva) narottamam
    devim saraswatim vyAsam tatho jayam udIrayet || Shrimad BhAgavatam 1.1.? ||

So it looks like this was a hint for you to start the studying

_/\_

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste once more,

My life seems to have taken a turn for the better, or at the very least more interesting (in a positive way), ever since I've had this vision of Goddess Saraswati...

For instance, my day job has changed significantly - instead of doing (monotonous) data entry, now I'm managing the social media sites (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, etc.) for the company I work for!

My mind has also been...aided in subtle ways, I've noticed. There was one difficult situation I had to face today, and after some time away from it, just as I was despairing I thought of a way to face it. I don't want to go into specifics, but it seemed to work. And lastly, I was inspired to send a query for an article to a popular magazine...it'll be a while before I hear back on it, and it could be denied, but I figured I could try.

Looking back on it all, this may sound vain, but...I think all this might be the doing of Goddess Saraswati...or maybe it's all coincidence. I honestly don't know. But it certainly makes me feel better to believe that She had a hand in all this...and perhaps She did. I have no way to be certain.

What do you folks think?

Namaste Webimpulse

Hinduism is an experience. That means it is much more than simply rituals... it includes all and every imaginable life and living communion, I for one absolutely know the Devas and Devi are real, and there are countless who have communion with a Devata.

So it could very well be true, and if I may ask, do you sing bhajans to Saraswati Devi? You will definetly feel Her presence and in some cases may have a communion with Her apiration but it may not be what is expected. For example, to devotees and yogis and saints of Kali Maa, She has stepped to them in the form of a young girl. Saraswati may appear to you in the form of a book. Whatever the case, if you are having this connection to Her the Goddess of Learning, then you should "strike while the iron is hot" and for sure She will make it Known even if in a calm happiness in your very home. She may have come, you should try and call Her. A little Bhakti never hurts.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste once more,

My life seems to have taken a turn for the better, or at the very least more interesting (in a positive way), ever since I've had this vision of Goddess Saraswati...

For instance, my day job has changed significantly - instead of doing (monotonous) data entry, now I'm managing the social media sites (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, etc.) for the company I work for!

My mind has also been...aided in subtle ways, I've noticed. There was one difficult situation I had to face today, and after some time away from it, just as I was despairing I thought of a way to face it. I don't want to go into specifics, but it seemed to work. And lastly, I was inspired to send a query for an article to a popular magazine...it'll be a while before I hear back on it, and it could be denied, but I figured I could try.

Looking back on it all, this may sound vain, but...I think all this might be the doing of Goddess Saraswati...or maybe it's all coincidence. I honestly don't know. But it certainly makes me feel better to believe that She had a hand in all this...and perhaps She did. I have no way to be certain.

What do you folks think?
    Once you have fully opened your heart and mind to your personal Ishwara(s) and developed a loving relationship with Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu, Goddess Saraswati or w/e, you get to play 'fun games' with Them.

Like, I sometimes think Lord Shiva is 'not there' and being cross with me for something I have/not done and is ignoring me...so, sometimes when I pray, I will actually 'talk' to Lord Shiva in exactly the same way as I would speak with my friend...there's nothing limiting my Divine Worship to the formal (evern though most of it is).

So, I pray and say something like 'okay, so what have I done now and why are You ignoring me? If You want some 'space' then fine!...just give me a 'sign' to let me know You are hearing me'..

Then you walk out the front door and a bus passes with a huge sign on it reading: "Here at 'Space Solutions' we listen to you". Then you laugh...in the middle of a crowded bus stop, you break down just urinating yourself, leaving others to think you have gone stark raving mad.

It's no coincidence. Once you have immersed yourself in God/dess, there's no such word anymore. It's all Love...it's Grace...

Just keep being open and receptive to Mother Saraswati. She'll guide you in a nice way.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste Webimpulse

Hinduism is an experience. That means it is much more than simply rituals... it includes all and every imaginable life and living communion, I for one absolutely know the Devas and Devi are real, and there are countless who have communion with a Devata.

So it could very well be true, and if I may ask, do you sing bhajans to Saraswati Devi?
    Namaste ShivaFan,

No, I don't sing any bhajans to Saraswati Devi (yet), for the reason that I don't know any...and with my lack of knowledge of how to pronounce things in Sanskrit or Hindi I might end up butchering said bhajans. Maybe if there are bhajans with pronunciation guides out there I could give it a try?

And namaste Necromancer,

That is a very good point to consider. It's just that I don't really know how to interpret these signs sometimes...they don't really clearly tell me if I've done right or wrong, or even what actions I should pay attention to...that's my issue when I try to consider signs. I have no doubt that there are signs...they're just in a format I don't clearly understand.

Lastly, namaste Smaranam,

Don't worry, I have not forgotten you. In fact I've started reading the Ramesh Menon translation of the Ramayana as I've mentioned in another thread. Perhaps it's a hint I should read more of it, though.
    Last edited by Webimpulse; 02 February 2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added reply to Smaranam.

Thread Information