Thread: Charity and Love each other

Charity and Love each other

Vanakkam,

Need quotation from any Hindu Scripture about Charity, love each other, caring for sick people, caring for the poor, etc

Thank You

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Re: Charity and Love each other

Namaste

Charity - Lord KRshNa says in Bhagavad Gita:
    BG 17.20: Charity given out of duty, without expectation of return, at the proper time and place, and to a worthy person is considered to be in the mode of goodness.
    BG 17.21: But charity performed with the expectation of some return, or with a desire for fruitive results, or in a grudging mood, is said to be charity in the mode of passion.
    BG 17.22: And charity performed at an impure place, at an improper time, to unworthy persons, or without proper attention and respect is said to be in the mode of ignorance.

Love all beings
    In Shrimad BhAgvat MahApurAN, Shri KRshNa says:
    SB 11.29.12: With a pure heart one should see Me, the Supreme Soul within all beings and also within oneself, to be both unblemished by anything material and also present everywhere, both externally and internally, just like the omnipresent sky.
    SB 11.29.13-14: O brilliant Uddhava, one who thus views all living entities with the idea that I am present within each of them, and who by taking shelter of this divine knowledge offers due respect to everyone, is considered actually wise. Such a man sees equally the brāhmaṇa and the outcaste, the thief and the charitable promoter of brahminical culture, the sun and the tiny sparks of fire, the gentle and the cruel.
    SB 11.29.15: For him who constantly meditates upon My presence within all persons, the bad tendencies of rivalry, envy and abusiveness, along with false ego, are very quickly destroyed

In Bh. Gita BhagavAn Shri KRshNa says:
    BG 12.13-14: One who is not envious but is a kind friend to all living entities, who does not think himself a proprietor and is free from false ego, who is equal in both happiness and distress, who is tolerant, always satisfied, self-controlled, and engaged in devotional service with determination, his mind and intelligence fixed on Me — such a devotee of Mine is very dear to Me.
    BG 12.15: He for whom no one is put into difficulty and who is not disturbed by anyone, who is equipoised in happiness and distress, fear and anxiety, is very dear to Me.
    BG 12.18-19: One who is equal to friends and enemies, who is equipoised in honor and dishonor, heat and cold, happiness and distress, fame and infamy, who is always free from contaminating association, always silent and satisfied with anything, who doesn't care for any residence, who is fixed in knowledge and who is engaged in devotional service — such a person is very dear to Me.

Compassion towards sick and poor:
    If you love all beings, not just humans, as Parmeshwar lives in them, compassion follows automatically, & it may manifest in various forms. You may be a hitachintak (well-wisher) but the other person may not understand, may think you are being mean or causing disturbance.

The purANs are full of stories showing compassion for sick and poor. The entire SanAtan dharma is based on ahimsA and compassion towards people and animals. Why did the Rshis perform yajn~as? To prevent hunger and sickness.

People can be sick, poor, hungry - materially and spiritually
    Practically all spiritual leaders and organizations in Hindu Sanatan Dharma, are ever busy extending compassionate hands - to feed poor, heal sick, educate masses, protect cows, spread vegetarianism, and impart spirtual knowledge.

Compassion is a primary quality in BhagavAn, the Supreme, so we inherit it in degrees.
    BhagavAn is so so so compassionate that He constantly works with the devotee till the devotee overcomes material obstacles. Bhagavad Gita is an example of His compassion "Out of compassion I destroy My devotees' ignorance via light of knowledge"
    People follow KRshNa's example. Despite being transcendental to material nature, tears well in His eyes seeing devotees in distress, being harrassed, in danger, trouble ... and the bhakta-vatsal BhagvAn runs to the devotee.
    If you read Hari KathA (KRshNa kathA) or other purANs on Shiva, Devi, you will find numerous examples - Vrajvasis, Devaki-Vasudev, Gajendra, and many many many - all devotees till date have this experience. I could just go on.
    Narad Muni says Bhagvan is never with Lakshmi (or RukmiNi), He is with the devotee.

Arjun was compassionate to his enemies who had taken advantage of the Pandav's goodness, who were wicked cruel and vicious. He was compassionate to his elders and gurus who participated in was on the enemy side.
    He is compassionate towards each spiritual aspirant and hence always asking KRshNa for easier and easier alternatives.
    Arjun was also anusUya ( not envious), which also leads to compassion. Hence he was the candidate to hear Gita from KRshNa first hand.

So, to the extent possible, and that things are in our hands, we must help. However, it can be challenging in the world as long as one has many obligations and responsibilities. The best way to know when to take action is to be one-pointedly devoted to Guru and BhagavAn (God). Follow your intuition (i.e. antaryAmi), but also Their instructions - external and internal.

The Rshis taught us:
    sarvetra sukhinah: santu
    sarve santu nirAmaya
    sarve bhadrANi pashyantu
    mA kaschit dukham ApnuyAt
    Om shAnti shAnti shantih:

May there be peace and happiness everywhere,
    May there be no ailments (sickness) and inaupicousness
    May all be showered with auspiciousness / happenings
    May there be no sorrow, sadness
    Om, May there be peace peace peace!

_/\_

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 02 February 2013 at 03:51 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thank you Smaranam

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Here is another I came across on reading the Uddhava Gita [UG]:

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna to Uddhava in UG 12:19
    Travelling far from urban areas, one should gather the food he acquired from begging and find a reservoir of water in a secluded place. Then, having cleansed oneself thoroughly, one should willingly distribute the food to others who are nearby, and while doing so he should not utter a word. After this, he can consume whatever remains, without leaving anything over for a future meal.
    Another beautiful story in the Mahabharatha is how Karna keeps his word of not letting anyone leave his doorstep empty handed even if it means his death. Indra approaches Karna as a poor person and asks for his invincible armour and earrings. Karna takes them of and gives it to Indra without thinking twice to keep his word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karna#Karna_and_Indra

Yet another:

Quote Originally Posted by Rig Veda 10:117
    He is never happy who does not offer food to the hungry, to his friend. He who does not help his friends is no friend at all. The rich must give alms to the beggars. He who does not have the feeling of charity is in fact wasting the food he is consuming.
    Slightly different version below:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10117.htm

Thread Information