Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Re: Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Not intended to derail this topic, but I wish to ask, "How about the females' makeup - Lipstick and face lotion/compact, are they 'safe for vegetarian use'?"
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

As I am enjoying munching the delicious turbinado sugar from wholefoods that I got just now, I am wondering how much grateful I should towards the HDF members to make this happen.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25...rbinado-sugar/

It is apparently healthier, vegan and its only a negligible difference in taste..for me actually tastes better!

I think I must have been a real bonehead for getting white sugar till today

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Not intended to derail this topic, but I wish to ask, "How about the females' makeup - Lipstick and face lotion/compact, are they 'safe for vegetarian use'?"
    This one is an important subject on its own...about animal products in external use. Also very useful thing to know and we have a long way to go I guess. Maybe a different thread required?

You can also get coconut sugar.

praNAm

Not necessarily, unless consciously made that way. Very easy to find vegetarian chapsticks and winter lotions, some herbal products in regular stores, others in special stores. In India it is very easy to get ahimsa products since ayurved and ahimsa pervades the consciousness of the culture despite westernization and modernization.

Please see the following sites and the post and the whole thread that follows the list for ahimsa products - free of silk,leather,pearl, and animal products.

www.thekrishnastore.com
    www.naturalnirvana.com (seems to have disappeared)
    www.ahimsafootwear.com
    www.mooshoes.com

HDF Thread "silk"
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...9&postcount=15

_/\_

Radhe Shyam
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Many cosmetics are used first on animals before being sold to the public. Or at least, this was the case 10-20 years ago. You may find some products that are specifically "animal-friendly."

In the last few years, there have been an explosion of websites selling products geared towards vegetarians. Pangea.com is a great place to get non-leather or faux-leather products.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    I am curious why you mention it though... don't raw milk cheese have animal rennet in them?
    Vanakkam,

I'm sure about that, at last for traditionnal cheese. There are different types of cheeses here:

-Industrial cheese, like everywhere else
    -"Traditionnal" cheese

There are hundreds of different types of "traditionnal cheese" (I can say each part of France have its own xD) and they are almost always made with raw milk in farms.

There is no animal rennet in them, and no need to: because mushrooms and various bacteria do the same thing in a complete natural way. That makes the "crust" part of the cheese, mushrooms and bacteria. In industrial cheeses it's not always made like this, for example sometimes it's made with some kind of plastic of industrial thing.

"natural" cheeses are little more expansive than industrial cheese, but not always. You can find small, mediums of big portions of all kind of raw milk cheeses at all prices. I love to buy goat cheese made like this ! I buy a big round for what, 1 or 2.5 euros ?

I know in the US (and in Europe too) this kind of raw milk cheese made with bacteria and mushrooms are frowned upon "for sanitary concerns". There are many trying to ban these cheeses but...Nobody in France wants that. It's been thousand years that thousand of cheeses are made like this, and there wasn't a giant plague or anything because of it. Plus, many bacterias from milk are really, really, really good for stomach health !
    I don't understand why they want to ban them from cheeses, and beside they sell them as medecines in pharmacy ! XD

Well I understand a cheese made like this does not look sexy for someone that isn't used to it xD But I guess it's just an habit

Like it was suggested, just give a call at the companies, they will sure answer you

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Lipstick is a no-no, unless it is specifically vegetarian. Lipstick is made of fish scales!

I use lip gloss instead as an alternative out there.

I have to say though, many cosmetic products are tested on animals.

For foundation powder, I used to buy it from the shop. Nowadays, I just use cornstarch, and it does a wonderful job!

Breakfast time!

Here's a good list of Vegan Breakfast including cereals:

http://www.geari.org/vegan-products-...ry-stores.html
    http://www.peta.org/living/vegetaria...breakfast.aspx

But there are more options for vegetarians.

Kashi seems to be a good brand for vegetarians...but since it uses honey it is not acceptable for vegans.

The following link contains replies from Kelloggs & POST...don't know how authentic it is. They say that they use vitamin D from sheep's hair.

http://www.mighty-flighty.com/2011/0...ces-in-cereal/

Kellogg's mini wheats uses gelatin.

Vannakkam: Just a couple of late additions ... regarding white sugar, you don't need any extra sugar at all. Fruits and vegetables provide all the sugar you need. People don't speak of sweet mangoes for some other reason.

Different countries have different labeling laws, so you need to be aware of that. Here in Canada cheese is safe if it has the word 'macrobial enzyme' as its of plant origin. It there's rennet, it has to be labelled. Most Canadian cheese is safe because the rennet supplier's long term contracts expired several years back.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Just a couple of late additions ... regarding white sugar, you don't need any extra sugar at all. Fruits and vegetables provide all the sugar you need. People don't speak of sweet mangoes for some other reason.

Different countries have different labeling laws, so you need to be aware of that. Here in Canada cheese is safe if it has the word 'macrobial enzyme' as its of plant origin. It there's rennet, it has to be labelled. Most Canadian cheese is safe because the rennet supplier's long term contracts expired several years back.

Aum Namasivaya
    I suppose that's true. I should try making a pie without sugar... I do not think my household would like it very much, but it sure would be super healthy!

And thank you for the update on the cheeses. I always forget that the standards between places like the United States and Canada are different when it comes to food, food labelling, and food packaging.

Thread Information